Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
723 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 738
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 723
Total: 723

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Few Update pics

Started by MLeavy737, August 30, 2010, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hey all, got a lot done past few days or so. Heres a few pics. Im trying to keep the base nice and compact. Also i wanted to be able to break the sim down and have the ability to move it with a uhaul in less than a days work. The main part of the base is the apprx 5x8 section thats on wheels. The side (wings so to speak) actually are bolted on and can easily be removed. The shell and framework obviously sit on top of all that madness. Still have the base decking to do for the main section. That will most likely be removable panels that hold all the interfacing. Prob up front somehwere. gettin there :)

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Bob Reed

Looks great Mike! Keep those pics coming!!

jskibo

Awesome job Mike!

Now I'm moivated!

Care to share your base measurements with us?  i like the idea
Less than 4 years to retirement......

matta757

looking good Mike... wish I had the room and resources to build something like that!

dnoize

very nice work mike.....keep the pictures coming !

Stef

MLeavy737

Quote from: jskibo on August 30, 2010, 06:01:17 PM
Awesome job Mike!

Now I'm moivated!

Care to share your base measurements with us?  i like the idea

Sure, ill get some measurements for ya but remember that base was build specifically for that shell and framework including having those exact flight controls and rudder pedals (not installed yet).

I would recommend doing what i did and first setup your shell. Now you can take measurements from there. Make a boxlike main section that holds the flight controls and provides support for seats, MIP, Throttle etc. Then have sides that attatch that provide support for the shell structure like i did. You can easily make it so it can be taken apart and moved in a few sections. Oh and put the whole thing on wheels :)

This is my third "base" build and im really happy with the design so far.

Ill put up a few more pics here from the beginning.. I think i have some of them posted already but whatever.. now there all here :) Let me know if you still want measurements.

Mike Leavy

jskibo

Thanks Mike.

Guess I will wait to order the FDS shell and work from there.  I like your take apart design work!
Less than 4 years to retirement......

JWS

Great shots Mike, not sure if it's wise to publish more material. Makes people very jealous I'm afraid.  ;D

JWS

jetpilot

Hi Mike,
Thank you very much for all the first hand information you share with us. I especially liked the pictures and measurement from the CB panel you post.
Your cockpit is really nice. I have some questions:
- The shell: Did you build it? is aluminum?
- The windows? where did you get those?
- For the yokes: are you doing any kind of load on the elevators?
Thank you
Roberto :idiot:

Boeing Skunk Works

Sorry I missed this thread Mike. Hope everything is going as planned.

I was, how shall I say? Under the care of a cardiac surgeon and cardiologist for the last seven weeks and for the forseeable six weeks.

But I'm alive and kicking.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

MLeavy737

No problem, glad to hear your doing OK!  Sounds a littl scary to me!

Mike Leavy

fordgt40

Mike

Tremendous work, I am very impressed. I have just started the basic design process to link my yokes/columns and recognise some of the principles you are using. It would be a great help at some stage if you could accompany your photos with some narrative to outline your design criteria and application - your hardware solution is impressive and I would love to understand more

Thanks for sharing this great work

David

MLeavy737

David,
Just so you know, the hardware from this build is from www.Nothernflightsim.com Mostly what you see there. The steel structure, fiberglass shell and flight controls. The rest of that is wood designed around the hardware.

I Have linked real controls together in the past using a steel tube, 2 mounted bearning and some brackets with connecting bars in the past. Ill try and find some pics for ya if that will help you.

Mike Leavy

fordgt40

Hi Mike

Thanks for the offer, though I am progessing with a similar linkage to that you suggested. It was what appeared to be the variable  control loading mechanism towards the top of the picture that interested me. I will try your link

Thanks

David

MLeavy737

Hey all :)

Wow just doing a nostalgia visit remembering the good old days of sim building!! Cant believe i actually had an an almost complete 737 in my house! lol.  I must apologize for being absent so long however life, kids, and work seems to have taken me in different directions the past few years! (mostly work!).

I must say I'm so impressed with the level this hobby has reached and the individual builds are just incredible!! Simply amazing! 

Well..  even though i fly these airplanes 4 days a week I've been getting that bug again lol.. well see..

Hope my old friends here are doing well and i sure miss y'all!

Mike Leavy

blueskydriver

Hi Mike,

Wow! Great too hear from you! I would love seeing you back here more, as well as building again. Like the other real pilots that build, you were our resident B737 pilot that could answer those question us non-pilots would never know...like my favorite one...what does it really sound like in the cockpit? You posted a recording from your phone and it realy answered the question; especially, the "bump and thud of the nose gear".

Anyway, things in the flight sim world have changed (like always...lol) with software and hardware, but it's mostly still the same players on the field. Here in the CB there are many new members with a great deal of talent and with amazing builds that you might've seen, as well as the old timers that have always been here making some really nice cockpits.
Hopefully, you'll be able to start a new build and maybe, even do the software project you were thinking of doing many years ago...

Best Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Hi Mike
Good to see you back
Jack

Jack

MLeavy737

Thanks Guys :)

Nice to see familiar names!  Im still around if anyone has any questions on the airplane of course.  Ill do better thumbing through the forums again as i really enjoy the conversation and helping out :)

Amazingly time has just sailed by.  10 years on the airplane so far with about 8k hours in it! Looking forward to seeing the Max's start showing up next year!

As far as building again.. I would really love to continue all i had going in the past! Been thinking about starting with the Audrino cards i see so much about. Ill have to thumb through these posts and see whats going on there. Also its integration with X-Plane. Im guessing not much has changed and mostly the build still consist of FS-X?

Nice to see y'all again!
Mike Leavy

fsaviator

Hi MIke!  Great to see you in here
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

MLeavy737

Hey Warren!

There's a name I recognize :) hope all is well! Last I remember you were in Germany?

Mike L

bernard S

time for you to come to Austin   ;D

MLeavy737

I'm there all the time with work and family :)

It may not be a good idea if I see a sim however! lol. I've already been planning and the wife is NOT happy! She remembers seeing money fly out the window.

Ill let ya know when I have a long layover there!

Mike L

fsaviator

Mike, I'm actually in Washington now, with a projected move back to Colorado Springs in the summer of 2018!
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Trevor Hale

Quote from: fsaviator on March 12, 2017, 12:30:27 PM
Mike, I'm actually in Washington now, with a projected move back to Colorado Springs in the summer of 2018!

LOL We should call you the man with "NO FIXED ADDRESS"... Hopefully this will be the last one until retirement.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate