Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 08:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
745 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 745
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 745
Total: 745

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My FDS MIP Build

Started by XOrionFE, October 31, 2010, 09:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Well, I dont know if I posted anything about the MIP yet but have been working on it.   I  am using the new FDS MIP and assembled earlier to fit out in the shell.  Now I have been back to work getting it ready to fly.    Here are some pics.

XOrionFE

and some more.....

You can see my little helper in the last one.  That is my 4 year old son Matthew.    Future 737 Sim pilot!

Scott

XOrionFE

and finally....some pictures of the FDS lower panels with my wonderful set of Simknobs.  Unfortunately as we just saw Nihad is no longer going to produce these but maybe someone else will pick up the torch.   Nihad....I promised to post pictures at some point.   Here they are!   Come back.....

GOTTA LOVE THOSE BEAUTIFUL FlightDeck Solutioins IBL Panels!!!!

NAX228

Very nice spread of the light. Shouldnt at least one of the switches be turned up? ;) hehe...
What do you use for backlighting source?
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

shaneb

Hey Scott,

Really looks great . . now I see who is doing all the work!  That is how you are coming along so fast.      :laugh:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

XOrionFE

Quote from: NAX228 on October 31, 2010, 10:00:43 AM
Very nice spread of the light. Shouldnt at least one of the switches be turned up? ;) hehe...
What do you use for backlighting source?

Actually the pot for the backlighting is not connected yet as I need to source some PWMs for this but it will be for sure.     I am also waiting on some warm white LED strips as the ones I had I did not like because they were bright white and gave off too much of a bluish hue.     All of the pots for lighting will be working as well as the others interfaced to Sim-A for DU brightness control.

Not sure what you mean by "backlighting source".   These are FDS IBL panels that take a 5 vdc input.   This is supplied from an ATX power supply.   My sim will be using 2 of these (maybe 3).

NAX228

I see. Wondered if you had used LEDs or LED strips behind and got this nice result. I have just finished my own backlights tonight, but don't get the light distrubated so smoothly. Saying you use the IBLs kinda exlpains it :D
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

carlos hermida

Smiffy

Hi:

QuoteI am also waiting on some warm white LED strips

Not sure if this is of any use but when researching your warm white strips, what you are looking for is 'Colour Temerature' this is measured in Degrees Kelvin, and 3000 Degs K is roughly in line with your average Tungsten Household lamps. The lower the number, the redder the light source, the higher the number, the bluer the light source. Daylight sits at about 6500 Degs K. Most theatrical tungsten lanterns sit at about 3200K.

LED's are getting there slowly, and in the household world have caught on a lot quicker than in the theatrical world because the colour rendition isn't quite so important in the home market.

Useful people to look at from the pro side of things are a company called Schnick Shnack Systems in Germany, who do an interesting range of strip lighting, all PCB based, and i use them in stage sets quite a bit. Although i tend to order 1,000's of units at a time so not sure if they have a minimum order qty.

Hope that that is a little bit useful in your search.

Cheers

Smiffy

XOrionFE

Thank you Smiffy

That was very nice info.   I have found LED strips that worked out perfect and put off just the right color but the info you posted is helpful for future.    In fact, if you would, please make a seperate thread on LED colors and brightness.   It would be a great further reference for all. 

I should have more pictures of my lighting very soon.

Scott

luisgordo

Cool !!  Nice work Scott !
Instructor Station
www.iStationGordo.com

Flight Data Recorder Mobile
http://www.istationgordo.com/instructorstation/fdr

XOrionFE

Here are some new pictures.   Here you can see that the MIP is operational.   Captains CDU is in (still awaiting FO CDU but on order and that hole will be filled).   You can also see the fire panel I just got from Mike Leavy (thank you Mike).   The Simparts TQ is excellent.   I still have to hook up the phidgets servo cards and program it but that is a minor formality.    Also need to wire the overhead from FDS and get it installed.   I am temporarily using a 19" monitor in its place running the Sim-A softare overhead which is fine for the moment.   Last I will have to finish up with installing the rest of the authentic interior panels I have for the sides which will close it in.   

This was a flight from KSEA to KSFO just having some fun. 

Scott

philb737

Nice job Scott thank you for sharing, talk to you soon!!!!
Phil :idiot: ;)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

jackpilot

The last one feels like flying  high...sure you did...great job!

Jack

shaneb

That looks really great . . will add even more to the feel when the interior panels go in.  You are going to have an awesome sim!    :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

ETomlin

Yep, agreed. Glad you got that firepanel too! I wouldnt know what to do if I ever come fly the sim and catch the thing on fire :-) J/K. Very nice progress in a short time!
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

dharrison

Scott,

Oh crap, didn't even notice the fire panel when I looked last night. Some more fun stuff to light up!!!
Speaking of emergencies, last time we were flying we had a nav 1 failure (usb plug fell out...) reached up on the overhead and switched to nav 2 as the source and shot the ILS. Very nice features of Sim-A!!! Seems we are getting all the other issues sorted too.

Don

Kennair

Wow fantastic panels Scott, you must be very excited.  You've gotta love those FDS panels when they light up hey?  One tiny insie-winsie pick though, all that fabulous sim and Saitek pedals???  :o  No seriously, all looks great and I'm sure you have plans for Revolution or FDS pedals to complete the project.

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

jackpilot

Quote from: Kennair on January 21, 2011, 07:55:21 AM
  all looks great and I'm sure you have plans for Revolution or FDS pedals to complete the project.

I'm working on that ...Hé-Hé ;)

Jack

XOrionFE

Quote from: Kennair on January 21, 2011, 07:55:21 AM
Wow fantastic panels Scott, you must be very excited.  You've gotta love those FDS panels when they light up hey?  One tiny insie-winsie pick though, all that fabulous sim and Saitek pedals???  :o  No seriously, all looks great and I'm sure you have plans for Revolution or FDS pedals to complete the project.

Cheers,

Ken.

Yeah your right Ken.  No way those Saitek will be in there long.  Just temporary.   I have a full set of real pedals and am awaiting to see how Jack's turn out as well as something that another member here is working on.    Definitely will be taken care of :-)

Scott

blueskydriver

Scott,

Did you make the seat adjustment handles (up on the wind screen) or did you purchase them?

blueskydriver (BSD)
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 21, 2011, 02:31:11 PM
Scott,

Did you make the seat adjustment handles (up on the wind screen) or did you purchase them?

blueskydriver (BSD)

I just made them from some parts I got from the local hardware store.   

Kris S

Wow Scott looks fantastic. Great work!!

XOrionFE

2nd CDU from FDS arrived yesterday and that along with an update to Sim-A made my day!    I installed the CDU this morning before heading out to work and updated Sim-A to latest version (took me all of about 30 minutes).    All I had a chance to do was light everything up, take a couple quick pictures with the iphone camera and do a couple circuits around KSFO and it was time to shutdown so I could head to the office.   Here are a couple pics.   Sorry for the lower quality and slight blurriness.

Scott

jskibo

Looks Awesome Scott!

I got my one CDU yesterday as well.  Really love the feel of them.

Having two together must be heaven!
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate