Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
256 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 286
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 256
Total: 256

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Alaska Airlines N512AS 737-800

Started by Flyboyandre, April 22, 2012, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlos hermida

Flyboyandre

Guys, let me start out by saying thank you.
I am a user of many forums but have been drawn more and more to this one as it serves as a fantastic channel between rookies like me and the experts out there. Some people may have a flat learning curve while some learn fast. Regardless there is great support for all experience levels.

I have been on both sides as a moderator on radio controlled car forums and I've seen much of the garbage that gets thrown out there and it creates a very venomous environment.
I can't say that I have ever seen much of bickering going on within the cockpitbuilders forum and it energizes me to see new and experienced simmers work together towards a common goal: expanding the population base and experience level within the flight simulator world.

I hesitate to use names as I tend to forget some, which isn't fair or intentional. I can only say that other forums would be better off having individuals like Jack, Scott, Mike, Trevor, etc.
I also want to say a special thank you to Gene Buckle who stepped in right away when he noticed how close he lived to me. He has helped me haul wood, Helped brainstorm, etc.

It looks like the project is catching attention everywhere. Today I learned that the Alaska Airlines chief pilot in Seattle may shoot me an e-mail to get me up close to the real thing. This will hopefully give me an opportunity to take pics of every little detail as we pursue realism to the fullest.

My 9 year old got me a detail spray gun for father's day and I'm happy with the final paint result although the top fade was left somewhat narrow. I did this on purpose as the fade is 20 feet above the ground on the real thing while mine would be right in your face. However, I think that the contrast is there due t the sharp paint lines separating dark blue from the aqua top. Kudos to the lady at The zhome Depot for being patient with me during color customization :)
Oh yeah, Frog Tape rules!!!!!!!!!

In all sincerity, you guys are class act.

Of course as in any other posts, I have to ask for advice/support.....
Anyone have a closeup of a 737 pitot tube? By chance maybe even dimensions?

MLeavy737

That is just awesome!! Nice work!

I can get you a closeup of a pitot tube prob tomorrow morning at O'Dark thirty as long as i dont forget cause im still half asleep. 

I like the stripes on the sides, hoping to do something like that on my shell.  Looks great!

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Flyboyandre

Quote from: MLeavy737 on June 18, 2012, 01:31:04 PM
That is just awesome!! Nice work!

I can get you a closeup of a pitot tube prob tomorrow morning at O'Dark thirty as long as i dont forget cause im still half asleep. 

I like the stripes on the sides, hoping to do something like that on my shell.  Looks great!

Mike L

That would be so awesome Mike. Yeah, the stripes are cool. I am imitating the "Spirit of Seattle" color scheme as seen on this picture, hence also modelling this exact tail number N512AS.
Maybe a stupid question. What are those raised knobs on top of the nose?

vidarf

You mean in front of the front windows, just aft of the radar dome (the actual nose)? Vortex generators. They reduce the wind noise in the cockpit by 3 dB:
http://www.b737.org.uk/fuselage.htm
Scroll to the bottom.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: vidarf on June 18, 2012, 02:43:12 PM
You mean in front of the front windows, just aft of the radar dome (the actual nose)? Vortex generators. They reduce the wind noise in the cockpit by 3 dB:
http://www.b737.org.uk/fuselage.htm
Scroll to the bottom.

Takk takk :)

vidarf

;) Forsiktig med språket nå, ellers tror folk du skal montere gønner på hærligheten. :D

Trevor Hale

Amazing!!!

We like you being here as a part of our group too Andre.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

MLeavy737

Here ya go.. close as i can get without hanging out the window too far :)

Mike L

Flyboyandre

Quote from: vidarf on June 18, 2012, 11:53:51 PM
;) Forsiktig med språket nå, ellers tror folk du skal montere gønner på hærligheten. :D

Lol

Flyboyandre

Quote from: MLeavy737 on June 19, 2012, 06:15:58 AM
Here ya go.. close as i can get without hanging out the window too far :)

Mike L

You are awesome Mike! Any chance you could get a shot of those Vortex Generators on the nose if you ever have access to a pic opportunity?
Don't want to overextend your generosity :)

MLeavy737

Andre,
  I would get some VG pics but i dont think we have em installed on our airplanes. At least i dont remember seeing any.  I dont think the company cares too much about our hearing in the airplane :)

Mike L

Flyboyandre

Quote from: MLeavy737 on June 20, 2012, 08:29:56 AM
Andre,
  I would get some VG pics but i dont think we have em installed on our airplanes. At least i dont remember seeing any.  I dont think the company cares too much about our hearing in the airplane :)

Mike L

Lol. I think I have a good idea of the looks.

Flyboyandre

She's a wrap! Well, almost a wrap. Got the "skirt" for the base frame cut, installed and painted today. Only windows, the metal window trim and a few realistic N512AS specific graphics pieces remains to be completed on the exterior shell.
There will also be a few unique exterior pieces, including pitot tubes and other goodies :)

DaveC

Nice job Andre.  Lots of work and really looks beautiful.  Congrats.

Dave C.

Flyboyandre

Quote from: DaveC on June 26, 2012, 06:22:10 PM
Nice job Andre.  Lots of work and really looks beautiful.  Congrats.

Dave C.

Thank you all!
She is by no means perfect but i've stretched my woodworking skills to the limit. Look forward to beginning with the inside, although it will take a lot longer :)

Flyboyandre

She's got her birthmarks. Thanks to Steve for making the stencils, allowing me to apply the real life markings on the side and above the nose windows.
Now while I await some real Boeing parts I will be lifting the frame onto its wheels in order to manouver it around.

Flyboyandre

Just as I got the 8th wheel in place on the 737 it was time to start the demolition work on the old simpit.
It feels a bit surreal to tear down something that took so long bringing to life.
R.I.P Simpit, you helped me capture memories from all across the world!

This picture was one of my lead in pictures to this entire build. I felt it was fitting to post it once again as it captures the last experience in the old pit. This was the last time It was powered up.

This is what remains as of tonight.....

vidarf

Then let me give you a motivational boost. This is what you're heading for, or something very close to it:

That image has been printed out and hangs in my temp. simroom...

geneb

Looks awesome!

This week the mortal remains of v1 will hit the local landfill. *sigh*

I notice in that picture above that there doesn't appear to be any HUD in the overhead over the capt seat.  Is that typical for the 800?

Looks like lots of neat things to vacuform though.  Might have to build an oven this summer. :D

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Flyboyandre

Happy 4th everyone!
Today I was a man on a mission as I moved from the emotional stage to the beat the crap out of it with a hammer stage.
What I envisioned to be a day filled with exercise, ended up with a bunch of war wounds.
The bi$&@ fought me all the way and really took advantage of a slight stepladder mishap and nailed me with a 4" screw all the way to the bone. The damn board was still stuck on me as I stood up. This just ended up pissing me off to and I went to town like a madman.
Luckily my hammer blows blended wonderfully with the neighborhood fireworks show.
I would have flattened thenwholendarn thing if I could only reach the one wall that is still standing but it will have to wait until we get a couple of loads to the landfill tomorrow.
Now that I look at the end game pictures, it looks like I missed a Tornado warning. Luckily the gods decided to spare the 737 :)

It's weird to imagine that 2 years worth of work was flattened in about 8 hours.
However, she fought me all the way.
So instead of rest in peace I would now like to say "burn in hell!".

vidarf

If you don't bleed, you're not doing it right! :D

geneb

...and you went to the ER.  Right?  RIGHT?

kids these days. :D

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Flyboyandre

Here she is, dumped at the landfill station. Took 3 truck loads to get it all out of my damn driveway and garage but this time Man beat Plane.
I can still see Gene's head shaking while he mutters "Vapor barrier, really?

However, look at all of that space she left behind. Now comes a slight adjustment to my workbench area to create room for the curved visual setup.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate