Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 10:11:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
76 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 96
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

3 65" LED TVS

Started by N606DL, March 02, 2015, 06:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N606DL

Hello has anyone here used 3 65" led tvs for their visuals? If so does it affect fps at all?

Danny

jackpilot

The size of the TVs and whether it is TV or projectors has nothing to do with FPS.

Fluidity depends on the number of images you want

3 different views (front, left and right)
vs
one single front stretched (zoomed out) view spread over 3 TVs/projectors.

Jack

Jack

N606DL

Cool thanks, I plan on tripleh2go with 3 of those tvs.

Flying_Fox

Quote from: N606DL on March 02, 2015, 08:13:41 AM
Cool thanks, I plan on tripleh2go with 3 of those tvs.

Be careful with that.
Using TH2GO means you will be using single PC to render the FSX visuals picture. With 1920x1080 resolution you will get a slideshow visuals. If you cut the resolution of each of 3 views to, say 1280 x 800 (which might give you at least some 20 FPS) , you will not get the visual quality that you hoping for buying 65" full HD TV.
It's a tradeoff.

Nick

N606DL

Interesting, is anyone here using a 3 tv setup that they can pass along their knowledge?

Trevor Hale

I am using a 3 Monitor Setup using a TripleHead2Go.  Sitting on a ramp at KJFK with Clear Sunny Skies, I get 29-30fps. (Locked at 30)

In the Rain, and lots of clouds using Active Sky 2012 (SP3)  I can go as low as 18FPS.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

N606DL

Hey Trevor, what size monitors are you using? I need to go 65" tvs's

KyleH

The physical size of monitors is irrelevant for performance of flightsim. What matters is, the resolution of those monitors and what you are try to drive them at. A 1080p TV is going to have a higher resolution than one at 720p, and therefore affect frame rates if using the higher resolution.
A TH2GO takes 3 monitors(or TV's or projectors) and makes the video card think that it is one big monitor. If you just use one big window stretched across all 3 TV's you'll get better performance than if you put 3 windows, one on each TV.

Keep in mind that 20fps is still flyable, even with an occasional drop to 18. Much lower than that though and your watching a slide show.
Are you using FSX?
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

Flying_Fox

It's not a question of monitor or TV size, it's a question of monitor or TV resolution you want to use. Currently there is still no hardware available that could provide 3 x (1920 x 1080) image at acceptable frame rates on a single computer.
It will work, but sloooooow.  :angel:

Trevor Hale

Not 100% Sure, but I think I am running 3 monitors each at 1280 X 1024  = 3840 X 1024 Resolution.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

sagrada737

I have been running three (3) 70" HDTV (VIZIO) via HDMI with good success.

I started out with a TH2G, but quickly changed over to a NVIVIA GTX680 video card, in the Surround mode, with Bezel correction.  The full-screen resolution I am using under FSX is 5670 x 1080, with the resultant display quality being very nice, with excellent contrast.  I have since changed my video card to a EVGA NVIDIA OC GTX980.  The GTX980 drives the three monitors via DisplayPort to HDMI adapters - very clean arrangement.

I am setup with the typical 4 undocked window arrangement in the FLT file, yielding three separate Views in FSX.  My Sim is configured with one high-end overclocked computer running FSX, with a normal computer running the 737-800 Sim-Avionics flight model.

In order to keep frame rates as high as possible, I have tweaked the FSX computer as much as possible, while still keeping it reliable.  My motherboard is an ASRock Z77 with an Intel i7 4770k processor, now running at 4.7GHz.   This by itself is not enough to keep frame rates high enough for most scenery installations, so I did what most folks do and have configured and run NVIDIA Inspector, with close attention given to fine-tuning all the Kosta Tweaks.  This combined with FSX Scenery Slider settings has made for a very nice and smooth display, with what for me was a good balance - all this is highly subjective.  My Frame Rate is limited at 30 fps by NVIDIA Inspector, and I typically get close to 30 fps where ever I fly.  I run MegaScenery hi-res stuff, FSDreamTeam airports, Latin VFR airports, full ORBX Global Base, LC, and Vector, with FSGenesis Terrain Mesh - all with good performance - even with ActiveSky Next weather.

My opinion and conclusion is that you can get there using HDTV monitors, but you will have to consider the sort of configuration details I have mentioned above, with other variables for your particular setup.  Others on this forum may offer some good comments on "tweaking FSX".

Opinions on using monitors for a Sim display are all over the map, and it really relates to what you want for your own Sim project.  For my setup, I greatly enjoy the large screens and the relatively hassle free setup and interface using monitors.  Others prefer the joy of projectors for a better sense of immersion.   Each approach has its merits.

But relative to performance, you will still need to seriously consider the capabilities of your Sim computer systems to drive your visuals, whether monitor or projection.  No free lunch with FSX  :)   Prepar3D and XPlane may be another matter, but I don't have any experience with those offerings.  Hope this helps you with your decision.

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

N606DL

Wow thanks for all the input guys much appreciated. Kyle yes I am using FSX, using LevelD 767.

D

N606DL

I wonder if anyone has started using the curved screen tvs that are out. Anyone out there?

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate