Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 02:35:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
693 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 762
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 693
Total: 693

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Backlight OC ovh panels

Started by airupthere, January 31, 2017, 03:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airupthere

Hey everyone. I thought I had a great strategy.. the OC cards come with a 5mm thick or so clear acrylic as a backplate. I thought I could drill 3mm holes spaced apart and put 3mm through hole LEDS.. well, you can guess what happened. Lots of "hot spots" right where the LED is..

I see everyone uses the strips.. does that avoid the hot spots? Do I just need to place the LEDS a lot closer together? Should I build another standoff that holds the LEDS so they're not pressed right up against the panel?

jackpilot

Leds are to be placed away from the engravings never under them.
As you can see on your picture , inscriptions away from the leds are OK

Jack

airupthere

Thanks jack! Learning this stuff the hard way.  :-[

jackpilot

Nothing real hard here ! just ask  :D

Jack

paulnd

The viewing angle of various types of LEDs also makes a difference. Standard dome LEDs have a narrow viewing angle of about 20 to 30 degrees which will give a small circle of light whereas straw hat LEDs have a viewing angle of about 170 degrees which will give a wider spread of light. Flat top LEDs have a viewing angle of about 120 degrees.

Fortunately LEDs are quite cheap as I have 100s of unused dome LEDs which I bought before experimenting with the different types.

Similar to Jack's good advice, the bulbs are positioned away from the engraving in OEM panels. 

Paul

airupthere

Thanks Paul, Yeah I bought dome, and flat-top LED's.. The dome have a warm white, the flat-top a 6,000K give or take.. so they're much "whiter" (is that a word?) Yeah, i sure wish I would have asked this question on this board first, but like I said - I like to learn from the school of hard knocks. I'll be figuring out a way to undo my mistake for the next few days.

Randy

jackpilot

You can also try to sand down the top of the led with grit paper.
Could help diffuse the light better.
Real backlighting is usually orange in color.
Jack

Jack

Flying_Fox

Quote from: airupthere on January 31, 2017, 03:02:54 PM
I see everyone uses the strips.. does that avoid the hot spots?

LED stripes are far easier to use than single leds, and yes, they provide better light distribution, however youneed to carefully plan the stripes pieces arrangements.

You can take a look how I did backlighting in my sim if you did not see it already.

http://elephantair737.blogspot.ca/p/backlighting.html

:2cw:

Nick

airupthere

ELEPHANTAIR!!! I have checked your stuff out, and love your site.. I'm geeking out a bit that you're responding to one my posts. :)

I've been thinking standing the LED's off the back plate a bit will help with the diffusion of the light. I like what you're doing with the corrugated board. Thanks for the awesome site and all the advice.

Randy

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate