Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 08:03:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
737 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 745
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 737
Total: 737

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Feedback on FDS MIP bundle

Started by airupthere, February 02, 2017, 09:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airupthere

I'm really interested in the flightdeck solutions MIP bundle that includes the CDU bay, and the glareshield. It is expensive $3,300 + hardware kit, I suspect about $4k all in.. Mostly as a time saver, but I am a first-time sim builder, so I'm looking to cut time, and mistakes.. Is FDS the best quality that everyone can think of?

All input welcome.

Randy

Trevor Hale

Hi Randy,

There are some other vendors to check as well, Do some research...  (FDS, Engravity, Sismo) Each have their ups and downs.  Just like automakers what is advertised, isn't always what you get.  Be cautious when you buy "TURN KEY SOLUTIONS" As if you have technical issues down the road, your ability to troubleshoot them will be limited. I suggest before you dive in.... Read Read Read and Read.. 

Which ever vendor you choose, be prepared for (Paying and waiting Months for your stuff to arrive).. 

No vendor keeps stock of anything, and most of the items are build to order.

FDS Will sell you a sound product, so will the other vendors I mentioned, but all of which will have longer lead times then communicated to you.  If not (Great) but be prepared to wait 50% longer at a minimum, and if it shows up earlier then that's a bonus.

ALSO::  Import charges will be massive.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

airupthere

Thanks Trevor.. Definitely trying to do lots and lots of research. My thought was to build the shell first, and then get the MIP, but I'm hearing that MIPs vary in terms of their dimensions.. So then I was thinking, well it's better to get something like the FDS mip, and build around it?

The FDS stuff seems to have their stuff together from a marketing perspective, but that doesn't necessarily equate to a better product? I will checkout the other websites you mention. I don't expect to pull the trigger on this until after a months worth of research..

Randy

737NGer

I'd recommend you lookup Simworld. I don't use their hardware myself, but to my knowledge the dimensions of their panels are very close to the real thing.

Their customer service is of a very high standard from what I've heard.

Regards,
Youssef

jackpilot

The subject has been widely covered, check forums.
All major vendors structures are scale 1:1 (except one or two mm here and there, depending on engineering solutions ). I use many real parts and never had a problem fitting them in my sim.

The advice I always give is to choose carefully ONE vendor and stick with it.
Mixing structural  parts   is always a source of frustration and endless adjustments. So choose preferably one vendor who can supply all the elements of your project

Avoid if possible vendors who ask for a full payment upfront, usually a 20-30% deposit is fair.

Expect, as Trevor said, fairly long lead times, (though shorter for regular clients after a while)

All prices are before tax and you will have to pay sales tax whether it is coming from Europe, Canada or US.

Shipping costs and custom duties can be a major cost factor too.
Besides reliability cannot be 100%, and you may have over the years to send back some units for service. Ease of contact,  Shipping & customs again a factor.
As far as vendors shell and MIP are concerned, engineering conflicts can be a real pain. Ask builders who have been there done that. Just realize that you will build both separately,  a shell is a cramped place, with no room to build your MIP inside. You have to make sure that both will fit together, unless you build a shell yourself.

Not an easy decision for sure. :P
Jack

Jack

tennyson

I bought one of those bundles, as my second 737 build.
It was expensive, as you say, but the quality blew me away.

I'm an unashamed FDS fanboy, so you won't hear a bad word from my mouth about FDS.
To be honest, tho, Peter and Steve Cos have been two of the nicest and easiest guys I've ever dealt with, in the sim industry.

Back to the MIP, I also bought the ready made wiring loom that fits straight to the MIP. It was fabulous. I had the whole thing wired in hours.

I've already had a year or so, of great pleasure and many more to come.

I give it the big thumbs up!

Frank

Lomaric

Quote from: tennyson on February 03, 2017, 05:30:56 AM
I bought one of those bundles, as my second 737 build.
It was expensive, as you say, but the quality blew me away.

I'm an unashamed FDS fanboy, so you won't hear a bad word from my mouth about FDS.
To be honest, tho, Peter and Steve Cos have been two of the nicest and easiest guys I've ever dealt with, in the sim industry.

Back to the MIP, I also bought the ready made wiring loom that fits straight to the MIP. It was fabulous. I had the whole thing wired in hours.

I've already had a year or so, of great pleasure and many more to come.

I give it the big thumbs up!

Frank

I agree I have a FDS MIP and CDU stand (now I need more).  Quality is great and Pete and Steve are awesome people.  Also helped them assemble the 747 cockpit that PMDG will be using for their sim center.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate