Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 07:41:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
727 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 741
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 727
Total: 727

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Projectors and Curved Screen - Resolution Comparison

Started by Masterploxis, February 07, 2017, 01:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterploxis

Hi Guys,

after 2 years with a Setup of 3 WXGA Projectors i am playing with the though to upgrade to 3 x Full HD (Benq W1080ST or Optoma GT).

Now i would ask for your Support.

Can you take  Close up Pictures of the projected Image on your curved Screens which shows the Pixel density ?  Can you also please add some Information:

- brand of projector
- distance of projector lens to screnn (approx)
- rate the Picture Quality from 0 - 10 (10 ist best) subjective opinion how satisfied you are..

Maybe you also could send a Picture if you have a TV or large sized Monitor...

Your help would be greatly appreciated and i think it is a good think for all guys who think about getting a new visual System.

I am not very satisfied with the Pixel density and i can clearly see the single Pixels (WXGA Resolution)....

Andy
www.masterploxis.de

Nat Crea

Not sure why you need anyone to go to the hassle of
what you're asking.
A/ 1080p has 2 x the of pixel density of WXGA.
B/ The pixel size of 1080p in the same size image
are less than half the size of WXGA.
Surely that is enough to make a decision?   ???

Nat Crea

Masterploxis

Hi Nat,

Easy Answer - because a Pictures tells more than numbers on paper.

Twice the Pixel density sounds fine but one does not have any visual comparison how good or how bad it will look compared to WXGA (or other Resolutions).

As i do not have anybody near me who uses Short Throw Full HD Projectors, i wanted to ask about the opinion of the guys who have.

I see many nice Youtube Videos with full HD and WXGA, but from distance all Solutions look impressive. Only when you really have a closer look, you might get an idea if the Taxi signs are readable from distance or blurry "until you run over them"...

Especially for the people who are planning on their System, it might be helpfull to know what they can expect before they spend big Money.

Cheers
Andy

navymustang

Andy,
I could take pictures for you, but also not sure it would help. I have a three channel system with the BenQ 1080P projectors and I am very satisfied with it.

Each projector has its own PC and copy of P3D running. I use Immersive Display Pro as the design and warping software. All PCs are synched through WideView.

The PCs are driving he projectors with NVidia 1060 cards.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FredK

The issue of visible pixelation also has to do with the geometry dimensions of your screen.  The larger the projected surface area, the more spread out the pixels will be. So you need to be careful not to compare apples to oranges in that regard.

Likewise, to minimize such it is important to minimize keystoning.  I have seen some sloppy setups where there is significant keystone correction necessary which just serves to further disperse pixels within the projected area.  I have my projectors mounted so that there is essentially zero keystone adjustment required in their physical position.  The warping software will also disperse pixels of course but there is really no way around that.

My Optoma projectors are set about 4 feet from the screen and my radial curvature is offset to a constant radius from the pilot's eyepoint.  This completely eliminates the visual crabbing effect when seated in the pilot's seat (but of course exacerbates such from the perspective of the copilot's seat).  But the copilot is not supposed to be doing the flying....he is supposed to be managing communications and navigation anyhow.  And most times I am flying the sim alone and when I have a guest they are in the pilot's seat.  So that is my preference.  I realize others prefer differently.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Flying_Fox

Andy,

I don't think picture comparison would do any good. Obviously, the clarity would be better, but you should see it for yourself to compare.

I still have WXGA projectors (Optoma GT720/750 family) and still thinking of replacing them with 1080p. And the key feature for me is not pixel density alone, but the possibility to increase visual area height (124 cm currently), provide a bigger overlap and eliminate keystone correction, since my not-so-short-throw = 0.72 projectors had to be placed in two rows.
But, as old saying goes - the best is the enemy of the good. :)

:2cw:

Nick

Nat Crea

Andy,

Here you go, old pictures but the best I could find:

www.natvis.com.au/projector-resolution

Nat

blueskydriver

Hey Andy and Nat,

Andy thank you for asking about this and too you Nat for posting the two pics. Just by seeing those pics I learned it's about time for me to upgrade, as I am still using WXGA projectors. The difference is very visable and coming from the use of WXGA's where you just learn to block out the "screen door" effect, it looks like it will not be that way with HD projectors.

Funny story; years ago the typical statement going around was, just ignore the screen effect; besides, you spend more time looking in the cockpit then you do looking out. Well, I am curious about the guys who switched from WXGA to HD already, are you spending more time looking out now? I know that is a relative question, but has HD made you progress more towards the VFR of flying and navigating using landmarks and terrain features or are you still the same as before?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Flying_Fox

I have no HD yet, but I always liked scenic approaches and doing many "sightseeing" flights as you can see in my videos.  :angel:

Nat Crea

John,

Unfortunately the initial "HD buzz" doesn't last long and it quickly becomes "normal"...
human nature.
One thing for sure is once you go HD you can never go back.
Before anyone asks....no there are no short throw 4K projectors out yet (that costs less than a sports car!)

Nat

Masterploxis

Hi Nat,

thank you very much for posting These two Pics on your Website. This is exactly was i was looking for.

So clearly HD is a huge improvement over the WXGA and as you said, once you go that way, you can never return. Also the Information from Fred is something i never thought about...

This definately speaks for HD leaves me with the last question of all questions:
HD Projectors or big (60 Inch plus) TV Screen  :o

As you wrote both Options have their Pros and Cons.

Monitors
Pro:
-Space and Resolution
- slightly cheaper costs compared to Projector
- reduced heating of cokcpit room
Con:
-limited Fov and no use of existing curved Screen
Projector:
Pro:
- FOV and Use of existing Equipment
Con:
- Space and Resolution
-  Heating of room (good in winter, bad in summer)

So i will do some additional Research in the web and look some more YouTube Videos und check ebay or Amazon until i find the answer to my question....

And thanks to you for your Input again....

Andy

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate