Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 03:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
712 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 731
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 712
Total: 712

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Solenoid Engines Start Switch Installation

Started by zeineddine, August 13, 2017, 09:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeineddine

Hello everyone. I had bought the Simworld solenoid engines start switches and I have the Opencockpits Overhead. I am just not sure about some specifics for the installation and would truly appreciate any help. The connections to the inputs should be straight forward since I can use the same connection on the existing reglular switch. Connecting to a 12V DC is basic of course. I read somewhere that a Diode is needed to protect the computer from the electromagnetic field generated by the coil. I have no clue where to get that and how to do it. Also, it needs relay output coming back to it. How do I conenct a relay output from Opencockpits and would the Open cockpits Relays card work? (I have one).

Please help. Diode??? Relay output???

Many thanks
Rob

Trevor Hale

Do a google search for a 1n4142 Diode.

Order one and make sure the "WHITE LINE" on the diode connects to the same post on the solenoid as the +12V one and the other Side of the Diode goes to the Negative Post of the Solenoid.

(Essentially wired in parallel with the Solenoid" Keep in mind if you put the diode backwards.... (You will blow your power supply fuse)

Yes you will run 12V through your Relays card, and pass it onto the +12V pin of the solenoid.  Your Negative wire will go straight back to your Neg of your power supply.

The relay will act as a electronic switch, so when you write a program to make the switch "Close the relay" (During Start) and once your Starter kicks out "Open the relay" to disengage the solenoid.

Please don;t ask me to help you with the program, because I have no idea about open cockpits... Just helping you out with the Diode and answering your question about the relays card.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

zeineddine

Thank you so much Trev. Truly appreciate your help.
Rob

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate