Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 11:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
55 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What have you done for your simulator today?

Started by blueskydriver, January 14, 2018, 04:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayS

It begins... The conversion from X-Plane to FS2020. Found a great middleware app that interfaces any microcontroller to 2020. The micro-controller code is a bit complex but has proven to be rock-solid.

I made a daughterboard for the Arduino 256 that increases pin density with some modularity. The Teensy card on the daughterboard will let me still use X-Plane if I need to. However the last few flights I did with 2020 really has me sold on it.

There's a lot of critical middleware for X-Plane that doesn't appear to be getting any love, and since most, if not all, 3rd-party developers have abandoned X-Plane in favor of 2020, the writing is on the wall.

I will even lose my beloved B1900-D flight model because Carenado won't update it for XP-12.

Ray Sotkiewicz

Jason L

sagrada737

Hello Jason,

Great video!  Nice to see how well organized your Overhead project is, and how well you have documented things.  That will pay off when you integrate the various systems in your Sim.  Also, your new computer system is a reminder that we should consider from time-to-time upgrading our Sim computers.  Thanks for sharing, and deep up the good work!

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

bernard S

jackpilot

Jack

bernard S

the light cart that is what o am taling about

RayS

More work on the FS2020 conversion from X-Plane....

Wasn't really happy with the default King Air 350 in FS2020, so did a bit of research and found a Mod from a company called Black Square.
(https://contrail.shop/products/steam-gauge-overhaul-analog-king-air-msfs)

They don't create aircraft, but heavily modify the default FS2020 aircraft, essentially replacing all the internal systems and flight modeling, leaving only the exterior model alone.

I think I'm in love. This thing flies smoothly and doesn't have "a mind of it's own" like the AirFoil Labs KA350. My biggest concern (Other than modeling all the switchology correctly) was how she behaves on the ground. Turns out she's very docile, and will only creep up in groundspeed slowly. (Unlike the Airfoil Labs version which taxied like a bat out of hell)

She also has a service ceiling of 35,000ft and a top speed of 290kts indicated. (Almost as fast as you big boys out there...)

There's a few issues with the BATT and EXT PWR switches but I think I can work past it.

It can also run full-screen without a cockpit interior by commenting out 1 line in the model.cfg file.
Ray Sotkiewicz

bernard S

doing stuff

navymustang

wow - envy just doesn't seem a strong enough word !   :)
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

RayS

A short jaunt in the FS2020 KingAir 350i with the Black Square Mod....

She is a dream to fly. And the best part is that they've exposed everything via XML. I'll be able to get/set every variable in the aircraft using Arduino.

The center console has been ripped out... again... to reprogram the sim for FS2020.

(Now if I could just get rid of the windshield wipers!)

Ray Sotkiewicz

RayS

The conversion to FS2020 continues.... Pulled out the entire center console tonight to rework/rewire a few things. (Bob would be proud! :-) )
Ray Sotkiewicz

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

Hello Ray,   
Fantastic job on your Sim!  I greatly enjoy your videos.
Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

RayS

Wow! Been awhile since I've posted any updates....

I've spent the past 6 months doing a conversion from X-Plane to FS2020 using the Black Square King Air 350i.

It has not been easy. Needed to learn Reverse Polish Notation, and add a few more software interfaces which required their own learning curves.

At one point I was pretty much resigned to rolling it out to the curb and let the garbage collectors handle it.

However it is now flyable with only a few subsystems left to convert.

Thanks to James T, Ryan O, Hans Billiet, Matthias Schaaf, and lastly TDS Software.

Image below is slightly magenta-tinted as it was shot at sunset.

Ray Sotkiewicz

sagrada737

Congratulations Ray!   Beautiful cockpit result.  Persistence pays off!

We all have those days, when the Sim Project moves closer to the Dumpster.  Nothing like the feeling when it all comes together.

Once again...  Great job on your project!

Mike

Mike.Powell

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

Incremental progress on our full-scale Sim Projects seems to be a never ending goal.  In that light, I am working on refining some of the cockpit details in the AFT Section of my 737 Flight Deck. 

The photo here shows work on the First Officer AFT panels and various compartments.  I have tried to include items like the Data Logging panel, Isle Observer Seat O2 panel, Head Set compartment, IRS - Master Caution Panels, Hat Clips, etc.  The Circuit Breaker panels, Isle Observer Seat, and Cockpit Door are real 737 parts.

As a side note...  The panel support structure is fabricated from 1" thin-wall steel tubing, welded together in a matrix to allow for various panel attachment.  This structure needs to be strong enough to hold up to the vibration induced by the Motion Platform.   Each side of AFT Section (CA and FO Modules) are "hinged" to the outer left/right Nose Section structure, such that they can individually "swing out", allowing fully open and easy access to the Flight Deck for work/maintenance.  These same modules swing back in place and bolt to the Flight Deck Floor to their correct position.

The panel material I chose is 1/8" thick shower-board, which is fairly strong, and easily cut/machined to fabricate various panel parts in an effort to give a sense of being in a real 737 cockpit.

Next up is to finish work on the CA side panels/compartments/detail.

Mike
AFT_Panels_FO-Side.jpg

RayS

Update on the Conversion to 2020....

Phase 1 is complete! I've finally kicked the keyboard and mouse out of the right seat.

Had I known all that was involved before starting this, I would have said "Nah... I'm good."

Took about 8 months. Still have a few more systems to convert but they are not listed in the MEL so It can fly with those items down.

Using:
1. MSFS2020
2. Black Square King Air 350i
3. Interface API's from Mattias Schaafer and Hans Billiet
4. Spad.Next

And somehow, I learned how to read/Write in Reverse Polish Notation.

Ray Sotkiewicz

_alioth_

A Force feedback system finished. Home made hardware, electronics and software.
Ready to go to his final owner and mounted in his cockpit.

Jason L

After a brief hiatus back at the build.  Got the projector screen mounted this weekend.  Have a bit of stretching to finish up yet on the right side.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwQnwLxPTJN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

sagrada737

Looks really nice!  What projectors are you using?

Mike

Jason L

I had Optoma 1080GT Darbee's but got a heck of a deal on a 4k upgrade, so now I have 3 Optoma UHD35stx projectors and will be running at 4k.  Hope to get it all calibrated this weekend.

sagrada737

Sounds like a nice setup...   The 4k input to your projectors will help refine the visuals.  Good luck with the project.

Garys

I also just upgraded to the Optoma UHD35stx projectors. You will be happy with the upgrade

ame

On another thread we just finished interfacing some fuel gauges and flaps indicator with link2fs and Arduino:
https://www.cockpitbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8511

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate