Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:43:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
715 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 741
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 715
Total: 715

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My Overhead build thread

Started by XOrionFE, April 16, 2010, 07:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Well, thought I would start a new thread for my overhead build.    As I mentioned, I recently bought the forward overhead panels from FDS.    I had a set of fore and aft overhead frames from APHS along with a bunch of switches and such.    When I contacted FDS and placed my order I asked Peter to have the dzus fasteners added to my panels.    Here is the result.   Let me just reiterate that I am astounded at the quality and realism of the FDS panels.    No pictures of IBL here yet but tested between their panels and the real thing (which I have a couple panels) the FDS panels are superb.   

The first thing I had to do is work out some mods to the Overhead frame in the lower panel and center panel backer areas.   In the first picture I am grinding down the screw holders/standoffs for the lower panel light plates.   

Here I am retapping the remaining portions of the screw holes for 6-32 tap which matches the original.

Next, I put the lower panel on.  This is really cool becuase the FDS parts match up exactly and are alll set to attach to the lower panel backer (built onto the overhead)

Now the middle panel in the above picture is the real panel .  Here I ran into issues with the FDS panel fit because of the hardware I am using mainly and because if I switched to more basic switches and rotaries then the holes in the overhead that were factory set in the center backer are too big for those cheaper switch types.   I decided to keep the origninal center panel despite some slight differences in color.    Since the overhead frame isf from a 737-300 I believe, it has a couple differences from the FDS NG center light panel but barely noticeable.   One thing is the presence of the Rain Repellent switches.   I kept these and figure I wiill use them for some function down the road.....

Here are some more showing the wonderful FDS factory installed optional dzus fasterners.   Really made my life easy!

And here are pictures of the panels installed.   I will have to take them out in order to install all of the switches but the dsuz make that simple.    I couldnt resist putting all the panels in so I could stare at them for a while :-).

More to come as I buld it.....

Note that larger pictures can be seen on my Flickr site along with the other 737 build pictures. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157622388681607/

Scott

Kennair

Simply stunning Scott.  Can't wait to see it lit up with full backlighting.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks great Scott. What guages will you be using for it?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

bussgarfield

Nice one Scott.

Keep the thread going. It is going to look really great.

Haven't heard of the rain repellent switches before. Where are they and what were they used for inside a cockpit.

Keep up the good work.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

XOrionFE

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on April 17, 2010, 02:34:10 AM
Looks great Scott. What guages will you be using for it?

I will likely get the Flight Illusion gauge set.    I think really that is my only choice asside from Simkits (which doesnt have all of them).    If anyone has suggestions I am all ears.

Also Mike....I have a good question for you....
The actual ovhd frame has a lightbulb in it for shining down on the pedestal.   I think it is a grimes light but I suspect 28vdc.   There are also two huge reostats for light dimming (top center of panel - see picture attached).   These are for circuit breaker panel dimming and for panels dimming.   They say 0-28V on them and 6amps. 

I would like to utilize them if possible.  Especially would like to make the flood work.   My power supplies are regular computer power supplies with 5 v and 12v outputs.   The IBL panels are all 5V (and I doubt these dimmers would work for that purpose but was thinking maybe I could get the flood light working somehow at least by changing the bulb to a 12v?   Do you or anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks
Scott

jackpilot

Hi Scott
Gauges: For some of them like Crew or pass oxygen, fuel temp, air temp...I used real EBay gauges (737 or 727) Basically all like new, cost $20some each.
1) they look real good and better than any repro
2) they can be made to work with a 5v input (pointer climbing slowly to a preset value)
3) they can be hardwired to whatever switch is supposed to make them alive (no interfacing necessary).
Keep the FlightIllusion money for duct pressure , cabin diff pressure and APU egt.
My 2 ¢..
Ps: your little package will ship monday. ;)

Jack

XOrionFE

wow, that is great news Jack.   I can pick up some of them from Nick or on Ebay.    I didnt know they can be made to work.   Very cool.    I may pick your brain again on them soon :-)  Looks like you just saved me over $500!.   

Thank you ...and thank you.

Scott

jackpilot

Take your time. Check eBay on a regular basis (search "indicator" in Aviation parts)
and do not pay more than 25-30 . Check on the pictures that the gauge indicate 0. If the pointer is anywhere else, chances are it is no good.
Avoid old yellowish faces. Look for old new stock. And if you are overbid let it go. The turnover is very high and they keep coming back.

The idea is as shown below. The value of the condenser and of the resistor vary according to each specific gauge to make the pointer move slowly to its optimum value.
This is not linked to the simulator, only to a switch like the battery switch or any other appropriate switch.
Good enough for systems which are not simulated, like fuel temp or Oxygen.

Jack

XOrionFE

Very cool and great idea and tip.   I will start looking.   

Boeing Skunk Works

Can't use the rheostats without 400 cycle AC power, they'll burn up.  :(

XOrionFE

Ah...ok

well I guess they'll be dummys for now.    :-(

XOrionFE

Quote from: jackpilot on April 17, 2010, 08:09:58 AM
Hi Scott
Gauges: For some of them like Crew or pass oxygen, fuel temp, air temp...I used real EBay gauges (737 or 727) Basically all like new, cost $20some each.
1) they look real good and better than any repro
2) they can be made to work with a 5v input (pointer climbing slowly to a preset value)
3) they can be hardwired to whatever switch is supposed to make them alive (no interfacing necessary).
Keep the FlightIllusion money for duct pressure , cabin diff pressure and APU egt.
My 2 ¢..
Ps: your little package will ship monday. ;)

Jack, I just realized Simkits made these also and is what FDS sources (according to what I saw on their forums).   I like the idea of direct connect to USB from each guage rather than having to get the seperate card.   Also looks like price may work out a little better with Simkits.   Do you have or anyone else use the Simkits?

Also, Jack, I need Cabin rate of climb also correct?   (basically Cabin Diff, Duct Press, Cabin rate of climb, and APU EGT correct?).   I will look for real Fuel Temp, Oxygen Press, and Temp guages as you suggested.

Just trying to verify before I pull the trigger...
Thank you for your help.
Scott

Steve A

Your overhead looks stunning even at this early stage, I cant wait to see the end result, I'll be watching this progress and hopefully picking up some useful tips along the way.

Thankyou.

jackpilot

Quote from: XOrionFE on April 18, 2010, 09:51:22 AM

Also, Jack, I need Cabin rate of climb also correct?   (basically Cabin Diff, Duct Press, Cabin rate of climb, and APU EGT correct?).   I will look for real Fuel Temp, Oxygen Press, and Temp guages as you suggested.

Just trying to verify before I pull the trigger...

Yep that's the idea.
But Take your time, ask for more advice...
I have the Simkit Flap Gauge, works fine but it is a very simple one.
Simkits and Flightillusion are not comparable . Double check before making a decision.

For the real gauges, take your time too.
Here is a pic of a brand new Kratos APU EGT  That I got for $25. They used to climb to $100+ but one day nobody bid, but me...Be patient and very discriminate.

Jack

XOrionFE

Thanks Jack

I will.   Got plenty to do before I get them so I will keep trolling ebay and researching ...

Scott

Trevor Hale

Scott,  I remember when I got My Overhead all wired and installed..  (Still interfacing life has been busy) but regardless the feeling you get when you see it altogether and mounted above your head is exhilarating, I just love to see your progress.

Keep us posted.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Got my hands on some gauges for the overhead thanks to some of Jack's advice.  I also could not resist getting a bunch of authentic switch guards.   My days as a P-3 Flight Engineer and mechanic are etched in my head and I always remember the deep red (almost red/brown) of the phenolic switch guards.   They were also rarely shiney looking after years of use.   I had to have some of that worn look in my overhead and by using some authentic used guards and switches I am getting that feeling of realism.   Again, not to mention the superb look and match of the FDS panels with real Dzus fasteners.   

So here a few more pics of the overhead with the new guards and my used switches along with (thanks to Jacks advise and help) my real Temp and O2 gauges.  Sorry about the blurrieness of last picture as I didnt have my tripod out for the time exposure.   Cabin Press, Duct Press, APU EGT, and Cabin Climb gauges will come from Flight Illusion in a couple months and are on order.

Enjoy.....I sure am :-)!

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks great! I know what you mean about the authentic switch guards. I've seen pictures of overheads where those bright red shiny guards jump right out at you in photos. Sort of kills it for me. And I have one on mine. Does the same thing to me everytime I look up.

I need to order a real one for the alternate flaps panel.

XOrionFE

Nick has a bunch of them Michael.   

BTW - did you ever finish your cockpit move?  We have been awaiting pics!   I would love to get down there sometime this summer to check it out.   I was out at Nick's last week and saw that FE station just sitting there.....it should find its way into your pit!

Regards,
Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

I posted a week or more ago that I had changed my mind. It was much easier to move the studio into that room than to dismantle and re-assemble the simulator. For now it's staying where it is.

ivar hestnes

It looks very good Scott.

Keep posting pictures  :)

XOrionFE

Well, while some of you where cutting grass.....:-)

I did manage to get some more done on the overhead last night.    I decided to go ahead and pull the real center panel and replace it with the FDS one after all and after reworking some of the underlying switches was able to fit it onto the frame without any issues.  It worked out great.    I also really wanted to utilize the little light switch cover from the actual frame so I had to cut the FDS lower panel slightly to accomodate this (YIKES!).   Again I cannot express how well made and thought out the FDS stuff is.   They even included a little bottle of touchup paint with my order that has a brush build into the cap.   They have everything thought out to the nth degree which really makes the build go so much better.    Here you can see some of the panel work coming together.  I am using a combination of real ac switches along with heavy duty Carling switches.   All guards came from real aircraft also as stated earlier.

On another note, I found a helper who is joining me in my build.  His name is Don Harrison and he lives nearby in Aurora.  He is a CFII and had asperations of building his own sim but does not have the full time or resources right now as he has a newborn at home.   He is very skilled and has been simming with the PMDG 737 and Vatsim for a long time.    He came over last night and began the assembly of my Simparts TQ and is a great help.   He will be my copilot and 737 instructor once we get the bird finished.   I think this is a great way to allow some that may not be as fortunate with the finances, time or space to still participate and have a good time plus it is a great help to me as well.

Enjoy the pics and again, if you want to see larger goto to the link at the bottom and see on my Flickr Photostream site.   As a little challenge lets see if anyone can spot something a little unusual or out of the ordinary on the panel in the last picture..... :-)

Full size images and more can be seen at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157622388681607/

Regards,
Scott

shaneb

Hey Scott,

That overhead is looking great . . glad you found some help too!    :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

jackpilot

switch bar on the landing lights??

I have the signature overhead, was and still superb but I envy the new IBLs. Have fun.

Jack

dharrison

Working with Scott has been a real treat, with a newborn at home it makes it hard for me to justify to my wife building a sim. Scott has been kind enough to invite me into his home and let me assist with is project. Thats exactly why this hobby is so great.

Looking great, can't wait to see and work on more.

Don

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate