Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
722 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 741
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 722
Total: 722

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My Overhead build thread

Started by XOrionFE, April 16, 2010, 07:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Quote from: jackpilot on May 02, 2010, 09:53:46 AM
switch bar on the landing lights??

I have the signature overhead, was and still superb but I envy the new IBLs. Have fun.

Not the switch bar but close proximity...

Boeing Skunk Works

Great Scott man! No pun intended... ;D

That's looking really good.

Quote from: XOrionFE on May 02, 2010, 05:29:16 AM

He will be my copilot and 737 instructor...

You're not seriously saying you don't already know how to fly that Hoover are ya?   ;D
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

QuoteYou're not seriously saying you don't already know how to fly that Hoover are ya?   ;D

well certainly not as good as I should :-[

Trevor Hale

Scott,  that is incredible, and Don, it is good to see you getting to help with the build.  Building a sim, with someone else that shares the same passion as you is indeed one heck of a rush.  Not to mention it makes flying the sim way more fun.

The Overhead is looking amazing, and you guys are doing a great Job.  I love this hobby and I think it is great that we can meet so many people.

Keep us posted.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

DaveK

Quote from: jackpilot on April 17, 2010, 02:49:42 PM
Take your time. Check eBay on a regular basis (search "indicator" in Aviation parts)
and do not pay more than 25-30 . Check on the pictures that the gauge indicate 0. If the pointer is anywhere else, chances are it is no good.
Avoid old yellowish faces. Look for old new stock. And if you are overbid let it go. The turnover is very high and they keep coming back.

The idea is as shown below. The value of the condenser and of the resistor vary according to each specific gauge to make the pointer move slowly to its optimum value.
This is not linked to the simulator, only to a switch like the battery switch or any other appropriate switch.
Good enough for systems which are not simulated, like fuel temp or Oxygen.

Jack would you mind expanding on this idea in another thread so as not to hijack this one.
Please make it as simple as possible as the book "Electronics for Dummies" is like a rocket science manual to me .. :o)
I like the idea and have been thinking along the same lines but had no idea where to start other than stripping out the guts and fitting a slow elec motor on a timer or similar. Yours seems much simpler.. now you just have to try and explain it to someone who is even simplererer....
cheers
Dave

XOrionFE

Well I finally got down to wiring the fwd overhead over the weekend.   After about 3 full days worth or work I am happy to say I am finished wiring!  Here are some pictures...

The first is a shot of test fitting the overhead into the pit to check clearances above it.   The second shows how the boards including the Flightdeck Solutions SYS1X board for interfacing are mounted.   All wiring harness will come over the top edge and down onto the board.  You can also see how the dimmers and power strips for the FDS IBL panel and guage lighting are layed out.     The third is a picture of the wiring completed at 1:30 am this morning.    The last is a close up of some of the wiring.    There are a lot more pictures on my Flickr Photostream here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjobjsVM

I will post more pics tonight or tomorrow after I finish putting board back on and interfacing on the bench with Interfacit and Sim-Avionics.

Enjoy,
Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Maurice

Way to go Scott. Very neat & very professional. I guess procrastination may have been worth it after all since you probably spent a great deal of time figuring out the best way to do this rather daunting job :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jetpilot

Great Job Scott,
I am glad I will be able to enjoy it this coming weekend.
Looking forward to seeing it in action
Roberto

XOrionFE

Thanks guys... back to work on it now :-)

XOrionFE

Here is the final finished result...I hope :-)

Scott

Kennair

Wow, really nice work Scott.  That wiring is so neat and only 8 cables exiting the overhead!  Well done.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

jackpilot

Nice EVAC and Voice panels!!!
Good job and all my admiration (U know Why!)  :D

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate