Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
264 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 286
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 264
Total: 264

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What have I done for my simulator?

Started by GyverX, February 22, 2022, 04:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GyverX

What have I done for my simulator? Well, I was originally going for a Pilatus PC12 simpit, but I was met with mostly space issues. So I decided to stick with a modular setup. I have also switched planes. Getting away from Carenado planes and going with Aerobask, I am currently flying the phenom 300 and future plans for either a Diamond DA62 or 50 (haven't decided, maybe both). But I really wanted to get away from using Touch Portal for all my buttons and use actual buttons. So I build the GFC700 autopilot panel. None of it lights up due to a space issue and no where to put a CNC machine... YET.
You cannot view this attachment.
With the GFC700 functional, I wanted more buttons, Mainly access to the G1000 FMC, and start moving away from the GTN750.
My main obstacle right now is temperature. I can print on laser sticker, but the toner comes off and using tape to cover the sticker like the GFC700, the tape has to be done in two strips and getting a perfect seam is casting resources. So the temperature issue is the weather and using gloss spray to lock in the laser print.
After doing some sanding I might give it a go... We'll see.
This is for X-plane using https://www.hcscis.com/
and getting some help from https://www.youtube.com/c/Qosmokid/ videos

GyverX

ame

Try printing mirror image on transparent laser printer film. Then flip it over and glue it down. The black toner is visible through the film, but the surface is the 'back' of the film, which protects the toner.

GyverX

Thanks for the suggestion AME, the problem with that is the glue (which ever glue that is used) will also show though as well.
Even tape has its draw backs as I really do not want the "glossy" look but using a simi-gloss or satin spray on full sheet sticker, shifts the problem on getting the sticker on correct the first time.
This is the problem I had with the GFC700
But it took a few tries and the "Packing" tape I had was wide.
Because the panels I am doing now, my tape isn't wide enough. Hench, moving to a spray.

I should be able to do it inside but the weather right now is way to humid. (East TN.)
Writing this post gave me an idea of using one of my PLA filament bins with a de-humidifier inside Might do the trick. will have to experiment. :)

Joe Lavery

Why not get a local user or firm to laser engrave a front panel for you? It would not be that expensive.
Just a thought

Joe
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

GyverX

Thanks for the advice Joe, I looked around and its about $150 an hour or about $2 a minute. The problem with that is these are just temporary. I'll maybe use them for about a year before upgrading them to something I can back light. with that amount of time I am looking at building a CNC machine from 3d printed parts but I havnt really dont the planning on it. I have to think of the space issue as I do not have a garage.

Its in the works but will be some time
Thanks
Jason

Joe Lavery

Pity I'm in the UK, I would have cut them for you for a fraction of that. It's a small panel but postage from the UK is pidiculous.
I did a cut and engrave test on the panel in this image and it was 5.47 minutes.

That's why I suggested another builder/user possibly in the US.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

blueskydriver

-Hey Joe, what kind of Laser Machine do you have? How about doing a tutorial video? Teach Scott, me and all the rest of us on how you do things....

-Hey Scott, I have a CNC, 3D Printer(s) and now, a Laser Machine (Cutter/Engraver). The footprint size of each are about the same. So, if you went with the laser it'd be the same as the CNC, but a drawback is you would need exhaust venting for sure.

However, the precision with using a laser is really great, with no broken CNC bits or dust mounds. Although, the smell of burning plastic/wood is omnipresent for sure.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

Hiya John,
I have a Chinese (aren't they all) 60 Watt floor mounted laser, with a cutting surface area of 600 x 400.

As for tutorials, the person who influenced me most and who incidentally has been to my home with his good wife, is Russ, who has made hundreds of laser related videos, and is a respected and knowledgeable man in the sphere of laser engineering. To the point where two companies have sent him free laser machines to produce tutorials for them, Cloudray being one of them.

He is also an engineer with an amazing aptitude for working out a solution to any problem. And someone who (as you will see), is far more adept and eloquent than I am. He has helped me personally on many occasions and recently sold me some laser head parts that he designed to make aligning the mirrors and lens easier.

So go check him out, but start on some of his earlier videos, becasue in some of the later ones he goes heavily into the thoery of lens etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SarbarMultimedia/videos

Hope that helps
Joe.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate