Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:05:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
133 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Are TV's the way?

Started by rhysb, September 17, 2012, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nat Crea

GDay Ben

Current screen is a continuous sheet of 3mm Acrylic. I had to prime and paint it,
quite heavy, fragile and expensive...but seamless.
Bought it from a company called Mulfords in Melbourne.

Nat

XOrionFE

Waaayyyyyyyyy off topic.....

Come on guys...be respectful of the thread subjects and start new threads if a different topic.   Screens have already been covered on this forum in other threads quite heavily.

Scott

Nat Crea

XOrionFE

Hello Kyle, you are correct.   sense of motion is better if view is carried out to the sides of your periphery.   180 is definitely nice.  That said, there is still a lot of sense of motion with the 150 that the TVs provide so we are talking about around 15 degrees either side of difference.   Very subjective and give and take.  Each solution has its pluses.   I feel sense of motion is better on the projectors and sense of depth is actually better on the TVs.   

Scott

jskibo

I agree on the depth, I gt up parked athe gate last night and from standing out the back of the cockpit it really felt 3D
Less than 4 years to retirement......

goof2092

Quote from: tennyson on September 17, 2012, 04:07:22 PM
If you look at the size of the windows of a 737, you will discover that the front two windows are almost the same size as a 32" monitor.

The side windows can be both covered by 46" monitors.

I have built my sim like this and have my two forward screens mounted and functional. You need to slant them slightly to achieve the correct result, but it is quite a decent alternative to projectors.

You need to spend good money on your screens, tho. I bought Samsung high def lcd smart TV's and keep the hertz rating down, you want 100khz models.

I've got mine hooked up to a 3960x pc running two GTX 680's and a display port dual head to go, the output is spectacular.

I haven't mounted my 46" models yet,  as I'm still working on my sidewalls, but I'll throw a few pics up when I get close to finished.

Oh, and yes, I went this way, because I didn't have the room and didn't want to be flying with one 55" screen our front.

Here's a few snaps from a video I took a while back:

Frank Cooper

Hi Frank,
I was thinking of mixing the screens like you have described but have been worried about the 'step drop' that would be created when mounting the side window 46" displays. Have you done this already and how have you handled it?

What sort of distance are we talking about from the window frames  to the display surface  for the two front windows ?

Thanks Anthony

mac bookpro, 4GB RAM, 2.4GHz Core i5, Mac OSX 10.6.8.
x-plane 10.25, sioc, uipcx, flywithLua, Teensyduino

Boeing Skunk Works

For the time being, I'm stuck using smaller monitors. I will eventually be moving to larger LCD TV's. This is the way to go with WidevieW.

I've always been a fan of this technology. It's cheap(er), low maintenance, no bulbs to buy, etc.

Here's a question for those using this.

If I were to use two 32" monitors for the forward display, what do you tell wideview to use for angles on these two?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jskibo

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on February 28, 2013, 05:28:19 AM
For the time being, I'm stuck using smaller monitors. I will eventually be moving to larger LCD TV's. This is the way to go with WidevieW.

I've always been a fan of this technology. It's cheap(er), low maintenance, no bulbs to buy, etc.

Here's a question for those using this.

If I were to use two 32" monitors for the forward display, what do you tell wideview to use for angles on these two?

Look for the windowmaker tool over on mycockpits.  Its an excel file that will do all the calcs and build the .flt file for your views
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Boeing Skunk Works

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

tennyson

Anthony,
I gave up on the TV's. I'm now travelling down the path of building a curved screen and three projectors.

I've moved house and have got a beautiful, big room to house my cockpit, so I will be going all out with the visuals.

Here's a pic, just before I moved.

On another note, I bought a 60 inch TV for my loungeroom last week. It's a high def Sony LCD. It cost me 1300 dollars and when I go back into JB-hifi yesterday, it's back up to 2000 bucks. Go figure that?

Talk about being in the right place.....

Frank Cooper

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate