Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
108 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Spitfire FR version (WARNING- NOT an airliner *G* )

Started by DarrylH, November 15, 2009, 06:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrylH

Thanks very much guys, appreciated.

Yes, I am busting to get it flyable now but real life has caught up a bit..so it could be a month or so now.

Pictures when I make any progress.

shaneb

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

DarrylH

Boeing Skunk Works

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

DarrylH

jackpilot

Jack

DarrylH

Cheers Jack!
All,

A brief "update" well, actually a step backwards (thank you so much Andy!!!...MATE  :) :) :)

I now find I need to build yet another camera control. The Camera Selector Unit. Until now I had never seen one, couldn't find one  and was going wing it with a 3 position switch. OFF/Oblique/Vertical. But Andy to the rescue with a picture of the unit.

It seemed to have three switches and lights, and what I thought was a fuse box...details Andy confirmed for me soon after when he found the diagram:

Luckily I have three supercharger type switches spare, two lights (and just found a third) and stumbled upon a fuse box that is very close or identical, provided it is the size i think it is when it arrives. It is a Type G fuse box...I don't suppose anyone can say "yep, that was the type used in the Camera Selector"?? And into the bargain I picked up a shallow two way AM switch for the OFF toggle!

More work but all for the good I suppose. A genuine thank you Andy.

DarrylH

The Seat upholstered and the head pad done. He did a great job on both...the seat pad is a "private purchase" item, longer in the back than standard issue (as I am getting too old for hard seats fro 3-4 hours at a time.

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks very nice Darryl.

I have to ask, how comfortable is it to sit in the Spitfire cockpit?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

DarrylH

BSW...simple answer..IT'S NOT!!!!

You sit very straight, the cockpit is wide enough in civvies but would close in rapidly with Irvin Jacket etc on.

I will be sitting on a "parachute" made out of a soft cushion and have the full back rest. BUT there are also plenty of sharp edges etc to "take bark off" as we say here..so I have leather flying gloves to protect my hands. Leg room is good. I also don't need to worry about banging my head...I think if I put a canopy on it would close in rapidly too.

It certainly doesn't have the roomy feel of an F16.

Darryl

DarrylH

OK, finally some photos of the Throttle (and you can see the new better green interior as well on the last two photos..the throttle pics washed out with the flash.).

1. Closed position, Prop Pitch full fine...as you would leave the aircraft.

2. Maximum weak mixture setting with the mixture lever (left) at its full travel. The throttle can be moved forward from here but will exceed the allowable boost if weak mixture is selected. When the throttle is closed from here it takes the mixture back with it to "rich" (fully back) position, so the engine can not be run at weak mixture and low power, which causes detonation if allowed to happen.

3. The warning horn switch (rear) and undercarriage indicator power switch(forward).

4. The label for the throttle...carved with an engraving dremel bit into the wood handle I made.

5. Full rated boost with the throttle at the forward stop...if moved a little left from here it can be pushed further forward to the takeoff setting (or to full boost if the boost override cutout is flipped. I've just noticed that this setting is NOT safe as the mixture is "weak"..it should be pulled back fully...Ill catch hell from the Mechanic for that!!

6. Top view..you can see the stop on the left for the mixture at half way...also the forward stop for Rated Boost and then the slip chanel of the gate to go sideways and a little further forward into  Take off Boost.

And a couple of the monitor tray now ready to be installed after the wiring is finished.

shaneb

Hey Darryl,

TQ looks awesome . . really like your project!   :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

DarrylH

Aerosim Solutions

Now how long did it take me to machine up that beautiful PVC MkIX Spitfire throttle handle again? Oh yes, it was just under two hours I think. I bet it is a wonderful paperweight now! Oh sigh!!!

GP
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

DarrylH

**G*** Gwyn, no, not a paper weight...safely aside for attaching when I fly the RealAir Spitfire IX. The mixture is a "weak" or "Automatic" switch for that aircraft so the throttle still fits perfectly well with it.  I will use it for all aircraft other than the Mk II as the other thing it does is protects my hand from great gouges being taken out by the TR radio controller above the throttle!!! (ask me how I know!!!...note to self..ALWAYS wear 1941 pattern gauntlets to fly this thing)

D

Aerosim Solutions

Or you could throw it at the Messerschmitts when you're out of ammo!
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

DarrylH

Quote from: Aerosim Solutions on July 06, 2010, 09:26:55 PM
Or you could throw it at the Messerschmitts when you're out of ammo!

The handle or the bloody TR controller :D

Oh, Radiator stuff on way!

DarrylH

Latest photos.

The office.

From rear starboard quarter

Panel

Pipe detailing, left hand side.

Landing Lamp Unit and Compass

Ready to go.

Chocks away

Easy turns.

Throwing her around

Pre landing checks

Turning final

Short final

jackpilot

Whaoooo!

And I thought "I " was crazy......Great, this is pure and fantastic Madness!

Congrats, best bird !!!!! (and amazing Pilot!!)

Jack

DarrylH

Thanks Jack,

Would you believe...some people have had the gall to call me "obsessive".

The helmet and mask are are regular feature, the sound being organised through them. The Irvin Jacket is not...mid winter here and it was still intolerably hot in that jacket!! The gloves are also fairly essential as there are quite a few sharp edges in there!

I am currently putting together a video which will show the lights working (a big thanks to the guys who helped me there) and the instruments working as well as the new 7" I've just put on as a rear view mirror.

cheers mate, thanks for the interest and for almost not calling me a nutter!!  ;D

jackpilot

My 2ยข, because I cant keep my brainwaves quiet. :P

Maybe you could build the complete birdcage above your head and  in front, including plexi windows and have one single short throw projector giving you some 4-5 square meters image...enough to get disoriented in a tail spin!!!

Something like this

Jack

Aerosim Solutions

Just wondering where the picture of me flying it is? Come on Darryl LOL!!!

DarrylH

Gwyn,

Wasn't that YOU with the Pony Tail?? Sorry, I'll dig a couple out and post them...just to prove you are not some myth that people tell their children at bedtime if they want them to grow up to be Jordies.... :P

Jack,

I considered something along those lines but having stood on teh wing root and gazed through the Mk22's windscreen..seeing just HOW restricted forward view is, I opted for the "cramped" look of the three monitors with heavy frames. With the TiR I am not sure that you could improve it much? Still..one day maybe..

RojanTrojan

Holy moly! Stunning build. The attention to detail is incredible!

Well done.

Rhydian

DarrylH

Thanks mate!!

First rough video. A lot of room to grow with the new video software but this is my first attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVfeiBX7Aww

Concentrates on visuals and a few gauges rather than an overall view of the pit.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate