Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
22 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My name is Warren, and I'm a flight sim addict

Started by fsaviator, November 27, 2013, 11:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsaviator

So...  I sit here reinstalling programs on my laptop that just suffered a HDD failure.  Luckily, I had backed up most everything recently to my NAS, so really just a process I need to go through.

The fun starts as I am combing through the backed up Downloads folder.  I start seeing files that look like FS files and the download dates are grouped.  Two or three downloads, all on one date, another two on another date...  Then I realize that I'm looking at the installation files for programs such as Ground Services X, Accu-Feel's Global FSX Enhancement, Luciano Napolitano's FS6DOF thingy for my Space Navigator, a couple sceneries, some freeware...  then it dons on me that I don't even remember ordering these!  The worst part is, now I'm combing through my inbox and checking my normal outlets for purchases for order histories and receipts as I need to find the installation keys and codes.

So far so good.  Found everything but the receipt for GSX.  Now I need to try and remember where the hell I bought it from as I can't find an email with a receipt.

I really need to quit surfing sim sites late at night after a few beers.

Does this happen to any one else?

Warren

UPDATE: Just figured out why I don't have a receipt for GSX...  it is try before you buy, and since I haven't even installed it yet, I haven't bought it.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

blueskydriver

Hi Warren,

OH YEAH! It happens to me a lot and that time back last year where I lost the C Drive on my day-to-day PC, I only found out all the programs I had purchased and the key codes from a PST backup of MS Outlook.

I had always backed up my PST file to a different location other than where the C drive would be backed up too. Thus, when the C drive failed and its backup was messed up, I had the PST file from the other location to help piece it all back together again.

In the end though, I to found all kinds of programs that I purchased and installed, as well as those I purchased but did not install. So, I guess the whole ordeal is a curse and/or blessing all at the same time.

Finally, I suggest to everyone who is reading this...STOP RIGHT NOW AND BACK UP YOUR EMAIL PST FILE (for MS Outlook users) and for others, BACKUP YOUR EMAILS! DO IT...DO IT NOW!  >:(

NOW, DROP AND GIVE ME 20!

:idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sluyt050

Hi Warren,

I fully agree that in case of a HDD failure, backups are of utmost importance. Everything I bought including keys, registrations, important links etc. I keep on my NAS as organized as possible so I never have to search for emails. Moreover, I made Acronis True Image Home partition backups of every hard disk/SSD. So in case of a failure I simply can restore a particular partition on a new disk. If e.g. an add-on becomes corrupt I can easily reinstall it from my NAS. So, I think that I covered most of the disasters that could happen, at least hope so... :2cw:
Edward

sagrada737

Hello Warren,

What you are going through is quite common within the Sim Culture, and indeed it is an addiction.  It starts out slowly, with experiencing the mild delight of vicariously flying with the aid of a machine.   Someone introduced you to Sims, but now you can barely remember their their name.   Where did all the time go, as one Sim experience led to another, with the attraction increasing to the point where now we can no longer dismiss the need for our Sim.  We are drawn and  become engulfed in the sensual realm of virtual flight that belies and masks reality.  We find now that we need to work on our Sim, we dream about our Sim, we must cater to our Sim - our Sim has become everything important to us.   

We rationalize our behavior, only to succumb to the constant need for the Sim experience and involvement.  Where does it end?   We no longer care where it ends, as long as we have our Sim - as long as we can go to our Sim.  We are attracted to others with similar needs, and we intensely desire to share this world with others caught in the same snare of enjoyment - elevated above the mundane - we are indeed special.   We actually believe that we are in control of our environment, and can come and go as we please.  We can stop anytime we want, but we know inside that is not true.  We have created an idol.

We find ourselves adjusting our priorities to satisfy our creation, we must feed this demand, and yes...  We even forget what we have fed it.   All the parts, all the utilities, all the scenery, etc.   We justify our Sims as an investment and constantly pour resources into the pit.   After all, we deserve our Sims, and it doesn't matter what we have spent or where it went.   All this is coupled and intertwined with an enormous sense of power as we take global charge over our ever shrinking world.  All that matters now is that we can  command our Sim to do whatever we desire. 

But this visceral satisfaction comes at a price, and as much as we don't want to admit it, we have become slaves to a machine.

Yep...  You're addicted !!!    Just like the rest of us    The only cure is to re-program your FMC and take two Approaches -- then call us in the morning.  We will be glad to reassure that everything is A-OK  ;D

Enough of your problems....   Now....  Where did I put my Check List?   ...and why do I have 5 different weather programs?  Oh well....  :)

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Sam Llorca

Couldn't say it better myself Mike, yes it is an addiction, last night we worked on my sim for more than 12 hours straight tuning the Warpalizer program, I have to tell you! Never seen a group of guys so dedicated to perfection, they came from Norway and I had the pleasure to meet and work with them, Great job guys!!!! Wish you the best of luck and success. Cheers, Sam.

Trevor Hale

We all are Sim addicts...  :)  Some of us are still in the closet though..  LOL
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

727737Nut

Here is when you know you have a serious problem.

Your wife tells you she wants a divorce and the only thought that goes thru your mind is great, now I can have more time to fly my sim!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I have it bad!   :huh:

Rob
737 Junkie

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate