Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
708 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 738
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 708
Total: 708

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

CNC machine

Started by archen, August 21, 2012, 09:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archen

------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

steveeverson

Hi There, I have a 3040 CNC and it works really well. I've made lots of parts like CNC cut aluminium yoke clipboards, and clocks and panels from acrylic.

I have found that most of the parts I've made haven't used anything like the full work area so if you're on a budget the CNC3020 would be fine I think.

Have also just built a 3d printer (seems CNC h-1) which uses the same Mach3 software as the CNC. It's pretty useful for making small brackets, Knobs etc for the sim.
Cheers
Steve
another bedroom boeing....

archen

Thanks a lot for your input here Steve!

The 3040 is within my budget.. Will I be able to cut backplates I alu with it? 3mm thick or even 10mm?

Have you tried to engrave in PCB's? Maybe you have some pictures of stuff your created in the machine?

Thank you for your time!

Regards,
Anders
------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

mattford1

Hi-

I went down the CNC path with a smaller machine and ended up returning it.  In the end I purchased a Tormach 1100 CNC.  It's a good chunk of change but it is much easier to do larger projects.  The machine is much stiffer too which I think helps in the accuracy.  I don't do lightplates or anything like that (I go to FDS for that sort of thing)  but the possibilities it opens up for you are endless.  They also make a slightly smaller and less expensive one that I think is called the 1200.

Also know too you would need to purchase software, CAD and CAM.  I use a hacked version of Solidworks for the CAD portion and purchased Sprutcam for the CAM portion.  Go to www.tormach.com to see their stuff.  Customer service rocks there too.

Matt

HondaCop

Quote from: steveeverson on August 21, 2012, 04:40:00 PM
Hi There, I have a 3040 CNC and it works really well. I've made lots of parts like CNC cut aluminium yoke clipboards, and clocks and panels from acrylic.

I have found that most of the parts I've made haven't used anything like the full work area so if you're on a budget the CNC3020 would be fine I think.

Have also just built a 3d printer (seems CNC h-1) which uses the same Mach3 software as the CNC. It's pretty useful for making small brackets, Knobs etc for the sim.
Cheers
Steve

Interesting... So with the 3040 or even the 3020, I might be able to make my own panels like those sold by Hispapanels, OpenCockpits, et al? If so, my familiy was going to chip in and get me a MCP for my birthday in November, but I think I might ask for this instead!

jonesthesoftware

Hi
I bought a Chinese CNC machine, US$2500 total cost for 900x700x150mm working area.
Good points
1   German made shafts, ballscrews which is where the quality needs to be.
2  Electronics and controllers were available from other suppliers in case anything failed
3 I checked that the company was real by telephoning them and checking their land address was real.
4 Service was excellent staff spoke good English.
5 Price was excellent I bargained it down by US$800 as in China it is normal to bargain for everything.
6 I paid US$100 deposit and balance when documents were sent to me by separate shipping company to prove it was on the ship.

BAD points
1 I had to pay import duty OK only US$70 + UK VAT but that's normal
2 The build quality was rubbish none of the motors and pulleys were correctly aligned. I had to strip and rebuild/re-align to make it work quietly and correctly.
3 Many of the tapped holes had stripped threads.
4 ELectrical wiring very poor with an emergency stop button wired directly into the 240 volt supply!
4 It was delivered with wrong 75mm Z axis but to be fair, when I contacted company by SKYPE they were extremely helpful and sent me a COMPLETE Z axis for 125mm at no charge.
5 The base table of extruded aluminium was so flimsy it distorted far too easily making engraving impossible. ( I changed the table completely)

Overall I am now very  happy with it but only because I am a pretty capable engineer and could correct the faults. If I had bought this size and type anywhere else it would have cost twice as much. I have made many many parts with it including PCB's and engraved light plates for my own cockpit (see attached)
I would have liked to add a 4th axis for making knobs but the supplied controller does not support it and has a limited version of CNC command support.
Would I buy another CHinese CNC machine
NO!
Buy the biggest you can afford, get one with 4th Axis capabilities even if it is not fitted. Size is not such a great probel for making cockpit parts as the biggest bits are the MIP which you can make in sections. Buy German if possible as they are the best mechanicals in the world.

hope this helps your decision making and gives you an idea of what to look for
regards
geoff

Building a 767 cockpit

mikeh

Just as a matter of interest - I also spent time looking into cnc but eventually opted for non CNC route with a PRoxxon  BFW 40/E

have thus far complete 1 of 3 radio heads, an MCP panel and all the bits (probably about 20) that go into the throttle unit
use the machine with digital vernier gauge and hope soon to attach 3 of these covering the 3 axis. I also use sturdy vice most of the time (bolted to table) and have bought a rotating table for doing round items (bezels etc) and offset stuff more easily
Cons
cant just set up machine to do a copy of item that is sorted (- but dont have to sort out software and do the 3d design before I start cutting)
Pros
Good quality machine at reasonable price with reasonable travel (cant deal with full width of MCP) but moving item along axis and doing in 3 bites is not an issue
i can upgrade to CNC in future if wished - web shows several completed projects.
ATR72 build project

steveeverson

Hi Archen,
Yes I have engraved a few PCB's- basic stuff but it works fine with no problems.
Engraving generally works well- you have to make sure the bed is really level if your'e doing fine text. As for aluminium milling. 3mm is not too much of a problem to cut providing you keep the cutting head well lubricated. 10mm aluminium would be a struggle but if you're good at programming then you could do it as a multi pass cut - might take a while though!
hope that helps- will try and find out some pictures for you..
cheers
Steve
another bedroom boeing....

jonesthesoftware

Hi
making PCB's using CNC is certainly possible, again critical are is flatness of table, I think PCB copper is only 50 microns thick so any variations in flatness of your table screws up your PCB.
Cutting aluminium is also no problem I made my throttle using 25mm thick plate and made many passes of 0.3mm per cut lubricating by spray bottle and paraffin(kerosene) or white spirit mixed with oil as a lubricant. I used the spray just to wet the cutter so as not to get oil everywhere.  My Chinese machine has a 1.5Kw spindle motor with water cooled bearings so plenty of power but since I have only used it with small diameter cutters I haven't really pushed it's limits. You can see the aluminium throttle parts here including ally gears also cut with my CNC
regards
geoff
Building a 767 cockpit

edward57

Quote from: jonesthesoftware on September 04, 2012, 09:54:14 AM
Hi
making PCB's using CNC is certainly possible, again critical are is flatness of table, I think PCB copper is only 50 microns thick so any variations in flatness of your table screws up your PCB.
Cutting aluminium is also no problem I made my throttle using 25mm thick plate and made many passes of 0.3mm per cut lubricating by spray bottle and paraffin(kerosene) or white spirit mixed with oil as a lubricant. I used the spray just to wet the cutter so as not to get oil everywhere.  My Chinese machine has a 1.5Kw spindle motor with water cooled bearings so plenty of power but since I have only used it with small diameter cutters I haven't really pushed it's limits. You can see the aluminium throttle parts here including ally gears also cut with my CNC
regards
geoff

Would you sell the throttle as a kit?..  love the look of that!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate