Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:05:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
496 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 505
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 496
Total: 496

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Running Multiple Computers

Started by matta757, February 07, 2011, 07:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hey guys,

Just a quick question for those of you running multiple computers for you sim. I am thinking about doing this in the near future. I know that it requires FSUIPC Wide, right? But as far as software on the computer goes, Flight Simulator needs to be installed on both machines, right? But I am curious to know if everything installed on each machine has to be exactly the same? For instance, does all addon scenery need to be the same on each machine? Does every aircraft and panel need to be on each machine?

I plan on doing some reading into this on my own, so if you have any suggestions on good resources for setting up an FS network, that would be awesome. Just wanted to get this question clarified.

Thanks,
Matt

jackpilot

hi Matt
First  would be better to know what you plan to run on your network.
Gages, visual, utils..?
Are you planning to use PM 767 steam gauges?, wideview?
All depends.
JP

Jack

matta757

Hey Jack,

To answer your question, I want to run outside visuals on my faster computer and gauges on the other. Gauges would be either the PSS 757 gauge set or the LVLD 767 gauge set.

Right now I am running 3 monitors off the same computer; 1 for visuals and 2 for the MIP. The intention would be to run the 2 MIP monitors on their own computer. I have been told/read that this should improve framerates on the visuals.

Does that help?

Matt

jackpilot

Unable...
I use PM .
Other will chime in...

Jack

matta757

Oh I didn't realize you have to be running Project Magenta to use multiple computers...

jackpilot

You do not need PM or SimA but I am not familiar with that kind of set up.
Interesting to dig on that anyway.

Jack

andarlite

Hey Matt

The guys running PM can run different gauges on different computers to spread out the load.

You can't do that with LVLD 767, all gauges must run on same computer.

You can however use WideView to run multiple computers for mulitple views. However, if you are only planning for 3 views I would just stick with the TH2G.

I'm currently running LVLD 767 with FSX on an i7 overclocked to 4GHz with TH2G and 3 LCD for outside view plus 3 additional LCD for Capt and Centre gauges (FO sees same as Capt).  My computer handles this load fine. The only reason I would go with another computer would be to get additional views (which I will do). The fewer computers you can get by with, the less headaches you will have.

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

jackpilot

Jack

ak49er

This is easy, for example. I run MSFS on my "fast" computer, I have  the FSUIPC  .dll installed on this "Server"  (MSFS Modules) and the WideFS .dll in the same folder.

I also have three "Clients" with the WideFS Server component installed, (with the server IP addy in the .ini
if  I remember correctly.

I start MSFS, and then I activate WideFS on the Clients. I now have the server running the visuals, and the clients are running the PFD MFD EICAS and WXR.

I do virtually the same for XPLANE, using XPUIPC and WideFS with FreeFD to run my gauges. I can run either XPlane or FS9 in the same sim, on the same computers.

I am now utilizing a dual boot system for this sim. I have LINUX Ubuntu 10.10 loaded on the server, and am loading it on the clients as well. I have no plans to use MSFS with LINUX, but will be loading the LINUX build for XAPLNE on the server and running it with vasFMC for the FMC and PFD, MFD, EICAS, with the Goodway Flight Planner.

If you want outside visuals on seperate PCS, you must use WIDEVIEW, with an instance of MSFS on each Computer, and the WIDEVIEW Guage/Control Panel in each Panel of your A/C you plan to use with WIDEVIEW. Once you get the visuals as you like, exit Full screen on your Sever and save the flight, and the next time you fire it up, it SHOULD be as left.

Adding an instance of MSFS is easy, if you choose to download FS9 No Cd. Now, each computer, including your server does not need to have that disc installed. My disc is 6 years old now and showing it...

But first things first, download and use FSUIPC demo, then buy the registered copy with WideFS. Once you do, you'll wonder how you got along without FSUIPC for long.

But most important of all, read all three  manuals carefully, highlighting what pertains to your needs. EVERYTHING is covered in the FSUIPC, WideVIEW, and WIDEFS manuals.

Gotta' run.
FS9, FSUIPC, WideFS, FreeFD
XPlane XUIPC, WideFS, FreeFD

jackpilot

Not clear, to me anyway' are you using PM, Matt seems to ne stuck with Level D 767 restrictions, meaning  resident gauges beyond PFD MFD.
:-[

Jack

Kennair

Yes I think Ak49er is using FreeFD for panel displays as you can't do as he suggests with native FS panels which is what you have in the LVLD767.  Your only option is to use networked PC's for outside views using Wideview, WideFS (an extension of FSUIPC) is only used to talk to networked panels using seperate software like PM, Sim-A and FreeFD.

Its not hard to do though Matt, you need to get PC's networked via a router, install FS on all PC's including the same scenery, traffic etc so each view tracks with the same scenery.  You only need to license Wideview on the main FS PC, not other clients.  Install and run.  Wideview will detect the other instances of FS and sync them up.  You will however need to do some tweaking of parameters to get it to run smoothly as well as edit things like the .flt file for each view in order to get angles and zoom factors lined up.  I believe you can also run instrument panel views with Wideview but it primarily used for outside views.  I recommend lots of reading!

We use it in our commercial sim to display side window views in our passenger cabin.

Let me know if you need anything clarified.

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Nick1150

Quote from: matta757 on February 07, 2011, 10:34:53 AM
Oh I didn't realize you have to be running Project Magenta to use multiple computers...
Hi Matt,

I was in the same stage (for a 737-800) a while ago...

So, you do not need any glass cockpit soft (like PM, SimAv, etc...) to use multiple computers. WideFS software from Peter Dawson is available and very easy to install. Actually in my personal opinion it is the most reliable software I have ever used. Just copy the shortcut to the windows startup of each client, and everytime windows start, it is always up and running and waits to be connected with the server. When the server is switches on, the clients get connected, when the server switches off the clients disconnect and again wait for a new connection.... So easy, so simple, no clicks, no conflicts, just perfect....

Now why should you do that ? You need to do that only in case you need to assign "jobs" to other PCs. These "jobs" usually are gauges, external visuals and also heavy software packages, like for instance weather software, moving maps, etc...

To do the above you need extra software for every occasion... meaning that to run external visuals to a client you need a specific program, like the already mentioned WideView. To run gauges to a client, you also need another specific program, the so called "glass cockpit software", like PM, SimAv, etc.... To run other programs, like maps, you need other specific programs, and so on.....

So in other words, you do not need glass cockpit software to connect multiple computers but I do not know if there is a reason to do that without a glass cockpit software. Let me explain... it is very easy (and  cheap), even for a newbie like me, to connect as many clients as you want to an FS server, but after that you need software to do the actual job, and no you do not need an FS installation in each client. That is what WideFS is doing. It is driving all data needed from the server to the clients without the need of having an FS installation in each client ;)

I personally bought 3 clients only after choosing and purchasing my glass cockpit software...

Hope I gave you a few answers to your questions,

Besr regards,

Nick

Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

Kennair

Guys I think Matt is going to be confused by all these mixed terms.  Let me clarify:

WideFS is an application that comes with FSUIPC and allows networked client PC to talk to the main FS PC.  These network client PC's need to have other third party applications like panel software (PM, Sim-A, FreeFD) or weather or moving map etc. in order to display anything.  FS itself cannot run externally on client PC's using this application.

Wideview is a completely separate and independant application used to sync FS installed and running on networked client PC's.  It doesn't rely or need WideFS to run.  If you use Wideview to have several PC's showing outside views then a complete copy of FS is needed to be installed on each and every networked PC including all scenery and addons as I mentioned earlier.

Cheers,

Ken
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate