Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
500 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 511
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 500
Total: 500

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Top Gear In Albania

Started by NeoMorph, February 08, 2011, 10:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

So why am I talking about Top Gear when that is a car show and this is a flight sim site.

Well at one point they found an old cold-war airbase... and after they had done some drag racing on the runway they were driving off and came across LOADS of old Migs at the side of the road... I'm talking Mig 15's and Mig 17's and Mig 19's just sitting there, rusting away. I was amazed at how tiny they were. I remember seeing the US version (the F86 Sabre) in Fallout 3 and thinking "Why couldn't they make them to scale". Now I'm thinking that they probably WERE to scale...

I wonder why no military flight sim fan has gone over to Albania and bought the old jets considering they are just rusting away. The small size would mean they are probably easier to move than a 737 cockpit (and seeing some of your pics on how you moved those has got me going "WOAH!").
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

jskibo

I thint BHawthorne over at the Nthusim board has a F86 cockpit.  There's pics of his purchase next to his house
Less than 4 years to retirement......

jackpilot

The worst is that Russian airplanes are built like tanks (sort of) and they probably would be restorable to flying status in no time, assuming you own an oil well and a refinery !.

Jack

NeoMorph

What made me laugh was all the dents in the things... there were dents all over the chuffing things.

Oh and then there was that comment by Clarkson...

Jeremy Clarkson: "Well at least the flaps still work!"... after climbing all over them...
James May: "Ailerons dear boy!"... in a superior voice...
*Cue Clarkson looking at camera as if to say "What a nerd!"*

;D

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Joe Lavery

Clarkson is a peasant, if not an amusing one... ;) of course he's absolutely nuts as well.

What a sad sight to see al those MiGs lying unloved and forgotten. I'm sure there are flight sim fans out there that would give them a home.  :)

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

NeoMorph

Imagine getting half a dozen of them and then using them in a combat flight school. You would need to get some old American or other Nato planes to go with them but most likely those haven't just been thrown away like those old Migs. But you are right in that it is sad that those planes are just sitting there falling apart.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate