Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
495 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 500
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 495
Total: 495

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Excited but puzzled too

Started by matta757, February 09, 2011, 07:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hi guys,

Just completed my first flight in the *almost* complete full sim. Well, actually there is still a lot to be done, but since putting in the MCP, now I have all the major components in and was able to perform Delta 1751 from MSP to LAS this evening. Feels great to be back to flying and in such a cool setting too (altho I must admit I now desire a new computer with a CPU that can better perform with my setup).

But I was puzzled by one thing and that was my keyboard. It was acting up for some reason. Every once and a while, when pushing a key, the output from the keyboard came into FS as if I was holding either the CTRL or SHIFT button, thus messing up the command because a lot of my keyboard commands are combinations of CTRL and/or SHIFT. So when I tried to use standard keyboard buttons like the numerals to respond to Radar Contact, the sim would do something different. The only way I could seem to get this to stop was by pressing either CTRL, SHIFT or both but then it would happen again later.

Best example, my keyboard assignment for PSS to be able to use the keyboard to type within the FMC is the "Home" button. Well, when I pressed it, it was not working. So I went into the PSS key assignment menu and tried to re-assign the key. But when I would press "Home", the input PSS was getting was CTRL+SHIFT+Home.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea why my keyboard is doing this. It's a problem I haven't seen and was just hoping maybe someone has a better understanding than I do about what could cause a keyboard to do this!

Thanks guys,
Matt

Garys

What your describing is called a macro. You generally have to set those up in software yourself, such as with a hagstrom keyboard encoder for example. Im not familiar with the pss software but in the menu do you have an option to control when the ctrl and shift is used with an assignment, maybe a checkbox? A FSUIPC assignment maybe? I cant help more than that but hopefully it can get you in the right direction until someone more familiar with it jumps in.

NeoMorph

Strangely enough I seem to be getting the exact same thing happen... I thought my keyboard was dying at one point but when I come out of FS it works fine again.
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

matta757

Hi Garys,

I will look at the PSS software again, but I do not think there is any sort of checkbox for CTRL and SHIFT assignments. I use those keys in combination with other keys to make assignments, which vastly increases the number of key combinations possible.

I have created a couple of Mouse Macros using FSUIPC for some functions on the PSS panel that were missing keyboard assignments. I also have 2 mice connected to my computer; one stays on my desk when I am not simming and the other is in the simulator. Could that be creating a problem?

I am going to do some further investigation into my key assignments!

Matt

NeoMorph

Let me know if you figure it out... I find that only restarting FSX fixes it for me... It's like the CTRL and SHIFT buttons lock on and FSX doesn't register they have been released.

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

matta757

I found that today it happened sometimes when I would use a switch in the cockpit. I have my switches programmed as key strokes through FSUIPC using the assigned keyboard buttons for the PSS 757. I am not sure though why this is happening because I am pretty sure if I just used the keyboard instead of the switch, the problem does not occur.

Back to investigating...

NeoMorph

OK, got another trigger for you... When I switch to the different panel views sometimes it messes up the keyboard as well. I wonder if there is a way to make FSX write out a verbose log of what it is doing? I was in the process of capturing the localiser, hit G and nothing happened. This actually explains why I belly landed the other day as well... FSX thought I was hitting SHIFT-CTRL-G instead of just G. I wonder if FSUIPC is interfering somehow...

Actually I found another thing the other day that might have another link to this problem. For some reason if I don't specify a rudder axis the program indicates full right rudder... as if I was holding down a key linked to right rudder all the time. Explained why takeoffs were going pear shaped every time. I was actually taking off with the right engine only just to stop the darn thing spinning off after about 20ft. When the keyboard goes wonky I can take off normally (which is why I wonder if it is linked somehow or if one bug is actually fixing another... weird that!)

matta757

You can create a log file with FSUIPC. I am going to analyze the log closely but its difficult to read/understand.

I just completed a flight and dealt with the problem for the duration of the flight. I find that I can get the keyboard responses to return to normal by pressing CTRL and SHIFT. It generally seems to happen after using a switch. I have also had the problem persist once after exiting flight sim, meaning to me that it's not just a flight sim problem? However, I tried switching keyboards and mice, but the problem still happens. It also happens with only 1 mouse plugged it.

I also found that one several occasions, I was not able to turn on/off the NumLock. Anyone know what this might point to?

NeoMorph

It's sounding more and more like a keyboard controller issue somewhere along the line. It registeres a down key stroke but not the release... which then means that any keypresses afterwards get modified.

What control system are you using for yoke, throttles, rudder etc?? I'm using Saitek with the SPAD driver and I wonder if it's that that causing problems (at least for me). I will do the FSUIPC logging later on today (4:46am... another night with lack of sleep  ???).

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate