Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
561 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 381
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 561
Total: 561

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Cloning a monitor

Started by matta757, June 13, 2011, 07:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hey guys,

What is the best way to clone a monitor? I need to clone my Capt. instruments for my F/O side. I bought a cheap VGA-splitter, but I am a little unhappy with the results, partly because I was running my Capt. side in DVI before, but had to switch to VGA because that's what the new monitor I got can handle. I think the colors seem a little dull, and that's after trying to tweak the monitors. I dunno if I did something wrong or if that's just what happens when you clone a monitor.

So for those of you who just clone your instruments for Capt and F/O, how do you suggest doing it?

Thanks,
Matt

jackpilot

Usually the splitter is OK ???
you may also go for dual monitors on the same card and use the clone function.
JP

Jack

Kennair

Hi Matt, I used a powered VGA splitter box to clone Capt and FO screens but also found less than ideal results.  In my case I found both monitors were slightly blurry with the text having jagged edges.  I couldn't find any parameter within the video card software to adjust and clear it up though.  I soon got use to it however.  This was a cheap unit off ebay and only VGA so perhaps if you had a more expensive DVI splitter the results would be better.  I also tried a simply VGA "Y" cord but this was much worse with poor signal strength to both monitors resulting in very blurry screens.  As for the mix of DVI and VGA requirements for your monitor you could just use a DVI to VGA adaptor for the other monitor.  I use plenty of these with no loss of quality.

Of course what Jack suggests is also a good idea by connecting to two video card outputs if you have one spare.  Not sure if this would cause the card to labour more however.  Give it a go, it won't cost you anything.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

jackpilot

Very curious that the Y did not work. I used it for my FO and the pic was perfect on both sides Using a basic  Nvidia card.

Jack

ian@737ng.co.uk

Quote from: jackpilot on June 14, 2011, 04:27:29 AM
Very curious that the Y did not work. I used it for my FO and the pic was perfect on both sides Using a basic  Nvidia card.

i also use Y splitters both in the cockpit and on the test rig with no loss of quality.
one of the outputs from the cards are DVI with a DVI to VGA converter fitted.
guess i'm just lucky.
hope you find the solution Matta....
rgds

ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

phil744

Ive had same issues before now, was down to cheap made in china splitter, but also, make sure that you keep the cable lenghts down to a minimum
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

matta757

Quote from: Kennair on June 14, 2011, 12:52:46 AM
Hi Matt, I used a powered VGA splitter box to clone Capt and FO screens but also found less than ideal results.  In my case I found both monitors were slightly blurry with the text having jagged edges.  I couldn't find any parameter within the video card software to adjust and clear it up though.  I soon got use to it however.  This was a cheap unit off ebay and only VGA so perhaps if you had a more expensive DVI splitter the results would be better.  I also tried a simply VGA "Y" cord but this was much worse with poor signal strength to both monitors resulting in very blurry screens.  As for the mix of DVI and VGA requirements for your monitor you could just use a DVI to VGA adaptor for the other monitor.  I use plenty of these with no loss of quality.

Of course what Jack suggests is also a good idea by connecting to two video card outputs if you have one spare.  Not sure if this would cause the card to labour more however.  Give it a go, it won't cost you anything.

Ken.

See that leaves me even more confused. Most of the reviews I have read said that using a powered splitter is the way to go, as opposed to a simly Y splitter.

Maybe my Y splitter is just too cheap, but this whole thing is so frustrating. The problem with the clone function on the video card is that once you choose to clone, you have to clone for ALL outputs on that card; my problem with that is my EICAS screen is on the other DVI output on that card. So even if I did use the S-video output to put the F/O monitor on that card, cloning it isn't an option because I would lose my EICAS. And I really don't want to have to open another panel window because it will impact frame rates. The whole idea was to find a way to split the one window so as not to impact frame rates...

jskibo

Given any thought to a USB to DVI device like those in the EVGA B-Stock section? 
Less than 4 years to retirement......

matta757

That's a good idea... do you know if you can clone a specific monitor to that USB/DVI output? Anyone here using one and can describe how the setup works?

The evga one is sold out, unfortunately!

Kennair

I think confusion is mandatory in this game, that's why they call them "Confusers" instead of Computers! LOl.

As for the "Y" cord I in fact tried this option after reading Ian's technical section but I didn't have much luck on my old computer running an AGP card.  I must say I didn't presevere much as I decided to get a powered splitter.  I use this on another much better confuser but still get a blurry result but as Phil mentioned this could well be due to the cheap ebay item.  If Jack and Ian are getting good results from a simple "Y" cord then this is certainly the cheapest option and worth a try.  It might depend however on what else is running off the video card or confuser and indeed the cable length.

The other thing to consider is screen resolutions but I would assume if you are cloning the two monitors you would have two screens of the same res.

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

jskibo

Quote from: matta757 on June 14, 2011, 06:26:21 PM
That's a good idea... do you know if you can clone a specific monitor to that USB/DVI output? Anyone here using one and can describe how the setup works?

The evga one is sold out, unfortunately!

Try this one Part Number: 100-U2-UV12-RX
Last one on this page http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

Manual here http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/100-U2-UV16-A1_Manual.pdf

Difference in models is max resolution  12 is less than 16 is less than 19
Less than 4 years to retirement......

matta757

*Update*

John- thanks for the idea, works like a charm. Bought the cheap one (cuz I only needed 1280x1024) and now I'm all set!

Best,
Matt

matta757

Alright, need some help now. I said it was working like a charm and I guess that was a little premature. I made that comment before running FS with the UV+12 attached. I have now twice encountered blue screen errors when trying to run FS9 with the UV+ attached.

Here's my setup:
Acer 245H 24" monitor - DVI - running outside views
Dell 1907 19" monitor - VGA - running EICAS screen
Dell 1907 19" monitor - DVI - running Captain's instruments
Dell 1901FP 19" monitor - attached to UV+ with a DVI to VGA cable (ran out of DVI cables) - cloning the Dell 1907 Captain's for F/O Instruments

The Acer is running at 1920x1080 and the other three are running 1280x1024. I am not sure why this blue screen problem is happening. If anyone has any ideas how I might be able to rectify the problem, I would love some help.

System specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1 (64 Bit)
Mainboard: Intel P67 (Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3)
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K (4.6GHz Factory O/C) Quad Core
CPU Cooling: Corsair A50 Advanced CPU Air Cooling
System Memory: 8GB High Performance DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz CL7
Graphics card: nVIDIA GTX 460 (outside views) and nVIDIA 9800GT (panel views)

Thanks guys,
Matt

Bob Reed

What are the temps in your machine when you are running the sim?

matta757

Bob- is there a way to know the temps? Because at the moment I am not sure. Thanks.

Kennair

Hi Matt,

Attached is one example of a temp monitor program that might assist.

I would start by disconnecting the USB-VGA converter and see if you still get the BSOD.  You are asking a lot of the USB rail to drive that extra 19" monitor.  Might be OK for a small clock monitor or mini EICAS but a full instrument display might be too much.  I don't use them so don't have first hand experience but have read issues for anything with high graphic detail.  A VGA splitter would be much less drain on the system.

Ken.

matta757

Hi Ken,

It does not crash with the USB monitor unplugged. It's clearly a problem with the USB device. Although it is suppose to be able to run resolutions higher than 1280x1024. Evga is going to do an RMA with it, so hopefully it was a problem with the device.

Thanks,
Matt

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate