Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 03:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
28 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Vintage WW Two bomber crashes, burns in Illinois cornfield

Started by jskibo, June 13, 2011, 09:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

Scott, did you see this one?

CHICAGO (Reuters) – A vintage World War Two bomber crashed in a sodden cornfield about 40 miles east of Chicago on Monday shortly after takeoff, officials with the Federal Aviation Administration said.

All seven people on board the B-17 Flying Fortress escaped without injury, FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said.

The pilot of the aircraft, which was built in 1944 and in town for a salute to veterans, reported a fire on board shortly after leaving the Aurora Municipal Airport at 9:30 a.m.

He was trying to return to the facility when he went down in a cornfield about four miles southeast of the airport.

Fire crews were unable to get their equipment close to the burning plane, however, because the field was too wet.

Nick Weber, a firefighter with the Sugar Grove Fire Protection District, said teams were still out on the call nearly two-and-a-half hours later.

The FAA said it was investigating the accident.

Less than 4 years to retirement......

jackpilot

Rats, at least they walked out of it!
Feeling for the airplane though.
JP

Jack

XOrionFE

yeah, saw this.   I live about 2 miles off the approach end of Rwy 27 at Aurora so i get to see all the plans flying all the time and have seen the Liberty Bell in person a couple times and watched them flying this last Weekend.  They crash in an area that is really close to the practice area for those of us training at Aurora.  Real shame as it was a beautiful plane.  I have pictures of it from a few years ago right over myhouse.    The crew was really lucky and lucky it happened out hear in the country where there are tons of bean fields to choose from in an emergency.

Scott

Bob Reed

I have gone for a ride in that plane. Sad day indeed, but at least the crew is safe. Just a tragedy....

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate