Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 03:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
581 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 585
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 581
Total: 581

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

As of June 21, 2011-New CPU and Computer Setups for FSX

Started by blueskydriver, June 21, 2011, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Well, the subject should say it all. However, we're looking at upgrading to the I7-990X or the I7-2600(k), but would like to know what everyone is using currently; especially, if you purchased a new setup in 2011.

Please post the entire rundown sheet that includes CPU, RAM, Motherboard and etc. If you're Overclocking please post the "from speed" to the "to speed"

Maurice you just upgraded what did you get in detail, and now what is your review of the system?

Finally, members please do not turn this into a big debate about which is better...you know the old Intel vs AMD or NVidia vs ATI battles; none of that please. Just want to have a friendly conversation and keep it on topic about what others are using here in CB.

Thanks BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Garys

One thing I try and do even if Im not upgrading is to try and stay on top of the latest hardware specifically related to flightsim. The hot item right now is the 2500k/2600k systems. Seem to outperform the extreme processes due to the architecture and overclocking.

Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock all build great motherboards. Any of the enthusiast boards from those manufactures will be good. Avoid any that have on board graphics. I have always built with Asus.
A good cooler though is most important especially when overclocking. The new corsair H series is very good.

As for memory, look for the memory with the lowest timings. Ive had hit and miss luck with memory over the years. Buying the most expensive doesnt necessaryily mean the best or reliable and Ive had a couple of sticks DOA. Any of the main manufactures should be good but I ve had most probelms with crucial.

For the graphics the nvidia gtx 580. Unlike Ati, Nvidia is still supporting fsx in its driver releases and so far all the favor is still with nvidia despite Ati producing some brilliant cards.

Amd's new bulldozer cpu has been delayed until the end of july and there is talk that intel may bring fwd  the release k extreme processors to counteract.  If your not in hurry to upgrade I would say hang off for another little bit and see what plays out.

Gary

727737Nut

I5 2500K  3.2 stock at 4.3G now and no issues at all running FSX for 8hrs straight
ASRock B4 Extreme MB
GSkill 8G 1600Mhz Ram
Nvidia 4600GTX 1G ram
Power cooler
SSD hard drive. 

1000 to build and system ROCKS FSX!!
737 Junkie

astron

Weve recently,purchased a new system for our 737 sim, actually 2 computers one for fsx and the outside graphics,and the other for the servercomputer to run sim-A and the inside cockpit systems and monitors, both units run extremely well, we can run fsx locked at 45 fps all day long, here is the breakdown of both units.

FSX Computer, use 2 hardrives one for the OS,and the other for fsx only

Chassis:  CM HAF 922 Mid tower ATX

Mainboard:  EVGA X58 FTW3, USB 3.0 Sata 6gbs

Processor:  i7 990X O/C to 4.2 ghz

CPU cooling: Corsair H70 Liquid CPU cooling

System memory:  6 GB High performance DDR3 SDRAM 1600 Mhz CL6

Graphics proccessor: 1536 MB EVGA GeForce GTX 580,GDDR5,

System power: 1200 Watt Corsair AX series

Sound card:  Sound blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1 HD

OS harddrive:  500 GB WD Black edition, 7200 RPM

FSX Harddrive: 300 GB WD VelociRaptor 10K RPM, Sata 3 Gbs

Sim-A server computer, uses 3 video cards for 6 outputs to the cockpit monitors.

Chassis: HAF 922 Mid tower ATX

Mainboard: EVGA X58 SLI3 USB 3.0 sata 6 gbs

Processor:  i7 950  3.33 ghz Quad core

CPU cooling: Intel extreme series cpu air cooler

System memory: 6GB High performance DDR3 SDRAM 1600 Mhz

Graphics processor: Uses 3,   1GB EVGA GeForce GT 430 GDDR5

System power: 850 Watt Corsair TX series

Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 HD audio

Harddrive:  150 GB WD Velociraptor 10K RPM SATA 3 gbs

I bought these machines from Greg over at Jetline systems, very knowledgable and a very nice guy.

Tom

Flying_Fox

I assembled my main FSX PC myself and it has:

Antec Sonata Mid tower ATX

MSI P67-GD65 motherboard,

Sandy Bridge 2600K processor (not overclocked yet, since the FSX setup is not finished)
Coolermaster CPU Cooler Hyper 212

8 GB G.Skill RAM,

CoolerMaster 1000W PSU

Two Corsair SSD drives (F60 and F120). 60GB drive is for Windows 7 64-bit and 120 GB for FSX stuff.

500 GB 7200RPM WD HDD.

NVidia GTX 570 video card with 1280MB GDDR5.

Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital.

Windows 7-64 Professional

More computers will be added later.

blueskydriver

After all this time, we got the new computer running tonight. Meaning hooked up like the last one was, ready to fly (RTF).

Anyway, the first thing is AMAZING! Cannot believe the difference between a Core 2 Quad and an I7 2600k! Right now, the FPS with the I7 is about 30fps sitting at KORD with real weather, and all settings set at what Nick Needham's list suggest. It's hard to describe in words, but got AI everywhere and vehicle traffic at the airport and on the roads.

The entire setup is as follows:

From NewEgg

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M RMB
ASROCK|P67 EXTREME4 (B3) P67 R
VGA ZOTAC|ZT-50102-10P GTX580 R
SSD 128G|CRUCIAL CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1
MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH (x4=8G)
MS WIN 7 ULT SP1 64-BIT 1-PK - OEM
CPU CORSAIR| CWCH70 RT
CASE XCLIO|A380PLUS-BK BK RT

From Tiger Direct

Ultra X4 1050-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration, 80+ Silver, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications, Vibration Dampener Included (U12-40502)

FSX with Acceleration is installed with all the add-ons that are in the signature box down below (will post them if anyone wants more details on those).

This is on the Matrox TH2GO on the Mits (projected).

Finally, cannot see how more could be had...but, haven't overclocked anything yet. The CPU or Video Card is clockable, so looking forward to bumping things up even more. Although, might not need too looking at it now...

Highly recommend the I7 2600k, and that you should look at Jetline Systems website to get tidbit info, no need to buy it from them if you know a thing or two about computers. If not, buy it from them...

If anyone wants to know more send a PM and we can help you out...

BSD Team

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate