Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 07:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
365 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 377
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 365
Total: 365

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Another video from Angus Wighton

Started by Maurice, July 02, 2011, 12:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

For those of you who do not know Angus, Angus is a corporate pilot who takes flight simulation very seriously. No sitting down & taking off without adequate preparation as you can see in this video. Angus loves to teach new pilots & insists on following all procedures correctly as if in a real plane.

His simulator is simply amazing and proves that you don't have to be overly concerned with making it look like an exact replica of the real aircraft. Anyone who has had a chance to fly with Angus in his simulator will testify to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVNUtEtt4Q&feature=related  & many other videos as well.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Hessel Oosten

Maurice,

Thanks for the link !
This is really simulation on it's ***BEST***.

Hessel

MLeavy737

Great link and nice jobs guys! I always like to see real procedures in these home sims. Looks cool.

As usual ill add my 2 cents worth..

Having flown corporate for 10 years or so and now flying for the airlines for the past 5 i have a pretty good idea of both sides and how each operates. In the corporate world flying Lears and Falcons, a crew briefing was pretty much like what you see there in that video. Captains usually waited for passengers in the terminal and the FO's waited in the airplane and setup the route, programmed the fmc.. Etc.. When it was time to go the captain and pax jumped in the airplane started up and taxied out. The crew briefing was completed including departure procedure, speeds, abort discussion, any threats to the flight etc. Just like that video.
  Heres the airline difference. In the airlines, at least at Continental, there is NO read that ZERO taxi checklist or any briefing on taxi out. All that discussion about route, engine failure, speeds, threats etc. Is done at the gate in a calm relaxed setting where you can really discuss it and verify everything before you even move.
  The whole idea here is that when you are taxing you should be paying attention to taxing, ATC, runway crossings, other airplanes etc.. not being knee deep in conversation about who, what, where, and how were going to do something in case something happens.
  Thinking back to my corporate days and looking at that video.. To me theres not much difference between that and texting and driving :) If i were to go back to corporate (hopefully never) the first thing i would do is go to the chief pilot and get rid of that Taxi checklist including briefing on taxi out!!

Anyhow, take it for what its worth.  Have fun!

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Maurice

Quote from: MLeavy737 on July 02, 2011, 08:09:07 PM

Thinking back to my corporate days and looking at that video.. To me theres not much difference between that and texting and driving :) If i were to go back to corporate (hopefully never) the first thing i would do is go to the chief pilot and get rid of that Taxi checklist including briefing on taxi out!!

Mike Leavy

I have to disagree with you Mike. Airline captains also text & drive otherwise how else can you explain the A380 that lost part of its wing while taxiing?  ;D

Interesting input though. I wonder if the reason for the differences is that corporate pilots are usually more rushed than airline pilots. The 'Boss' calls and tells you to get ready to take off for Timbuktu in the next 15 minutes, so they have no time to leisurely get ready while still at the gate.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Angus Wighton

In truth, its more from an artistic point of view ..... watching a video of an extended & detailed Takeoff Briefing with the aircraft sitting motionless at the Terminal is just simply boring videography!! 

While many Takeoff Briefings in corporate aviation are conducted during taxiing, the detailed & extended versions such as these are most often completed long before the passengers arrive while still sitting parked on the ramp - particularly at major international airports with busy & complicated networks of taxiways.   Again, if posting a video of a simulator being taxied out for takeoff with five minutes of silence as two pilots stare blankly ahead down the taxiway .... which video provides more interest?

Maurice I have many "airline" friends, a few that even flew corporately prior to their airline careers, and there is a sense of their checks being "time sensitive" .... but not back in corporate, but when they got to the airlines.  Its true in corporate, where the boss has a business jet so that he doesn't need to conform with an airline schedule to conduct his business, that the boss CAN arrive early back at the aircraft - if the deal goes poorly, or if the deal goes extremely well!  In reality because they are not under the pressure of meeting a published airline schedule they don't often arrive early, but there is still the chance that they might. 

As a result the standard "show" time in corporate aviation is 1 hour 30 minutes before scheduled takeoff, with the plan of being completely ready for engine start 30 minutes early - just in case!  Most airline crews walk on the flightdeck 30 minutes before pushback - and although unlike us - there is no fear of leaving early!  They still generally have those 30 minutes to get prepared.  My oldest friend (grew up in Toronto together) is a senior Southwest  B737 Captain, whose his call when he enters the flightdeck 30 mins before pushback never changes "Coffee & PreFlight Checklist please!" 

In truth, it is an industry with professionals that take training and safety procedures to the highest level in normal day to day operations which makes "flying" the safest way to travel.  You have heard the line that the most dangerous part of the job for Mike as an airline pilot or myself as a corporate pilot is our drive to the airport where we share the road with complete idiots. 

It is the flight simulator that makes the biggest impact on the incredible safety record that the travelling public takes for granted when they take their seats in the large passenger cabin of Mike's airliners or the business board rooms of corporate jets like mine.  Each of us takes your safety in our hands as we share that busy airspace high above ..... but do it with confidence because it is done with other highly trained professional pilots in the other aircraft. 

Enjoy building, and especially FLYING your flight simulators - they are the icons of safety in the world of aviation!

XOrionFE

These are truly excellent Angus.   Thank you to you and the crew for sharing these.    They are inspiring and I love watching the level of professionalism and attention to detail the crew use while conducting the flight.   This is truly the way every simulator should be flown.   I will probably watch these over and over many times over the coming months!   LOL

Best regards,
Scott

fsaviator

Thanks Angus,

Very inspirational (and motivational).  I hope to have my daughter up to this standard in the sim by the time she's ready for college...  then I can probably coax her into the Air Force Academy, followed by a career in flying.

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Bob Reed

MLeavy737

Angus.. Good post and your absolutely right about professionals in the sky and the use of simulators as tools to maintain the highest of standards and skill. 

Didn't mean to be critical of the video at all, just meant to offer a view based on experience. :) 

Lol, the reason a Captain can walk on the airplane 30 prior to push and ask for their coffee is because the FO has everything done! Lol..  I remember the reaon i had to be at the airport 1:30 prior is because corporate crews have to do literally everything! Usually showing up to an airplane with covers on it, not fueled for the day, not catered, no flight plans in, no idea of weather, no bills paid, airplane still inside.. etc.. Sometimes it was all a rush. Now when the boss calls hes showing 20 early things get fun!

I know the pressure some of these CEO idiots put on crews and i have many many many stories of such situations. I had one in particular mid flight asking me basically to exceed the limitations of the airplane to get into a certain airport. This same person was in a plane crash and had lost his son while he survived with a broken back just a few years prior! Chilling feeling when you suddenly realize that this person may had played a role in that crash in my opinion. Had another one after being told the WX was way below landing minimums preceeded to ask me "What the !&*? I was looking at and how did i come up with that information when he just talked to his friend at the ski mountain and the WX was clear.. A few questions from me and he suddenly realized that his friend on the ski mountain was a good 80 miles away from the airport and the airport was fogged in due to a paper mill plant that sometimes produces low level clouds and fills the valley. Eagle Colorado to be exact.

To me  weather its an airliner, corporate jet, single engine or whatever there will always be things that get in the way of safety. Sometimes the boss has to wait so a crew can brief  and sometimes an airliner departs late because the crew got there  late and isnt finished with their checks and breifings. I always love when a gate agent is bothering and us while were setting up and talking about what were doing.. Captains in one form or another usually tell the agents to get the hell out of the flightdeck in some creative ways! Lol!

Haa. Heres something funny i though of.. Next time you simmers fly make a deal with someone that if you have an accident, crash, do something that would have your license yanked etc. You will give your sim to them!  Whos first? :)

Mike Leavy

The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

B737-HH

Yes realy good videos!!!
But is it not normal first do items then read checklist?
Regards
Jan

Angus Wighton

Yes, airline S.O.P.'s are for both crew members to throw their set of cockpit switches first in their designed "cockpit flows" and then the First Officer comes back to confirm nothing was missed or set in correctly with the checklist, as a follow up.

In corporate aviation, things are done a little differently.  The first distinct difference is that the Captain & First Officer in most cases switch seats each leg, the PF (Pilot Flying) always being in the left seat.  The Captain remains the Captain, its just that he/she does not need to occupy the left seat to do so.  In addition, in corporate aviation the checklists are done in a "challenge & response" form with the PNF using the checklist to call each item in sequence.  This also means the PF in the left seat no longer reaches around the cockpit for switches or to the Overhead Panel .... all actions are accomplished by the PNF, which leaves the PF to control the aircraft on the ground, and in the air.

No way is right or wrong .... just a different S.O.P. emphasis.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate