Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:11:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
364 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 364
Total: 364

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My Oshkosh report

Started by Maurice, July 25, 2011, 05:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

Oshkosh report

Well, I've had my first day in Oshkosh and there is only one word to describe it. WOW!!!!! . My last visit there was around 10 years ago and my, how things have grown. To say that this is a gigantic show would be the understatement of the year. It was already huge 10 years ago and it has grown in leaps & bounds since then.

One thing is absolutely certain... there are no signs of any recession at the show. The attendance is huge and the number of exhibitors is enormous. It seems like new aircraft types are coming out of the woodwork in droves. And the incredible array of new high tech avionics is mind boggling.

Talking about recession, what I definitely saw instead was inflation. Particularly, beer bellies are more inflated & and more numerous. :) If only people drank diet Coke like me, the healthcare woes of the US would certainly decline.  ;D

I am totally dehydrated from drooling at the sight of these new (& old) beautiful airplanes, BUT, I am also amazed that my simulator beats any simulators I saw at the show. Frasca had a pitiful display and Elite also had nothing to write home about. In my opinion, our homebuilt simulators are way ahead of anything they have to offer in the less than $100,000 range at least.

Years ago, I drooled at the sight of the Frasca simulator they had on display but not today since they had only literature. I'm sure that I would have just felt contempt if they had elected to bring the same simulator they brought years ago. If FDS had a full size sim over here, there would be huge crowds around it I'm sure

Notably missing at the show were Microsoft & X-plane. Years ago, Microsoft had a big booth showing FSX and Austin Meyer was there showing his latest creation, but no signs of them this year. Not too surprising for Microsoft since they have nothing new ready, but I was sure X-Plane would have an exhibit.

It would have been nice to see PMDG as well and I'm sure they would have sold countless copies of their products but I guess they are not into that kind of market. Pity because they will never find such a huge crowd of airplane fanatics in one place. Microsoft had huge crowds when they showed FSX years ago so not everyone is interested or can afford real airplanes or homebuits and they just come here to drool & fantasize like I am.

Anyway, I did not take any pictures today as I was just too busy walking aimlessly all over the place and I did not want any extra cargo on me. I should have taken a pedometer to see if I reached 10 miles. It must be close though.

I must also say that Wisconsin tried very hard to discourage me from ever coming back. Huge traffic jams as they are totally re-building highway 41 which is the main route from Green Bay where I am staying. That did not put me in a good mood this morning but all is forgotten now. Tomorrow, I will let the GPS take me on the 'road less travelled'. I did that for my return to the hotel and it was quite pleasant actually to drive through rural Wisconsin where I was mostly alone on the road. A bit longer but a heck of a lot less stressful.

Unfortunately, Boeing is only bringing their 787 Dreamliner to the show on Friday and I will not likely be around that long. I'm very temped to extend my stay but that will not likely happen especially since the weather is going to get pretty steamy and with thundershowers starting Wednesday . Grrrrr!!!

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'll be doing. Over the many years I visited Oshkosh, I took countless pictures and never looked at them again. So I'm leery of bothering to take any since you can find much better pics anyway on their website http://www.airventure.org/

So long for now. If I have anything worthwhile to say tomorrow, I'll post again and if not, I'm just going to walk about again & fantasize owning a Cessna Caravan amphibian or some other great airplane. Thank goodness dreaming is free.  :)

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

fdspcos

Great overview Mau. Steve and I really need to make this pilgrimage soon. Maybe we grab the locals and a motorhome next year? Pics please!
Peter Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Ltd (FDS)

dharrison

I'm sure Scott and I would join you for the road trip! We are only a stones throw away!

Don

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate