Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 12:35:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
367 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 372
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 367
Total: 367

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

B777 Sim-Avionics questions

Started by hexpope, July 27, 2011, 07:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hexpope

Hi guys,

I have downloaded their demo regarding Sim-Avionics. I have been reading through their manual and have found alot of their features brilliant. There is a few questions I would like to ask to the people that are already using this full license of software.

Qs. I will be using all of Opencockpits interface cards to build the following: EFISx2 / MCP / Overhead / Radio's / MIP buttons and anouncators. How is sim-avionics working out with SIOC?

Qs. I was thinking of getting the 747 CDU from opencockpits, how will this fair out with sim-avionics cdu software?

another note is also, I have multiple 8" 4:3 usb monitor's, im sure using these will not be a problem for the PFD, MFD, ND etc ? I was trying to access the B777 Sypnotics functions, and to my surprise they are not enabled for me to test out, which is very important as im building a B777 cockpit. Can anyone show me some screen shots and maybe explain to me what detail sim-avionics have gone to, to replicate the MFD.

Sorry for the questions, but im egar to know before I start dishing out the bucks for this software.

fordgt40

Quote from: hexpope on July 27, 2011, 07:09:21 AM

Qs. I will be using all of Opencockpits interface cards to build the following: EFISx2 / MCP / Overhead / Radio's / MIP buttons and anouncators. How is sim-avionics working out with SIOC?

No problems at all :) - other than writing/amending scripts which some find daunting

I have my whole cockpit, MIP, MCP, EFIS, Overhead, CDU and centre pedestal stand all interfacing thru OC hardware and sioc to SA quite. SA has an excellent h/w interface

Re the MFD it should work on the demo version. Make certain that you have selected it via the gauge onscreen menu and that one of the numeric choices has been made for the synoptic display - this can be verified via the EFIS screen.

David

hexpope

Thanks for giving me some info about the SIOC and Sim-A. I tried out what you said, and the only thing I get on the MFD is this message. "Not available in Demo Mode"

I can see the electric's screen when I use the CPT ND alright, but all the other buttons says "Not available in Demo mode"

Thanks for your reply.

fordgt40

Hi sorry about that - they must have changed things  :(

David

Bob Reed

Hexpope, why not just ask Sim-A and see what they say. If you can't trust them to give you a fair answer then I don't think you want to buy from them (I think they will answer honestly)  :idiot:

Kennair

Hi Hexpope,

Like David, I also have OC hardware operational with Sim-A via SIOC and I'm also building a 777.  Its much more difficult learning and implementing the SIOC side of things than the Sim-A so you can easily make that choice with confidence.  I have an FDS CDU so can't comment on the OC version however given the functionality is driven through SIOC I wouldn't think there is a problem with it.  Sim-A has a config file specifically for the FDS hardware which makes it a breeze to setup and run however it is more expensive than the OC version.

As for the MFD functions in the demo version yes there are limitations.  I think only the Electrical and the Flight controls pages are operational just to give you a taste.  I assure you all pages that can be selected on the 777's DSP are faithfully represented on the MFD including a full set of checklists with cursor control.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

hexpope

Quote from: Bob Reed on July 28, 2011, 06:34:18 AM
Hexpope, why not just ask Sim-A and see what they say. If you can't trust them to give you a fair answer then I don't think you want to buy from them (I think they will answer honestly)  :idiot:

I never said that I can't trust them. I wanted the builders opinion, the users that build and interface their hardware.

@ Kennair

Thanks Kennair for your input regarding Opencockpits and the information about the FMC and MFD functions :D Im going to have a look at your site now.

Bob Reed

Did not mean to imply that you dd not trust them. Was more a question of why not ask the vender. Also understand wanting user input. Have a great day.

Kennair

Quote from: hexpope on July 28, 2011, 07:40:38 AM
Thanks Kennair for your input regarding Opencockpits and the information about the FMC and MFD functions :D Im going to have a look at your site now.

Unfortunately there's not much info on my site currently regarding Sim-A, just haven't had the time to update it to that extent.  Feel free to PM me and I'll help out with specific questions and/or pictures.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

hexpope

Thank Kennair for your input, and your offer for help. SIOC should'nt be a problem.  There is tons of tutorials and Kiek has a mountain of info on it on his website. I was looking through the Sim-A forum this morning and noticed that there is a bug in the lastest version regarding the cursor / mouse clickable objects for the MFD at the moment.  I have also been wondering about the trim displays beside the throttle quadrant. I was thinking of using these with the opencockpits LCD kit.  What do you think ?

Kennair

If the mouse cursor bug is an issue you can always revert back to version 1.156 but you will lose the other gains in the later version.

Yes Nico is probably the pre-eminent SIOC coder in the community and those LCD's can certainly be integrated as trim indicators with the appropriate code to suit.  The other alternative is using OC or Phidgets with stepper motors and a physical display.

Ken.

hexpope

I think ill hold off buying it for another while, as I was looking through the forums on SIM-A and seen alot of people complaing about configuring this and that all the time, and not really getting a chance to actually fly.

My demo expierences weren't great either. I was using the autopilot and it seemed to work ok, but when it approached the certain speed I had programmed it didnt settle well. It goes up and down beyond it alot. When I disengauge the AP and I have the sound module also running, the disconnect sound just keeps playing over and over and over. The only way to stop it is shut  down the sound module.

I am using the  Posky777-200 and also seen your post about changing some of the aircraft.cfg settings. I need to read the manual again also.

jackpilot

Setting up a Sim takes time and cannot really be planned, even with a demo, wheter it is PM, SimA or any of the main Softs available.
I see daily, in some specialized forums, questions which have clear answers in manuals, or which have already been debated and solved.
The urge to fly is legit, but it leads to shortcut the learning curve and find bugs where there are none.
Based on years of self inflicted problems... :D

Jack

Jetcos

The Aural warnings need to be pressed twice for A/P Disconnect and A/T disconnect. They are like that on the real aircraft to make sure you really wanted to do that. One press to disconnect, second press to cancel the aural warning.

I have worked with PM, AST and SIM-A and they all take time to setup. The more you use them the better you get at it. Just think, you will set them up and years from now you will update something, replace something and have to remember "how the heck did I do that 3 years ago?" 

What were you using with Sim-A for FS? FSX? What aircraft? Default B737? 

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

hexpope

Hi Jetcos,

I am using FSX SP2 and currently using Posky 777-200 GE which is great, I added a few tweaks that I seen posted by kennair that he posted up on the SIM-A forums.

I will try what you said, about the autopilot aural warning. Thanks for your help regarding that matter :D

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate