Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 04:57:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
563 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 563
Total: 563

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Which Do You Like Better... Steam Gauges or Glass Cockpits?

Started by NeoMorph, September 10, 2011, 08:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

Personally I like the old gauge based cockpits. It's one of the reasons why I chose the 72-500. Yet the next version of the ATR 72 is the 72-600 that's now a glass cockpit layout.

Now the 72-600 (top image) is a very clean layout but it's like the soul of the aircraft is missing.... Now compared to the 72-500 (bottom image)...

That's an actual simulator of the 72-500... probably a professional trainer job though... I can only hope that mine comes out similar heh.

So what do you like and why? I love proper gauges because they seem to make the sim a lot more immersive.
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Bob Reed

Lets face it, we sim pilots like lots of flashy and moving things and buttons to push! It is what gets most of us started in this. I love the looks of steam gauges but up until recently it was just way too expensive to think about using them. The glass has it's own look and I am heading tords a mixture of both.

NeoMorph

Yeah... the more buttons to push the better... :D

Thing is, we are heading towards Star Trek style. First time I saw a photo of the dreamliner cockpit I thought it was a concept model and not an actual cockpit. Even the cabin looks like something Captain Picard would use...

But here is the kicker... Jets use more fuel than turboprops... will we turn around and return to the age of prop driven travel because of dwindling oil reserves? Of course it would mean computers trying to make the engines run as fuel efficient as possible so it's going to mean glass cockpits like the ATR 72-600.

But I need to get back onto the subject... I love steam gauges (why are they called steam gauges anyway) over glass... but glass is a LOT easier and cheaper to do like you said Bob... BUT... making a proper steam gauge panel will be so much more satisfying when it is done. Until I decide I'm going to be using glass to run the sim anyway..

Anyone else do that?... have a cobbled together sim while making the "real" one?
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

DarrylH

Bob Reed

LOL.. I am getting ready to do that now. Just cob it together to get it gong and then start to refine it. Need to get an idea of wha I want to do. Going to start today I think.

barramundi

this is a interesting topic actually because for me as a child that's what really captivated me when i first saw the cockpit of an airliner, my very first flight was with qantas. the number of switches gauges etc

Ideally I would like to have a mixture of both glass and steam like gauges. ;D

phil744

Same for me,

Aircraft designed in the 80's and early 90's work best for me, a nice split of both modern and classic, 2 favorites are the 757/767 and actually the Airbus A300/A310.

But, and old 60's or 70's jet thats been updated is the best, 727/747 updated with some glass, ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhh

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Iran-Air-Cargo/Boeing-747-21AC-SCD/1578769/L/&sid=9ee4f41ca4ea8bdbed0910e5b3a81fe9

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

jetpilot

Gentlemen,
I agrre with you. The more to see moving and the more you have to push and play with, the better. That is why I end up working with two cockpits: One 737 NG (Mainly FDS and real) and One 737-200 EFIS (Mainly real and some FDS)  :idiot:.
Roberto

Garys

For me its glass all the way. But only if it comes with a yoke  :)

Gary

Boeing Skunk Works

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jackpilot

Used steam and still loves it ieven if I am building a brand new NG.
Still have these files just n case! :P

Jack

Kennair

Quote from: DarrylH on September 10, 2011, 09:47:30 AM
Steam....no question.

Hey Darryl, perhaps they'll re-make the Spitty with all glass, maybe you'll change your mind?........NOT!  Lol. :laugh:

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Piper28

Hello,

for me  , STEAM.
My first visit on a flight deck was a Lufthansa B747-200 in the early 80´s. So many gauges and switches !!!.
Now , I am  happy with my Falcon 50 Sim in old Style.

Many Greetings

Guenter

MLeavy737

The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Trevor Hale

I Have to say Glass..  More information can be observed faster and with more accuracy.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate