Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 09:11:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
547 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 547
Total: 547

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Advanced Tutorials Section

Started by NeoMorph, September 21, 2011, 04:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

I'm not talking simple things that other sites do. I'm talking things like Matta's DC Motor interface problems or problems converting real parts to sim versions. I'm sure it would be of help to new users and would reduce some of the repeated questions that arise on these boards.
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Trevor Hale

An Interesting concept..  This software allows the creation of articles.  Like what you would find in a Book or Magazine.  I beleive all users have the ability to create an article, but I have never explored this option.  Instead of having builders concentrating on an article, I would rather see their progress building or have them help answer questions in the forum, but if people want it, we can do anything.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

fordgt40

Neo

I am inclined to agree with Trevor, the forum  has more visibilty and is more likely to be read. Perhaps any tutorial section should be headed by:-

Did You Read The Manual

Did You Really Read The Manual Properly

Now Read The Manual Again

;D

David

hexpope

Quote from: fordgt40 on September 21, 2011, 12:28:01 PM
Neo

I am inclined to agree with Trevor, the forum  has more visibilty and is more likely to be read. Perhaps any tutorial section should be headed by:-

Did You Read The Manual

Did You Really Read The Manual Properly

Now Read The Manual Again

;D

David

LOL, those damn manuals. They are no use.

NeoMorph

I meant a section of the forums where tutorials could be collected together... Maybe a subsection.

Oh and what if the manuals are like the Open Cockpits ones... Reading those is enough to send anyone nuts. If it wasn't for another site making their own tutorials the many OC owners would end up throwing their kit away.

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

fordgt40

Quote from: NeoMorph on September 22, 2011, 04:04:33 AM
If it wasn't for another site making their own tutorials the many OC owners would end up throwing their kit away.

If you mean Mutleys Hanger, then the review articles on OC cards, whilst helpful, do not actually contain much more, if any, information than is within their manuals or the scope of a little searching on the OC site. There is actually more information available in the MyCockpit.org threads that contributed to the articles written by "Boeing747pilot".

I have no issue with a "tutorial" section, indeed I have even contributed to one on Ian Sissons site, but feel that the core support should come from forum threads.

Regards

David

Don`t throw away your OC cards  :)

Trevor Hale

I have to agree especially because "help" or a tutorial begins when someone asks for help in the forum and the answer is given in the forum. If a section of tutorials is added then in essence all posts where someone was helped would have to be moved in that section. Because actually the whole forum is essentially designed to be 10% bragging and sim updates and 90% help for is all.

Although we chat and yip yap the forum is here to be a helpful resource for everyone.

Trev.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

jackpilot

Agreed...
I would just push the bragging to 12%!    :laugh:

Jack

NeoMorph

Quote from: fordgt40 on September 22, 2011, 04:45:39 AM
Quote from: NeoMorph on September 22, 2011, 04:04:33 AM
If it wasn't for another site making their own tutorials the many OC owners would end up throwing their kit away.

If you mean Mutleys Hanger, then the review articles on OC cards, whilst helpful, do not actually contain much more, if any, information than is within their manuals or the scope of a little searching on the OC site. There is actually more information available in the MyCockpit.org threads that contributed to the articles written by "Boeing747pilot".

I have no issue with a "tutorial" section, indeed I have even contributed to one on Ian Sissons site, but feel that the core support should come from forum threads.

Regards

David

Don`t throw away your OC cards  :)

Nope, not Muttleys... here.

http://www.lekseecon.nl/iocards.html

If it wasn't for that site's tutorials (which someone on here pointed me to earlier in the year) I would have been ripping what is left of my hair out trying to understand the spanglish and poorly copied diagrams. The cards themselves are amazing for the price and SIOC is awesome for coding the logic... it's just the Spanglish that tends to frustrate users (see Matta's frustration at the DC board).

jackpilot

I think that the OC manuals content and language has been sufficiently debated here.
It does not help anyone to rehash the fact .

Please refrain

Jack

Tom_G_2010

Quote from: fordgt40 on September 22, 2011, 04:45:39 AM
Quote from: NeoMorph on September 22, 2011, 04:04:33 AM. . . I have no issue with a "tutorial" section, indeed I have even contributed to one on Ian Sissons site, but feel that the core support should come from forum threads . . .

I agree that a lot of good info can be found through searching prior posts and asking unanswered questions in new posts.  However, there are times when reading through 178 replies across 34 threads, weeding out the pertinent facts, filtering out the rants, and trying to piece together the information you're looking for  can be a real pain in the back side.

Tutorials written by experienced builders on subjects that people commonly ask about or struggle with would make a great resource IMHO.

Any questions a reader might have as the result of having read a given tutorial can be posted in the forum.
PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

NeoMorph

And that is my point in a nutshell. The sheer number of posts spread across this site has oodles of information but in a rather haphazard format. If a problem with an interface board from XYZ company comes up and the problem gets solved and the solution is posted into the thread then the whole thread could be archived to the Tutorials section so that in future the users wouldn't have to trawl through loads of OT stuff to get to the pearls of wisdom.

Having QUESTION/TOPIC SOLVED tags would be useful as well I would have thought.

Remember, we are approaching 1000 members... Over time it means one heck of a load of posts to search through even when you know what to search for.

Trevor Hale

Well, If we have anyone who is interested and capable of writing such articles, We would gladly add them.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

hexpope

What Neo stated about the topic solved mark on the thread  would be an excellent idea. The avanced tutorial section  I  don't really know, as I don't have time  to write, but I would gladly info to anyone.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate