Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
447 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 447
Total: 447

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Motion Sim #2 assembly has started. (Updated 2/10/12)

Started by 727737Nut, January 02, 2012, 01:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

727737Nut

Well I am heeding Jack and Scott's advice.  Thanks to all for your ideas.  I am building a generic GA cockpit to do either bush flying in the Northwest, Rockies, and Alaska using Photo Scenery, or general fun flying like I would do in real life. It will be Light IFR capable with GPS and  real analog instruments.
It has 3 DOF motion base so that will add to the realism. I will be using a 32" LED LCD TV for front visual mounted to nose of the plane.   Below are some pictures of an afternoon's worth of work punctuated by my daughter testing the seat out. :)  Lots of work to do and MANY MANY unanswered questions on final interface.  But the basics are here and ready to go.

Rob
737 Junkie

XOrionFE

Very cool

I cant wait to see this come together and I am definitely going to make a trip over (if invited :-)) when its done!

Scott

727737Nut

Quote from: XOrionFE on January 02, 2012, 01:18:54 PM
Very cool

I cant wait to see this come together and I am definitely going to make a trip over (if invited :-)) when its done!

Scott

Thanks Scott and of course you are invited as well as any other fellow flight simmers out there. 

For the real pilot's out there, Sim #1 is FAA LEGAL IFR flight time that you can put in your log book and up to 20-50hrs can go towards your IFR and Commercial cert!   I have it all working now with plotter flight tracking, tower communications, and ILS charts for landing. 

I am usually home every weekend so come on over.

Rob
737 Junkie

shaneb

Looking forward to seeing this come together . .  that will make an awesome GA!
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

mikeh

Well done - this is exactly what I wish to do with tub #2 at the museum - after doing current projects, restoring a hh43 Husky, and a mig 21 (paint job only). The #1 tub now sits on dispaly waiting for some money to replace the power supplies and then I can set about finishing the motion 
Have done some work on interfacing and all seems fairly straight forward. the flight controls have nice pots already on them and the motion base has the feedback pots. I haven't forgotten I'm meant to be sorting out the working current on the motion motors - will be in touch soon I hope
ALL POWER to YOUR ELBOW WITH THIS GREAT PROJECT
ATR72 build project

727737Nut

Some updated pictures as of 1/19/12. Got the instruments mounted, got a nice set of Cessna 206 engine controls installed and interfaced. Right now all the Axis are installed and interfaced and FSX is flyable from the pit. I also got the PC installed in the rear shelf where the old analog computer was installed. Once I am satisfied with locations I will permanently install it to protect from shifting around during movement. Next up will be Instruments and Motion base interface.

Rob
737 Junkie

AK Mongo

Neat stuff Rob.

Is that a force feedback contraption for the yoke?  What kind of instruments are you using?

Have a good one.

Reid

727737Nut

There is no force feedback on yoke although I may add it in the future. It uses what looks like a car leaf spring for tension.   As for the gauges, they are all converted real Cessna gauges from Singer/Link.  I got the VSI working just before I left on vacation. Back now so back to work on the Sim and house chores. LOL
Rob
737 Junkie

mikeh

Just for interest - the sim we had at museum was working for short while before PSU gave up ghost and the Force feedback will (i feel) be unnecessary.
In turbulant air the body as much as the sim gets chucked arond and when leaning only gently on the Yoke, this motion gets passed into the human system as fingertip
pressure and hence a similar (but i feel) more realistic sensation.
Great progress on your machine. well done
Our #1 is about to go up to the main hanger for a new 'Flight Sim' display area and work proceeds on the 1940's Link ANT-18 (Vacuum driven) with the tub now fully prep'ed and ready for spraying in original Blue
I am hoping the new FS area will generate interest and hence money for the Gat1. maybe next year we can get the #2 machine out of storage and put FSX in it.
Idea is to have the story of FS in the display area with Vacuum (WW2), the GAT1 with analogue computer( 1960's) and another 'modified' GAT1 with digital computer (FSX - 2010)
ATR72 build project

727737Nut

I have most of the gauges working now using servo's ,pot's, and SIOC.  Loads of fun flying this.  Motion coming soon. :)
737 Junkie

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate