Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 11:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
349 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 349
Total: 349

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Another 'Brissy Boy' cockpit builder

Started by tennyson, January 14, 2012, 08:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennyson

Been plodding away for a while and lurking on this forum for a little while, too.

Thanx to you guys, I've picked up a ton of info and good advice. Jack's a legend, but I guess most people know that.

Anyway, a few pics of my build so far.

It's a first generation IBL MIP from FDS, mounted on pine frame.

Still populating the MIP and my glare shield will be coming real soon.

After fitting my screens, I built the CDU bay and fitted two first gen MCDU's to it and a 10.4" lower EICAS screen (thanx to you guys).

Software was a no brainer. Peter Cos from FDS sold me Sim A and I've been trying to get it set-up for a few days, with the help of their fantastic support.

It's really great software, but you need to read a lot and take your time setting things up properly.

Anyway, I've got a few pics I took tonight after getting some of the avionics up and running.
One of my 4 32" screens is in the background.

Will take a few more snaps as the project moves along,

Frank Cooper

jackpilot

Nice words for the forum Frank...its all about sharing a passion for flight!
real good set up. Glad you are happy with SimA as I will switch soon.
Jack

Jack

tennyson

That's probably a good move, Jack.

I had a copy of PM and 12 computers to run it, but in a small room like I have, that really isn't an option.

I still have the 12 computers, but I scrapped the idea of PM, built three supercomputers and Sim A.
Yesterday, I accepted the fact that sharing the avionics was a better deal, so I've increased that number to 4, with an Avionics1 PC running my Cpt PFD, ND, EICAS and secondary instruments and the FO's PFD and ND.
My Avionics2 PC will handle the lower EICAS and the two MCDU's.

That's it, 4 PC's what a dream set-up.

Frank

tennyson

Ok, back from the west for a while and I been busy again.

I bought some gauges for my MIP (Flap, Brake pressure and yaw Damper, plus I/O card) from Opencockpits. I don't know why they are not the most popular sellers in the flight sim world. They have great gear, unbelieveably cheap prices and they had it here from italy (or whereever they are) in 3 days.
That is fantastic service.

Anyhow, I've already fitted the yaw damper gauge and the brake pressure gauge. I still have the flap gauge to go, but it looks to be a bit of a challenge, so it may take a few hours to accomplish.

Ok, so I have another slight problem. I bought an undercarriage handle from a reputable dealer, but the engineering is crap.
The finger hold (which had not been engineered properly), kept pulling out when you used the handle.

Rather than demolishing my entire MIP and waiting for a replacement, I did a little re-engineering myself. I bought a replacement piece of aluminium tubing, cut it to size.

I then made a notch in the finger hold, which will allow it to sit within the tube and prevent it from pulling out. Then I cut the slot in the aluminium tube, as per the original, but 5mm shorter.
Now the finger hold fits snugly in the tube and does not come out when you pull on the finger hold.
I also cleaned up the tracks where the handle pin glides in and re-greased it all with dry lube.

It works like a bought one now and has been re-installed in the MIP.

I'll be sending on the fix to the manufacturers of the undercarriage handle for their perusal!

Frank

Nat Crea

Have you hooked up the IBL yet Frank?
Gives you goose bumps at night... :)

Nat

tennyson

Not yet, Nat.
I'm waiting on a IBL card and my two AFDS units from Peter, and then I'm going to hook up all my wiring in one go.

I've been so busy running back and forth from WA at the moment and trying to keep my head in the game, here.

How's it going at your end?

Frank

Nat Crea

WA...thats a hike!

Im good mate....trying to sort the TQ thing for you....

Nat

riche543

Glad you fixed the trigger on LG lever frank. I hear that all LG levers now will have a pin though the tube & trigger to stop this from happening
Cheers
Riche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tennyson

I'm frankly a bit surprised and dismayed to hear that, Riche.

The lg slide that houses the trigger has not been engineered properly. There is no need for a pin.
If it had been engineered according to the simple fix that I did, it would have been impossible to break.

I'm only talking about one manufacturer, as I do not know if the others have the same problem.

It was an expensive item, in my opinion, and was shabbily made. I will not be buying any further products from them.

It would be nice if I could name and shame them, but I guess it's not wise on a national forum. It would be simple enough for the manufacturer to work out it's their product, so they just may take the hint and do something about it,

Frank

Aerosim Solutions

Hey Frank,
If you are visiting W.A. a lot why not come and see me at "Aerosim Solutions"? No dodgy gear levers here haha!
I'm 15km north of the city in Ballajura and you are welcome! My B737 rebuild is well advanced and my single seat 'fighter' sim is alive and well.

Cheers Gwyn
Aerosim Solutions
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

tennyson

Thanx Gwyn,
I've often thought about messaging you and asking the same.

Next time I'm coming over, I'll give you a hoi. I'd love to check out your set-up and pick up a few ideas,

Regards,

Frank

jackpilot

Just thinking...
Two guys from Down Under, Thousands of Kms from here, setting up a meeting through a North American site.... ::) Internet!
Great!
:D

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate