Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 03:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
511 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 570
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 511
Total: 511

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FEX,REX,GEX,UTX,FTX,ASE Arghhhhh!!!!!

Started by Maurice, January 30, 2012, 03:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

I feel like shooting myself. Maybe I should forget about all of the above and concentrate on XXX stuff but I'm too old for that unfortunately.  :)

After many spirited deliberations & arguments with myself, I finally decided to re-build my FSX PC to try & resolve some intermittent FSX crashes. So after reloading Windows 7 & FSX, I'm now in the process of re-loading some or all the above packages which I had bought over the years.

Not wanting to end up with the same FSX problems I had originally, I started looking for opinions on the web about what is best, what can be used together, what to load first, what not to load etc.., and this is why I now want to shoot myself.

Basically, for every opinion out there, someone else has a different opinion which is really not something very surprising at all. So, this is really looking like a crap shoot and I think I am going to load only 3 add-ons in this order UTX, then GEX then ASE 2012. If all looks good, then I may add FTX for the Pacific North West which also looks very good.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone in this forum has had a very positive or negative experience with any of these products. I made a backup image of my system with only Windows 7 & bare FSX so I don't have to start over totally from scratch if I don't like the results or if I really screw up something.

Also, many of these products allow you to customize & create your own textures, clouds or whatever. I don't want to spend time customizing anything...I just want something nice right out of the box.

I'm trying to find the 'sweet spot' with as few add-ons as possible since I do believe that I had loaded way too much crap on my original installation and that's why I had these occasional FSX crashes.

Anyway, ideas/opinions anyone?

Thanks,

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Hello Maurice,

I use all of the above with the exception of FEX which I have but use REX instead.   If you have REX I would choose that over FEX.   i have all of the Orbx scenery installed also.  I don't run ASE on the FSX computer.  I run ASE on a separate computer that runs Simconnect.  This separate computer also has SB for Vatsim as well as the Pilot Edge version.

On the FSX system I also run Ultimate Traffic 2

No crashes.

scott

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on January 30, 2012, 04:41:30 PM
Hello Maurice,

I run ASE on a separate computer that runs Simconnect.  This separate computer also has SB for Vatsim as well as the Pilot Edge version.

On the FSX system I also run Ultimate Traffic 2

No crashes.

scott

Thanks Scott. Good idea about running ASE on a separate PC. I did not do that last time as I found the instructions a bit daunting at first glance since I never played with Sim connect. Do you think I can use an old slow PC for that or does it need more horsepower?

Thanks,

Maurice

XOrionFE

Quote from: maurice on January 30, 2012, 04:49:14 PM

Thanks Scott. Good idea about running ASE on a separate PC. I did not do that last time as I found the instructions a bit daunting at first glance since I never played with Sim connect. Do you think I can use an old slow PC for that or does it need more horsepower?

Thanks,

Maurice

An older PC works finefor this purpose.  I use an older AMD single core X64 processor at 2ghz with 4 gig of ram and an 8800 gt video card running Windows XP for this purpose.  In addition to ASE and SB I also use it to run my lower MFD. 

Simconnect is kind of a pain to setup but as long as you follow the instructions that come with ASE you should be ok.  I am happy to help if you get stuck.  a side benefit to doing this is that if you also have a sound card in this PC you can use that sound card to run your headsets and mics for SB separately from the main FSX sounds and speakers which is really a nice touch. 

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on January 31, 2012, 03:36:19 AM

Simconnect is kind of a pain to setup but as long as you follow the instructions that come with ASE you should be ok.  I am happy to help if you get stuck.  a side benefit to doing this is that if you also have a sound card in this PC you can use that sound card to run your headsets and mics for SB separately from the main FSX sounds and speakers which is really a nice touch. 

Scott

Well Scott, I took your advice & installed ASE in a separate PC. It was a pain to configure Simconnect but the ASE instructions were actually quite complete and everything worked OK. 

I will also be using the sound card on that PC as you suggested so the simconnect installation will serve more than one purpose.

Thanks for the tips,

Maurice

XOrionFE

Awesome

Btw, how far are you from FDS?  I would love to check out your sim when I come up if it is close enough.

Scott

Jetcos

Maurice is way up in the boonies!  But they have running water. :D

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on February 11, 2012, 08:45:50 AM
Awesome

Btw, how far are you from FDS?  I would love to check out your sim when I come up if it is close enough.

Scott

Actually, I'm not really way up in the boonies like Steve said, only half way up :). I'm  roughly 130 kms North of FDS give or take a few (in Gravenhurst to be precise). No need to worry about polar bears but black bears have been spotted now & then.

Black flies should be dead by then (maybe) so no worries and we do have town water  :)

Maurice

jackpilot

Jack

Trevor Hale

Quote from: Jetcos on February 11, 2012, 12:38:01 PM
Maurice is way up in the boonies!  But they have running water. :D

If Mau is way up in the boonies, where the hell would I be?  LOL  The North Pole? ha ha

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: jackpilot on February 14, 2012, 06:20:27 AM
We did'nt dare to say it... :P

Speak for yourself. I've been telling him that for a long, long time.

Maurice

Trevor Hale

This is me out for a morning walk!  LOL 
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?