Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 11:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
52 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Warning about Apple TV

Started by Maurice, October 07, 2012, 04:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

For a long time now, I have valiantly resisted becoming a victim of technology. So I still have a regular old fashioned cell phone for emergencies only and I don't have a Facebook account nor do I use Tweeter.

Unfortunately, I made an exception & finally bought an IPad since I can also use it in the cockpit. But then, a friend of mine introduced me to Apple TV and although I was able to resist it for several months, I finally broke down and bought one 5 months ago. But it stayed in the box until this past weekend when I finally mustered the courage to deal with it.

Which brings me to my warning. I think I spent 20 hours this weekend watching YouTube videos on my 52" TV. I had no idea how additive YouTube was until I watched videos on a big screen, especially aviation related videos. That is of course not the only thing you can do with Apple TV but I think YouTube with Apple TV is potentially the most damaging time waster (but I love it) :)

So beware, stay away from it if you ever want to finish building your flight deck or do something else useful with your free time. :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Jetcos

Make sure your internet package allows that much bandwidth...

I can imagine your post next month when the bill comes in.   >:(

I upped mine and not paying any extra now.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Maurice

Quote from: Jetcos on October 07, 2012, 04:16:20 PM
Make sure your internet package allows that much bandwidth...

I can imagine your post next month when the bill comes in.   >:(

I upped mine and not paying any extra now.

Very good point. I do have a higher limit than the basic package but I will check. This might be just what I need to control my new addiction :)

Maurice

Maurice

I just checked my Internet usage and I still have 6.3 GB left with 6 days to go this month. So I can still watch a few more videos :)

Thanks for the warning though. I'm sure I would have gone over my limit next month if you hadn't said anything and I just hate giving more to Ma Bell  ;D

Maurice

Mink

I fully understand your problem  ;)
Since we have a new smart tv, youtube is nr.1 program.
Wife is looking hours of horsemanship training clips etc. ::)
Myself aviation clips. ;D

Kresimir

Maurice

Quote from: Mink on October 07, 2012, 09:23:48 PM
I fully understand your problem  ;)
Since we have a new smart tv, youtube is nr.1 program.
Wife is looking hours of horsemanship training clips etc. ::)
Myself aviation clips. ;D

Kresimir

You see...that's how ignorant about new technology I have become (thankfully). I didn't even know about smart TVs, assuming they are even available in Canada.  :)

Maurice

rprather

My own addiction has been a competing product of the Apple TV... the WD TV Live box by Western Digital. From what I can ascertain, it can do everything Apple TV can do (YouTube, HULU, Netflicks, Facebook, etc.) plus one MAJOR advantage... you can plug a 3TB hard drive into it and stream movies, photos and music from it. I have colleagues with more than 700 full length movies and thousands of MP3s on theirs. Just finished watching Avatar in BluRay quality on it (17 GB!)... amazing!

WD TV Live movie interface (Displaying movies from attached storage or NAS)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

I think it's cheaper too ($99 US). I swear by this little black box!

Sean

That's all well and good if you can be bothered to sit and rip 700 movies, etc. I just pop in a blue ray. The quality is awesome there too.  ;)

The Apple TV can do this too, either streaming from iTunes, or better still, from a NAS device if jailbroken.

vidarf

Hi, my name is Vidar and I am an Apple addict! :D

First got my iPod. Then another iPod (touch). Then the iPad (first gen., need to save up for the new iPad soon). Then the iMac. Then the AppleTV. And recently the iPhone (4s, not 5. I still have some pieces of my spine left).

But I love it! Everything is seamlessly integrated, cross-synced and works VERY smooth (except for the aging iPad which has become somewhat slower).

However, the techno fest stops at installing a facebook app on my Samsung d8005 smart TV (I did that to test it, but removed it)! I _do_ have a life! :D

And very soon Netflix is launched here in Norway! One small step closer to TV on demand!

you guys still have limits on your DSL lines? That's just stupid! I can run my 4 mbit ADSL line at 100% N1 24/7. Eagerly waiting for a fibre optic line in order to get 100 mbit+!

That being said, Norway (and the rest of the Nordic countries) are amongst the most "up-to-date" consumer groups in electronics. Which is very good for me, since I work in an electronic store as a department manager for brown goods (TV, radios, etc.). :)

Sean

Unlimited here in the UK too. Just waiting for my local exchange to go fibre tho. The speed over copper just cant hack it these days! :-\

rhysb

Same Sean, unlimited BT cut can't wait for fibre optic.

I too am an Apple TV sinner, well actually more of an apple addict like Vidar the fact that apple products have taken over my house!

I have to say I find it strange that 90% of live tv shows I now don't watch live but on Apple TV later on!!
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

goof2092

hhhmm, some of us cannot even dream of having that speed any where near a house!!  4Mbps is the internet line capacity for a large Organisation around here and would set you back some $10,000.00 per month.

We are happy with 128k for home use. The mobile phone carriers 3G networks are more cost effective and faster even though they are sold in caped data bundles. Over here, you guys would have withdrawal symptoms ;) Apple TV would be like watching a slide show interspaced with movie clips.
mac bookpro, 4GB RAM, 2.4GHz Core i5, Mac OSX 10.6.8.
x-plane 10.25, sioc, uipcx, flywithLua, Teensyduino

vidarf

WILL TRADE BANDWIDTH FOR SIMULATOR PARTS! :D

Maurice

My limit here is 25 gb but I could have another 25 for $5 a month, 50 for $10 etc... But there is no way I even want more as this would only make it easier to spend more time watching TV. As it is, I'm already enough of a couch potato  :)

Maurice

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate