Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
578 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 585
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 578
Total: 578

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Had a chance to see XOrionFE's setup.....

Started by jskibo, December 10, 2012, 05:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

Amazing bit of work Scott has done.  Not only his 737 sim, but his GA sim as well.  I only had a short time to play as I was catching a flight to Philly (Go Navy, beat Army), but I was really impressed.  Xplane 64 is smooth and fast on his system.  Thanks Scott!
Less than 4 years to retirement......

XOrionFE

Thanks John,

It was great having you over.    And I am so happy Navy won!!

Anyway, after you left and over the weekend I did a lot more testing of X-Plane 10 64 bit versus FSX w GEX, UTX, REX, ASE, and Orbx and I can unequivacally state now once and for all that X-Plane blows FSX out of the water on the projection system.   I dont know if I would say the same on LCDs as it seems that for whatever reason (and I am not sure of technically why) when you look at X-Plane on the projected 1620x1080 screens every detail is pretty sharp and looks great but FSX even though running at the same 1620x1080 resolution per screen and even when running great scenery like Orbx or Aerosoft....it just looks blurrier and more washed out.  Dont know how to explain but basically when I look at XPlane then turn around and fly FSX, FSX looks like absolute crap.   This is in a projected environment mind you.   When I look at FSX on LCDs it is a tough call.  I would almost say FSX is better.     I dont know if that means FSX is rendering finer detail that gets killed by the crappy contrast of a projector?  I dont know.   All I do know is that for my sim it is X-Plane all the way.    Not to mention it is much easier to setup, maintain, and I have not had a single crash yet....

Oh, and night time is no contest....period....

Thanks again for coming by John. 

If any other (SERIOUS) builder wants to come by to see how X-Plane 10 runs in a 210 degree projected environment versus FSX....my door is always open.....just give me a shout.

Scott

Maurice

What are your settings in FSX.cfg? Are you still at the default 1024 or is it 4096? I am talking about TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096.  Even if you set it to 4096, it often changes back to 1024 and there is a small program that sets it back to whatever you want every time you start FSX.

This could possibly explain why there is such a big difference between the FSX & XP resolutions.

Anyway, just a wild guess,

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Quote from: Maurice on December 10, 2012, 03:07:54 PM
What are your settings in FSX.cfg? Are you still at the default 1024 or is it 4096? I am talking about TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096.  Even if you set it to 4096, it often changes back to 1024 and there is a small program that sets it back to whatever you want every time you start FSX.

This could possibly explain why there is such a big difference between the FSX & XP resolutions.

Maurice

You were right Maurice, they were back at 1024 for whatever reason.  Thank you!   I switched back to 4096.   Didnt have time to test yet but I will retest and compare results.

Thank you again,
Scott

727737Nut

Quote from: XOrionFE on December 10, 2012, 07:46:04 PM
Quote from: Maurice on December 10, 2012, 03:07:54 PM

Maurice

You were right Maurice, they were back at 1024 for whatever reason.  Thank you!   I switched back to 4096.   Didnt have time to test yet but I will retest and compare results.

Thank you again,
Scott

It makes a HUGE difference Scott.   Whenever you make an adjustment in FSX,it reverts back to the 1024 Texture size.  I notice it everytime I forget to change it as the textures look blurry. 
Rob
737 Junkie

jonesthesoftware

Another thing to consider is that FSX bitmaps were drawn in 1280x1024 (FS is quite old and high res monitors weren't easily or cheaply available then) so even though your projector/monitor is higher resolution the bitmaps are still crappy especially when blown up by projecting a large image.
regards
geoff
Building a 767 cockpit

XOrionFE

well I got up early and tested FSX with the textures at 4096 and Maurice was right....everything looked much much better and closer to clearity of x-plane if not just as good.

Then FSX crashed.......

jskibo

Quote from: XOrionFE on December 11, 2012, 07:10:10 AM
well I got up early and tested FSX with the textures at 4096 and Maurice was right....everything looked much much better and closer to clearity of x-plane if not just as good.

Then FSX crashed.......

OOps.....

Well I have P3D running on my non 737 system now and its been "on" idling at KMKG for 8 days now no crashes yet.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Maurice

Quote from: 727737Nut on December 11, 2012, 03:49:47 AM

It makes a HUGE difference Scott.   Whenever you make an adjustment in FSX,it reverts back to the 1024 Texture size.  I notice it everytime I forget to change it as the textures look blurry. 
Rob

There is a small program available which will restore the texture setting automatically every time you start fsx to whatever value you choose. I tried it and it works fine. You can still find the file here: http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/viewfile/1926.html

Maurice

HarryZ

There is a small program available which will restore the texture setting automatically every time you start fsx to whatever value you choose. I tried it and it works fine. You can still find the file here: http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/viewfile/1926.html

Maurice
[/quote]

Hi Maurice,

I downloaded the file from this site and got a warning it contained the TROJAN.WIN32.MAL.GENTA101

Did anyone else get this warning?

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Maurice

Quote from: HarryZ on December 11, 2012, 05:51:38 PM

Hi Maurice,

I downloaded the file from this site and got a warning it contained the TROJAN.WIN32.MAL.GENTA101

Did anyone else get this warning?

Harry

Strange! I'm not sure where I downloaded this file so it could have been from another site and I got no warning. Try & do a search for texture max load editor and see if you can download it from another site.

Maurice

blueskydriver

Win32.Mal anything you need to avoid! That's what crashed my computer 2 times in 2 weeks...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

HarryZ

QuoteStrange! I'm not sure where I downloaded this file so it could have been from another site and I got no warning. Try & do a search for texture max load editor and see if you can download it from another site.

Maurice

Stopzilla found and removed the trojan and I tried downloading the file from other sites but without success.

I have a shortcut on my desktop to edit the fsx.cfg so I'll stick with that for now. I always check it prior to flying to ensure the max text load sits at 4096.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

fdspcos

Quote from: XOrionFE on December 11, 2012, 07:10:10 AM

Then FSX crashed.......

LOL.. you kill me :)
Peter

sluyt050

Hi Scott,

Since your success with X-plane 64 bit, you will no longer investigate in the flat screen projection option I suppose. I just started building a 3 x 90" flat screen projection setup at the moment.

BTW, concerning unwanted resetting of TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 1024, I wrote a program 'FSX MyConfig' that restores your preferred configuration automatically. You can obtain the program from: http://home.kpn.nl/nowisgold/fsxmyconfig/
Edward

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate