Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
352 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 352
Total: 352

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Multi Core, Multi Processor Server for X-Plane 10?

Started by Suhail, February 12, 2013, 12:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suhail

I've been trying to figure out the best way to set up my systems for X-Plane 10. I have a server rack that I want to use to run my computer(s) for X-Plane 10 but need some input.

Has anyone used a multi-core multi-processor Xeon Server to host X-Plane 10? According to their website, it is recommended specs for the best experience but I'd like to know if any of you have done it. What was your experience like with it?

Since I began going down this road anyway, I wanted to start off keeping everything as neat as possible, while making it easily accessible. A server rack was the best option but I don't like the sloppyness of a desktop being in the rack, thus the idea of putting an actual rack-mount server. Of course, I'd be sure to put in a decent video card or cards.

Thanks

-Suhail
Boeing 737-800 or 777 (not sure yet)
X-Plane 10 on a slow Pentium 4 PC with crappy NVIDIA GeForce 210 Graphics :(

Bob Reed

I have not done this and the problem I see is getting a server that will accept a modern, high end video card. Video is usually not high on the priority list for a server.

Boeing Skunk Works

On the newer IBM Xeon equipped dual-core processor servers you can get up to six PCIe 3.0 expansion slots. Up to four optional PCI-X slot are available.

Don't know if you have a rack ful of IBM's or not though. If I had to buy servers, those are the ones I would buy. I love IBM products. I wish they were still in the consumer end of the business.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jskibo

Server Motherboard in a ATX type case, maybe.

Rack mounted 1U, 2U or 4U case, not a chance to fit a video card worth using in there.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Suhail

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on February 12, 2013, 04:52:38 AM
On the newer IBM Xeon equipped dual-core processor servers you can get up to six PCIe 3.0 expansion slots. Up to four optional PCI-X slot are available.

Don't know if you have a rack ful of IBM's or not though. If I had to buy servers, those are the ones I would buy. I love IBM products. I wish they were still in the consumer end of the business.

Right now, I do have IBM servers but they are too old for this. Max ram I can currently put is 4GB and that is on dual P3 processors. If I was to go the server route, IBM would likely be my choice but I have to find a good enough system that can handle the video cards. Any suggestions?

Bob, I don't understand why a modern server wouldn't be able to handle an upscale video card. I'd assume the hardware would be powerful enough. Can you shed some light into this please?

Thanks guys for the advice!

Suhail

jskibo

Suhail,

Unless something changed recently, rack mount type servers don't have space to support full size video cards let alone 2 slot cards. 

Next is the power supply, while sturdy, mine weren't 750w ones with large amp 12v rails.

Then there is the dual, or quad PCIe power supply connectors for the video cards.  Don't see those on server power supplies

Now if you're just taking a sever motherboard, mounting it in an ATX case, using a standard PS and hoping the MB has multiple PCIe 16x lanes to support your cards the. You should be fine.

Suhail

John,

Good points. Looks like I'll have to try something else. I'll do some more research and see what I can find. Thanks everyone for your input.

Boeing Skunk Works

I've never seen the inside of a rack mount server but wouldn't you think that there would be a daughter card mounted 90° to the mother board and have the video cards mounted horizontally instead of vertically?

I can't see how you could mount any card vertically in those slim cases.

I have a four unit tall tape machine here and it would appear to have plenty of room for high end video cards if configured correctly.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Suhail

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on February 13, 2013, 02:58:58 AM
I've never seen the inside of a rack mount server but wouldn't you think that there would be a daughter card mounted 90° to the mother board and have the video cards mounted horizontally instead of vertically?

I can't see how you could mount any card vertically in those slim cases.

I have a four unit tall tape machine here and it would appear to have plenty of room for high end video cards if configured correctly.
On a 4U machine, cards could be mounted horizontally instead of vertically, giving ample space for a video card. The blade servers (slimmer ones) definitely can't hold a high end video card unless they have that daughter card you speak of. I have an older 4U machine that has nearly 10 slots for vertical mounted cards. There is plenty of space for them.

But I think John was talking about not just physical capacity of a server, but also the motherboard or other system limitations to having a high end video card. I've used servers plenty, but never for gaming.

jskibo

Yes, once you find a daughter card, and I'm guessing that it may be difficult to get a PCIe daughter card given servers aren'tdesigned with high end video in mind, you're still at the mercy of finding a motherboard with a PCIe 3.0 16x lane, or multiple if you want multiple cards.  Then comes the power supply issue, wattage to support the card, amperage on the 12v rail and the proper connectors as you'll need two PCIe six or eight pin connector per card.

Bob Reed

Quote from: Suhail on February 12, 2013, 12:30:42 PM
Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on February 12, 2013, 04:52:38 AM

Right now, I do have IBM servers but they are too old for this. Max ram I can currently put is 4GB and that is on dual P3 processors. If I was to go the server route, IBM would likely be my choice but I have to find a good enough system that can handle the video cards. Any suggestions?

Bob, I don't understand why a modern server wouldn't be able to handle an upscale video card. I'd assume the hardware would be powerful enough. Can you shed some light into this please?

Thanks guys for the advice!

Suhail

SuHail, servers do not care about video, at least most do not. The video is usually built into the mother board. They are built for pure stability and have lots of redundancy. As stated they do not have power supplies to deal with the power consumption of a modern video card or the room.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate