Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
357 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 357
Total: 357

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Sim Avionics or Pro Sim?

Started by milezee, May 15, 2013, 10:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milezee

I'm a new cockpit builder.
I've got a OC MCP + EFIS and a OC mastercard + USB.
I've just started cutting a MIP with MDF for my first desktop cockpit. I'm ordering some captain side OC panels. I plan to expand to as big as my girlfriend will allow.
I'm a big x-plane fan but settle for PMDG 737 on my laptop with TrackIR when I get the time (I've got a 10 month old baby, shes gonna be a pilot one day).
Hey, I just recently managed the cold + dark start up!

I downloaded the Sim-A demo and thought it was amazing but soon got frustrated with it as I struggled to get my H/W working. I'm not un-technical by any means. I get the whole SIOC thing but struggle jumping through the FSUIPC hoop.

Then I tried Pro Sim and got my hardware working in 30 minutes. (well not all of it, I'm still working out how to get the rotary encoders working). But I found it much easier to use.

Question: pros and cons of Sim-A vs Prosim.
Cost is a good starting point, Prosim seems to win on that one.

X-plane support is kind of important, maybe not immediately but in the future when I get to build my 5 screen visuals ;-)

I'm also keeping a keen eye on prepar3d.

General thoughts and directions appreciated.

fsaviator

Welcome!  Where to start...  well, you seem all over the place.  Before you decide on the software, you will need to determine what you want to do first.

Consider yourself lucky that you get the SIOC thing...  that is the first step.

Your first step is to determine your simulator software.  It makes a difference.  You mention five screen visuals.  As it currently stands, if you want that, X-Plane is out unless you also want five computers to run your visuals.

Sim-A has been around a while and has great support through FDS.  It is also compatible with X-Plane.

ProSim only does FSX at this time.  Support for Prosim is via a forum, but is usually very good.

Hope that helps you narrow down your decisions.  Once you have the basics selected, search the forum.  You will find everything you need here.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

milezee

Yes, Hi! Thanks for your reply.
I'm aware of x-plane's needs of a  PC per screen. I'm planning ahead. I currently have 2 high spec PCs with GF570's, I'm an old school PC tech so platforms are not so much of an issue, I tend to accumulate the hardware.

I'm considering starting out with FSX with Pro Sim then transitioning to x-plane in time (or even on Prepar3d depending on how it develops, v2 coming soon).

Budget constraints are an issue, hence the start off with OC hardware. I'd love to splash out on FDS hardware but thats not going to happen, even over time.

milezee

I'm also keeping an eye on Benedikt's x737, although its been a long time in coming his next major version could change the field.

ohsirus

Prosim works in FS9,FSX,P3D and Xplane is in Beta.

milezee

Quote from: ohsirus on May 15, 2013, 12:10:35 PM
Prosim works in FS9,FSX,P3D and Xplane is in Beta.

I noticed the inclusion of the x-plane plugin with pro sim. I've not tried it yet, and sadly they've not compiled a 64 bit version yet. (I'm going to bug them about that)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate