Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
565 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 585
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 565
Total: 565

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A Flight Deck is born...

Started by sagrada737, May 30, 2013, 05:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

HI Folks,

Well... it has been about 5 months since I got the crazy idea of building a full-scale 737NG flight simulator.  I decided to go forward full steam after seeing Scott's fantastic Sim Project.  If you haven't seen Scott's sim -it's a work of art!  It has been an interesting ride since that time, but I think my build strategy for my Sim Project has paid off, as I now have the basic workings of a 737NG Flight Deck that allow me to fly.  I am also at a point from which I can build from to hopefully complete a more refined flight deck later this year - which was my goal for this Sim Project.

Before I continue, I must acknowledge the help that Scott has provided up-front and along the way on this project.  I could not have turned the corner on this project Scott without your help - thanks Scott!.  Also, Dennis who helped me with so much 737 system information and links that served to help get my direction oriented with a concept of what I wanted my Sim Project to be.  Thanks Dennis!  I also have received a lot of significant help and nice fellowship from others to include Maurice, Fred, David, and others on this Forum.  Thanks again Maurice for the hands-on concerning VNAV procedures.  I can't thank you guys enough! 

Also, I would like to thank the support team at FDS for providing concise, timely, targeted support on the products that they sell.  I would not be up and running so quickly without their help - thanks Steve and Peter and the team at FDS!

After seeing the overall complexity of Scott's project, my strategy for my Sim Project was to fast-track the MIP, so I purchased the FDS Dual Seat Trainer MIP package.  This made a huge difference in getting a functional 737NG platform up and running with FSX and Sim-Avionics.  I am using two computers for my Sim Project - one high-end 4.7GHz Win7 PC for the FSX computer; and a more standard PC for the Sim-Avionics Suite for the 737NG flight model.

The FSX computer uses the NVIIA GTX 680 video that drives three 70" LED monitors in Surround mode.  This is a very easy and clean setup that looks and performs very nicely.  Down the road, I may play around with a projection display, but for now, this is what I am using with no regrets.  The Sim-AVionics computer is driving seven monitors to support the 737NG flight model.  As others have pointed out, the complexity in building a full-scale simulator can be a bit daunting, and thus far, I can say that is an understatement :-)  However, no pain - no gain!  So, the difficulties so far have not been without reward as I think I have made good progress on most of the initial parts of the learning curve.  Things like getting familiar with FSUIPC and critical configuration settings for all the software modules has been a BIG challenge - not to mention digressing into things like Phidgets, and learning a bit of SIOC - it can all make your head spin!

I have acquired a great deal of respect for those who are building up their own flight deck hardware.  Guys like James, Scott, Fred, David, Maurice, Dennis, and companies like FDS... the list goes on, are the fathers of this hobby that have paved the way for us newbies to enjoy the SIM Experience in ways that didn't exist a couple of decades ago.  Thanks for your contribution to this hobby. 

As I have a strong desire to design and build things from scratch, I thought for a micro-second, that I might commit to the challenge of making a Sim from the ground up.  But at the age of 65, I thought better of trying to tackle ever aspect of building my own SIM.  Fortunately...  FDS to the rescue!  The opportunity to buy Sim solutions from various vendors is a big help for Sim builders these days.  After deep consideration, for my money, FDS seemed to have the best combination of quality, reliability, availability and price, which is the reason that I have chosen to use mostly FDS systems and components for my Sim Project.

The major FDS systems in my Sim Project are:  Fully completed MIP package, JetMax TQ, FDS Radio setup, and FDS Nose Section, and FDS Overhead kits.  Things that I will build myself are the Control Yokes and Rudder system (have real 737 Yokes and Rudder Pedals).  I also have Weber Seats and a 737 Pedestal.  I will build up my flight deck Base and make my own interior parts, J-rails, etc.

Eventually, I would like to make my own motorized 737NG TQ, but that is way down the road for next year's consideration.  However, I have to tell you, that the Jet Max TQ is a fine piece of engineering that replicates the 737NG TQ nicely. Yes...   It's built lightweight, but it performs great and is a wonderful solution for anyone that wants to fast-track a basic TQ.  Nice work on this TQ solution FDS!

I also feel the challenge of the learning curve associated with gaining knowledge of the 737NG flight deck and related cockpit management procedures.  To a large degree, this understanding is necessary in order to debug Sim systems, not to mention having some fun flying the Sim.  As examples, getting basic handles on systems like the MCP an FMC operations is still an ongoing challenge.  In any case, I'm looking forward to learning all these 737NG systems that are critical to a good Sim experience and a quality Sim Project.

I thought I would share with you a couple of short videos showing my Sim Project in its current form.  These videos are really fundamental and not intended to impress you with my flying knowledge of the 737NG.  Understand that I am totally new to the 737NG platform and new to sims as well.   However, I can't tell you how much fun this project has been (albeit frustrating sometimes).  Thus far, it has truly been a joy to be able to fly this 737NG simulator in my home and share the experience with friends.  As you might appreciate, most folks that have never seen a full-scale simulator are blown away by the shear dynamics of the visual experience.

As a side note, both my wife and I have built and flown high-performance experimental aircraft.  But this Sim Project has introduced a whole new arena to our interest in flying.  That said, I hope you don't laugh too  much as you see me trying to explain the 737NG flight deck on this short flight from KBUR to KOXR.  I know I have lots to learn...  But that's the fun of life - leaning new things!   I hope you enjoy the videos...

Keep your airspeed up!
Mike

Review of Sim Project, take-off from KBUR to KORX
MVI 0492

AutoLand ILS25 at KOXR
MVI 0493
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Bob Reed

Just from the 2 video stills (at work will watch the videos when I get home) looks like you have a nice start. Keep up the good work and we LOVE pictures!!!

MLeavy737

Nice videos Mike!

Looks like you could pass a 737 type ride soon :)

One question actually.  Its looks like your landing at about 300kts! Do you have the zoom out or something.  Seems way too fast for some reason visually.
Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

sagrada737

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I don't know about qualifications for a check ride  :)  but I'm having fun learning new things with this Sim Project.

As far as the display speed....   It showed up on the PFD as 146 knots.   But now that you mention it, it does look quite fast in the video.  I wish I had a comparison to gauge by - perhaps a landing someone else has done in another video. 

As far as I know, there is no special configuration setting in FSX that could change this, but I may be wrong.  I'm using Sim-Avionics and it seems to be syncing correctly.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

MLeavy737

Mike,
  Its not Avionics related, I'm just talking about the outside visuals.. I'm pretty sure there is a zoom setting and if your zoomed out a bit the ground goes by faster..  Not sure exactly but that's my guess..

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

XOrionFE

Looks great Mike!    I agree though that something isnt right with the speed.   looks way too fast to me also.   I am wondering if the sim speed is not correct?

Scott

sagrada737

I compared some other videos showing landings...  You are right that the speed shows up too fast.  Never noticed that before (thought I was flying an F-16).  I'll have to dig in and find out what could be causing this.  Sim-A is configured for the correct aircraft, and the CDU shows a Normal Sim Speed.  Must be something else.

Any ideas what to look for?

Mike

Bob Reed

Quote from: sagrada737 on May 30, 2013, 01:28:20 PM
I compared some other videos showing landings...  You are right that the speed shows up too fast.  Never noticed that before (thought I was flying an F-16).  I'll have to dig in and find out what could be causing this.  Sim-A is configured for the correct aircraft, and the CDU shows a Normal Sim Speed.  Must be something else.

Any ideas what to look for?

Mike

Must have something to do with the your zoom setting in FS.

Kennair

Hi Mike, great pit and great flying, nice explanation.

Are you using one stretched view or 3 undocked?  It looks as though you are stretching a single view across the 3 monitors along with too high a zoom setting.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

sagrada737

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the kind comments.  I know I have a long way to go regarding 737 procedures, and hope to improve soon.

Regarding the outside display...   

I am using one stretched view (NVIDIA Surround).  I don't have any experience with setting the "zoom" in FSX.  But you are probably right that that is the problem.

Can you give me some tips on how to change the zoom settings?  I wonder how one knows what they should be?  Thanks.

Mike

Maurice

Congratulations Mike! You must have set a record for the fastest system setup even with pre-built assemblies. Very nice job also on the butting of the TV screens using your method to somewhat hide the bezels.

Well done!

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Kennair

Mike, use the + & - keys to zoom in and out.  As for the ideal setting, if you have "WideviewAspect" set as True in your fsx.cfg file the zoom setting will look better if set to about 0.7 but if it's set to False it is about 1.3 (I think).  Play with it to get the right feel.  Remember that with one stretched view you will only get a max of around 135 degree field of view and the far left and right edges will always speed up i.e. rate of movement looks too fast.  You will also notice objects become stretched when moving through the far edges, hence the need to use 3 views, its the only way to get true FOV greater than 130.

I would highly recommend using the 3 undocked view method most commonly used to display on 3 screens.  This gives you the correct perspective and zoom settings and therefore resolves any speed issues at the far edges of your screens.  Take a look at the recent thread regarding 3 windows vs 4 windows.  Flying Fox has the complete details for your FLT file to get you up and running.  You'll notice the difference straight away however it will tax your FSX PC much more.

Good luck,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

sagrada737

Thank for the guidance Ken.  Playing around with the Zoom does make a difference.  But as you suggested, there may be a better way with 3 separate views.  I will give this a try at some point soon.

Mike

sagrada737

Thank you Maurice for the kudos - I greatly appreciate the encouragement.  From a systems integration standpoint, this is one of the more interesting projects I have tackled over the years.  I know that I have a long way to go on this Sim Project, but it is comforting to know that my Sim Project is at a reasonable  "operational level" that yields a balance between sim flying and construction.   The advice found here on the forum, and other contacts, has been extremely helpful, in addition to the fact that FDS has made it fairly easy to fast-track a Sim build.  One couldn't ask for more.

Thanks again for your inspiration and encouragement.

I did finally sort out the "zoom factor" for my stretched view using NVIDIA Surround.  My next step is to review your white paper on setting up a 3-window display configuration.  No doubt that will be another challenge, and probably lead to a few more computers - something my wife will love to hear :-)

Also, glad to hear that your Sim system is back in the air - everything has a season for renewal.

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate