Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
352 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 352
Total: 352

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New Curved Screen

Started by brianwilliamson, August 18, 2013, 03:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianwilliamson

Finally finished the curved screen. I used an aluminium frame, the same as Matthew Shiel used for his 747, which is light and easily moved. The radius is 2.3M with a slight straightening on both sides and I used fourex to cover the frame ( foamed PVC ). The 3 pieces are bolted together, which also helps in moving or storage etc., if ever needed..........hope not !
The next move is to install the 3 new projectors and get back to flying again.
Cheers.............Brian W.
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim
plus 3 control computers.

Aerosim Solutions

Fantastic set up Brian and pretty much what I am planning for my new BenQ MW811ST projectors. I have decided to go with Warpalizer for the software and would be interested to follow your set up progress, I still have about 6 months to go until I get to the screen.

I will be arriving at YBBN on the 27th of December for about 10 days, would really like to catch up with you if possible. We will probably go down to the Gold Coast for a day or two!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

B737NG

Great job Brian!  Is that a kit or did you fabricate it yourself?

Thanks, Steve
Steve Wekarchuk
'B737NG'

jskibo

Less than 4 years to retirement......

brianwilliamson

Thanks. The screen I designed and cut it out and it is all pop riveted together.
Gwyn, would look forward to seeing you when you get to the Gold Coast, as far as I know we should be here over the xmas holidays. Also have the Benq 811 ST projectors and have   Immersive Display Lite 2
Cheers...............Brian W.                                                 
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim

Nat Crea

Nice clean frame Brian.
How did you roll/bend the the horizontal sections?

Nat

brianwilliamson

Gooday Nat, that was the hard part ! I had to find a good workshop that had a rolling machine that could do 25 x 3 mm. square aly tubing. Luckily found a fellow here at Nerang that could do it. All I did was give him a template of the curve for one frame.
Cheers............Brian

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: brianwilliamson on August 19, 2013, 11:39:40 AM
Thanks. The screen I designed and cut it out and it is all pop riveted together.
Gwyn, would look forward to seeing you when you get to the Gold Coast, as far as I know we should be here over the xmas holidays. Also have the Benq 811 ST projectors and have   Immersive Display Lite 2
Cheers...............Brian W.                                                 

Great stuff, I am very keen to follow your progress especially how you go with the Immersive Display Lite 2, I haven't actually bought any software yet although I have been offered a good deal on the Warpalizer for some cross promotion through Aerosim.
Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

brianwilliamson

Gooday Gwyn, I will keep you posted on the  Immersive Display Lite 2 as I have had it for some time now, but as yet have not tried it. The best part so far is the price, but as I have read, most seem to think it does the job ok. I notice they do have a Pro one out as well, so will be keen to see the differences.
Cheers..................Brian W.

Aerosim Solutions

Hi Brian, I have been researching the warping software in depth for quite a while and IDL-2 is certainly the best price. I saw it running at a sim centre at Archerfield airport owned by one of my customers last November and it certainly is impressive. It is quite a good thing I guess to be spoiled for choice when there are about half a dozen warping options out there but the thing that makes me lean towards Warpalizer is the ease of set up. My mate Kennair suggested I watch this set up video - Warpalizer setup instruction This is only a 2 channel, (2 projector) set up but it applies for three as well. Ivar Hestnes is a reseller I think, he has a good PDF tutorial here - http://www.flightdeck737.be/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Visual-system-tutorial.pdf I think this tutorial would be useful for any warping software, a lot of good info. Staying tuned and looking forward to seeing your progress!
Cheers Gwyn

Nat Crea

Thanks Brian. Looks great mate.

@Gwyn...which Sim center was that? Simjet at Archerfield airport?

Nat

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: melnato on August 19, 2013, 06:53:24 PM
Thanks Brian. Looks great mate.

@Gwyn...which Sim center was that? Simjet at Archerfield airport?

Nat
Hi Nat, It's at a flight school called "FlightOne". The sim itself is like the bottom half of a GA plane not a jet, it works quite well. I had some trouble standing up straight when I was filming it, or maybe that was the bourbon! My customer is instructor Russell G. who is an ex CASA simulator inspector and certifier!!

Cheers Gwyn

Aerosim Solutions

Something that might help Brian, 220 degrees should be achievable!!

[smg id=958]

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-MW811ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Cheers Gwyn

brianwilliamson

Thanks Gwyn, yep 220 is what I have planned on and with that radius I will have no problems fitting the short throw projectors in, hopefully. Just about to go and check the mounts out and also check the projector placement, then the fun begins !
Will post some results when I get it all running ok.
Cheers..............Brian W.

Andrew 737

Quote from: brianwilliamson on August 18, 2013, 03:36:47 PM
Finally finished the curved screen. I used an aluminium frame, the same as Matthew Shiel used for his 747, which is light and easily moved. The radius is 2.3M with a slight straightening on both sides and I used fourex to cover the frame ( foamed PVC ). The 3 pieces are bolted together, which also helps in moving or storage etc., if ever needed..........hope not !
The next move is to install the 3 new projectors and get back to flying again.
Cheers.............Brian W.

Hi Brian

Please can I ask which type of Forex you used?

I have found 'Forex Classic' which is I Quote:

FOREX classic
is an expanded rigid plastic sheet with a particularly fine and homogenous cell structure and silky matt surfaces

Surfaces
FOREX° has a very fine and homogenous cell structure, which is the reason for its extremely flat and smooth surfaces. FOREX° has been designed to provide the user with perfect surfaces for a variety of applications. This is why ALCAN COMPOSITES offers different types of sheet materials.

I just wanted to make sure this was the correct type of thing - I appreciate your advice

Kind Regards

Andrew
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

brianwilliamson

Gooday Andrew, sounds like you have the right one. Just to be sure, here is the site that I got mine from: http://www.allstarplastics.com.au/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=74&cat=Foamed+PVC

It took me quite awhile to find the product here, so good luck with it.

Cheers................Brian W.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate