Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 09:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
520 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 570
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 521
Total: 521

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FSX Wideview vs X-Plane Las Vegas scenery comparison videos

Started by XOrionFE, September 24, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Here are a collection of videos I posted over past couple days the first couple using FSX with Wideview, FSGRW,REx,FTX,Prosim avionics, and featuring my Flightdecksolutions Cockpit.  the last three are in X-plane 10 Global, Sim-Avionics avionics, native terrain, native networked views, native weather, and LAS payware scenery from x-plane.org.

I hope you enjoy the comparisons....

Scott

737 Cockpit FSX Wideview in Vegas

737 Cockpit FSX Wideview Vegas pt2

737 Cockpit X-plane Las Vegas

737 Cockpit X-plane Las Vegas Pt. 2

737 Cockpit X-Plane Las Vegas pt 3

Nat Crea

Great videos Scott.

I hope you're not inciting a FSX v XP war LOL :D

I think XP environmental lighting is better, but FSX 's overall terrain realism wins.

Nat

XOrionFE

It is a tough call and why I thought it nice to sit back and look at the video comparisons a few times.   I personally think the terrain is superior in X-Plane even with FTX loaded in FSX but the buildings and cityscape is better in FSX.   After watching these over and over and having visited Vegas more than a dozen times I think the XP version looking across the desert, mountains, as you mention Nat the lighting, sky, all give me more of a sense of reality than does FSX.   FSX looks like a cartoon.  Of course my personal opinion.

The other thing to remember is that to get FSX to look the way it does in these videos I am using a lot of payware including GEX, FTX Global, REX, Ultimate Traffic, FSGRW, FSUIPC, Wideview and Aerosofts Vegas scenery.   This costs quite a bit and had to be installed on all 5 computers which took a ton of time. 

By comparison, the X-plane system consists of XP10 Global and one scenery addon for vegas for $24. 

I could start with 5 fresh computers and have the X-Plane system setup and running across all 5 like this in about an hour or two tops.  FSX took more like 2 or three full days of installing and tweaking to look like this...maybe even longer...I spent a ton of hours is all I know.  So given all that and for me personally looking back upon the videos above X-Plane is still my hands down choice for a platform.  I am really surprised more commercial operators arent choosing X-Plane for the shear ease of setup out of the box and the great stability it has.   Not to mention the superior real world flight dynamics (uh oh..another debate)...

So again, boils down to personal preference but my hope is that sharing these comparison videos and a few insights gives folks that are thinking of trying X-Plane for a home cockpit setup a good comparison of what to expect.    I would love to do a video on the setup itself but might take an hour of viewing time to walk through it all.

One other thing to note here is my use of Sim-Avionics on X-Plane and Prosim on FSX.   If running X-Plane it is important to note that Prosim will NOT work with it right now period.   They may eventually support it but it does not appear to be a priority of theirs.    On the other hand, Sim-Avionics used with XPUIPC and the x737 flight model works very well and Mark at Sim-Avionics has spent a lot of time working X-Plane support into his product and it gets better with every release.   I will also mention that James Price and Matt Ford in the background have done a lot of pioneering of it as well and without their input and support and Torstens work on XPUIPC this wouldnt be possible so a big thank you to all of them.   

NOTE - I am not affiliated with any of the vendors and my opinions are mine alone.   Just trying to get information that is useful out to my fellow friends and builders.

Scott

Nat Crea

Hey Scott

I know what you mean about XP's terrain in general, there are alot of nice things about it,
but I find it repetitive,( the whole world looks the same) and their mix of autogen medium/high rise buildings can look weird in some cities and suburbs.
On the other hand my Center FSX computer has been crashing all night and Im about to smash it  :(

Id say there almost say its a photo-finish between the two.

Nat

fordgt40

Sorry Scott, but for Europe FSX wins hands down against XP. Shame, as I much prefer the XP lighting and flight model, but their scenery for Europe is just unrealistic

David

rhysb

Quote from: fordgt40 on September 25, 2013, 06:59:25 AM
Sorry Scott, but for Europe FSX wins hands down against XP. Shame, as I much prefer the XP lighting and flight model, but their scenery for Europe is just unrealistic

David

David,

Couldn't disagree with you more ;)  have you used simheaven.com? Everything on there is free and once installed its awesome. Free photo scenery for all of Europe including a HD terrain mesh superior to the standard mesh for xplane. Also they update the European OSM data monthly so you get literally millions of buildings all the correct roads completely up to date. Finally they have a Europe plugin which changes the American looking buildings, road signs etc into more European looking ones.

Happy to show you some video's but will do that in a new thread as don't want to hijack this one.

Scott, great videos thanks for this.

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

fordgt40

sluyt050

Thank you very much Scott for your nice video's, although I am not in the same position as you. I will stick to ProSim and consequently to FSX. I am now awaiting Prepar3D 2.0 and have the feeling, from what I've red so far that this could become a leap forward in performance, stability and quality. If so, I will most likely switch to P3D next year. Have to buy 4 licenses probably  :(.
Edward

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate