Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
575 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 575
Total: 575

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Project Status - FDS Overhead Completed...

Started by sagrada737, October 20, 2013, 03:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Folks,

I thought I would share some status on my 737-800 Sim Project, and my experience building up the FDS Fwd Overhead Kit.

I started my Sim Project at the beginning of this year.  At this point, I am fairly comfortable with my FDS MIP operation using FSX and Sim-Avionics.  Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of my current setup, and have had a chance to fly this Sim quite a bit, which now includes flying PilotEdge and many of the Routes for the upcoming CBWF event in a couple of weeks.

One major milestone was completing the assembly and testing of my FDS Forward Overhead Kit a couple of weeks ago.  I have done a lot of electronic assembly over the decades, and I have to report that this FDS Overhead Kit was a pleasure to build.  All the components were well organized and the assembly instructions were complete.  Although there are a lot of wires to deal with, assembly went smoothly and I was able to test things along the way. 

Testing was made easy by the FDS provided XML files, which made this a truly "plug & play" setup when it came time to test each module function on the Overhead, which is interfaced to an FDS SYS1 card using interfaceIT under USB control.  This interface approach by FDS is truly innovative and simple to use, making it easy to assign/modify Offsets as needed. 

I also installed Ander's Start Switches using an FDS Relay card to control the functions within Sim-Avionics - works great as others have commented.

In addition, I purchased the FDS ELECT-CAB option, which shows the digital displays for electrical status and pressurization info.  This really made the Overhead look complete and it works as advertised.

I should also mention that the FDS IBL dimming function works great, with very even light distribution to each Panel on the Overhead.

Here are a few photos showing the MIP and the Overhead with classic "all lights ON" view:

I'm in the process of working on flying Routes and 737 procedures for CBWF, but after that, I will start building my Flight Deck Base, and finishing up my Yoke.Control Columns assembly - then on goes the FDS Nose Section.  This will no doubt keep me busy for the coming months.

Anyway, that's where I am with my Sim Project.  Thank a million to everyone on the Forum that has helped and been patient with my newbie questions.  Also, a big thanks to FDS for all the detailed support when I really needed it. 

No project of this magnitude is without difficulty, but I am fairly pleased with the progress thus far.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train  ;D

Best Regards,
Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

ETomlin

I envy your wiring prowess! Great job there, it's inspiring.

I wanted to ask- How do you like the "3-monitor 70" HD LED Displays nvidia GTX680" visuals? This is what I'm likely to do. It appears that you have a foil on the bezels. Has that worked as well as you thought? What about in the dark? Does it reflect other lights bad or work as well as in daytime (the foil, if that's what you have).

Thanks,
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

sagrada737

Hi Eric,

Yep, the Overhead was great fun, and best of all - it works nicely!  It will be even better once it is installed in my FDS Nose Section.

Regarding my 3-monitor setup...   This has been one of the blessings of this Sim project, because LCD monitors are simple, easy to install and do a great job of visually representing the scenery with FSX and its add-ons.   Vizio now has an 80" LCD monitor that is priced right.  If I had to do this again, I would buy the 80" instead of the 70" version for a 3-monitor setup.

The "foil bezels" do not work in darkened environments, and they appear as a black vertical bar - light the black TV bezels.  However, if setup correctly, the mirrored effect of these bezels help to "blend" the hue of he surrounding scenery as it transitions across the screens.  This sort of treatment and so-called improvement on the bezels is very subjective.  Since it is just paper foil, it is easy to try.  If you don't like the effect, simply remove it.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

archen

Looks really good Mike! Well done!

What kind of wire did you use?

/Anders
------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

sagrada737

Hello Anders,

Your wonderful Start Switches are takin' a lickin' and still tickin'  ;D  The Start Switches are a nice addition to the Overhead for my Sim Project.  Thanks again for a great design, and making them available to the rest of us.

In answer to your question...  I used 22 gauge stranded hook-up wire to continue the existing wires included with the FDS Overhead Kit.  The wire was what I had in my shop.  Of course, this added assembly time due to additional connections that needed to be made, plus shrink-wrapping each one.  But it didn't take that much longer, and the electrons don't seem to mind  :) 

I suppose it would have been a "cleaner" job if I had purchased a crimping tool and made each wire one continuous link from the SYS1 card to the indicators/switches.  But, it worked out OK for what it needs to do to accomplish the Overhead functions.

The nice thing about the Overhead is that each indicator/switch function sources low current directly from the SYS1 card.  The exception being the IBL Panel Dimming requirement, which requires a minimum of 10 amps @ +5 vdc for the Forward Overhead, and about 4 amps for the AFT Overhead.  In my case, I am using a +5 vdc 20 amp switching power supply, which will provide adequate current for both the Forward and Aft Overhead (when I get it).  The wire from this power supply to the Overhead will need to be a heavier gauge in order to handle the higher current requirement.

The FDS Dimming modules are very compact (nice design) and fit nicely in the upper part of the Forward Overhead.   It is useful to note that the FDS Overhead will require two (2) of these Dimming modules to properly distribute connections to both the Forward and Aft Overhead Panel connections.

Mike

ETomlin

Thanks Mike

I agree on all points regarding the simplicity which is a major reason for going that route, but I also like all the other pros too (resolution, contrast, etc.). I would love to see some more photos of it from angles that show off the 3 screens if you get a chance one day.

Great job!
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

sluyt050

Thanks very much Mike for sharing your work. The OVH panel looks very neat and the wiring well organized. I also ordered for FDS OVH panels, SYS 1X & 3X cards, ELEC-CAB unit and their MIP, Nose Section and linings set. I had the idea that the pre-wired SYS card connectors would offer sufficient wire length but apparently that's not the case. So I will have to take the same route as you did. The AWG 22 stranded wire I already have in house will do the job.
For the OVH panels IBL I have in mind to use 2 pairs of 4mm2 flexible wire running from my 5V 20A PSU to limit the voltage loss in the order of 3-5%. Very handy link is: http://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/?p=75/.

As you know I already finished my yoke system. Needles to say if you need additional info, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Edward

sagrada737

Hello Edward,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I had fun building up the FDS Overhead.  If you are planning to build the FDS kit, I think you be pleased with the end result.

The "wire calculator" is a nice tool.  The last thing you need is a melt-down in your Sim, so selecting the correct wire gauge is important to ensure minimal voltage drop and fire safety.   Since I am locating my +5 volt 20 amp power supply down on my flight deck base, I will use 12 gauge wire up to the Overheads.  The good news is that  the typical setting of the IBL adjustment is less than 50% to obtain a nice panel display, hence the total current draw will be somewhat reasonable.  It's at maximum brightness where you need to ensure adequate current capacity.

Thanks for the offer of help on the Yoke system.  I may have a few questions for you as I get into my Yoke project in a few weeks.

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate