Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 11:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
366 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 366
Total: 367

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Potential FSX killing Virus with GSX updates...

Started by sagrada737, November 30, 2013, 06:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

It happens sometimes that something will come into the picture and bring FSX to its knees.  That just happened to me and now FSX in my Sim is totally dead.  I mention this as an alert to the Forum, as this happened just after an update for GSX from FSDreamTeam.  After this update, everything went downhill from there, and FSX is totally non-functional.  I am now in the process of determining how I can get FSX running correctly.

FYI - This happened when I responded to a message that came up when starting up FSX.  It was the typical "update message" that FSDreamTeam gives to let you update their software within FSX.  I am using some of their Airport Scenery and GSX (Ground Services Extreme).  This particular update was for GSX.  I had done this before with many of their updates, with no problems encountered with FSX.  My Sim had been working fairly nicely - especially with ActiveSky.

In this particular update for GSX, the update got hung up and didn't complete correctly, as it needed to go to FSDT's web site for update data.  I figured it was an Internet issue...  So I started FSX again and it "seemed" to update and finish properly - or so I thought.   I did a flight from KDEN to KLAX.  The flight was going great with no problems until I was about to land at LAX.  I noticed that the airport scenery was corrupted with most of the airport environment missing.  I knew something was wrong, but I landed and taxi to the gate, and shut down. 

Then...  I rebooted the computers.  The next time I started up FSX, it looked like it is initializing (first screen), but then fails and goes back to the Desktop.  Doesn't even show up in the Task Manager.  Seems to be resetting itself.  After multiple attempts to start FSX I begin to get a bit concerned.   I do some malware and virus checks, only to find that two serious viruses have gotten into my FSX computer and FSX application.   I delete them, and reboot the computers (FSX computer and Sim-A computer - of which only the FSX computer is having this problem).  All the other apps are working fine, but FSX has been corrupted in some way.  I then did current back ups of critical data/drivers/FSUIPC4, etc to another HD and JumpDrive to be safe.

I uninstalled all of the FSDreamTeam software, and that did not help.

I then did a System Restore to a point early in the week before the update, but it did not work either and the FSX problem remained.  I then did a DVD install of FSX to do a "Repair" of the installation, which it completed successfully.  It did not work either.  As you can see...   The picture is looking rather gloomy, and becoming one of diminishing returns - my options now seem rather limited  :(

I mention these things to you for a couple of reasons:

1.  A wounded Simmer lies on the FSX battle field...  ;D  I'm somewhat dead in the water and it will take me some time to re-assess the FSX computer, check out all the hardware and software, then go through the process of setting things up again from scratch.  This may involve completely reformatting the SSDs that I have - essentially recreating a new and fresh computer.  If I have to go that route, I will set this system up in a RAID hard disk configuration.  I did this with the Sim-A computer, but I can't remember why I did not do it for the FSX computer.

2.  Be on your guard for any FSDreamTeam updates, as it possible that their site has been hacked, with a specific virus targeting FSX.  This is only speculation, but all this happened to my FSX application immediately after the update.

Wish me well, as many of you know what a hassle it is to re-setup a computer for FSX.    I know I will be able to get things back working again, but I'm not looking forward to the disruption and the large amount of time it will require.   If there are any constructive suggestions, I am open to help.  Thanks.

Such is the day in the life of having a Sim Project.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Maurice

Well Mike, now would be a good time to try P3d v2 if you are starting from scratch. If it does not work out, it would be simple enough to uninstall it and re-install FSX.

I talked about my p3d issues in another thread but these problems may likely be related to my current hardware. I still think p3d will soon be the best viable replacement for FSX after they iron out a few issues.

Be brave Mike. It will only hurt until you get used to it  ;D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

Hi Mike,

I had that happen to me a year or so ago on the FSX computer and it was the GSX update itself. Although, I cannot remember what I did to fix it, but I believe some .dll files got deleted, and I either reinstalled those or did a complete refresh. I will check my old notes as I write everything down...

As for your reinstall, if needed, you're talking about a RAID setup, is that for mirroring the drives to prevent this type of stuff from happening? I used to do RAID setups in striping mode on two drives, which means faster access (read/write) speeds, but after a drive failed it was pointless. Then, I switched to mirroring; although, that does not prevent corruptions to both drives.

Do you know what those virus files were...the names? Sometimes, if you know the names you can search the antivirus programs website(s) to read about what the virus/trojan/malware is attacking or corrupting, and then fix it that way.

As for GSX causing it, I am thinking it is more than likely GSX itself. Wait a second, a thought just came too me...if I remember right, I just reinstalled GSX and it all worked like before. Also, I found this for you.

Read this:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9341.msg74387.html#msg74387

There was an error recently to do with or on the GSX addon manager.

John

Ps. Were you making backups of your FSX PC's drives?
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Bob Reed

Hi Mike. Have you tried to delete the default flight?

sluyt050

Hi Mike,

I use Acronis True  Image Home on all of my 6 PC's. A partition restore would almost for sure have solved the problem.
Furthermore, on every startup I use HitmanPro to detect possible rootkits and malware. I use no virus scanner but no surfing either on my flight computers.

BTW, I'am going to deinstall GSX anyway. No network and WideView support. I understood this as a low priority.

Good luck with your restoration!

Edward

Jon Boe

B737 MAX.  FDS DSDT.  205 degree U Screen, 3-projector system with P3D V4.5.  Sim-Avionics software.

markfire

One solution to get up and running would be to reinstall FSX to another location on the drive. This then overwrites the system files in windows and replaces missing ones. Then copy over the FSX (new one) to the old one (original) this time when windows asks to overwrite the files choose no and any missing  files should be replaced.

For the sake of half an hour if may get you back up and running without having to reinstall everything!

Good luck.

sagrada737

Thanks guys for all the feedback, as it has helped with a recovery strategy.  Since no one fix typically solves the problem, in all that I have tried, FSX still was corrupted.  I decided to byte the bullet and uninstall FSX and all of FSDreamTeam, and  start over with a reasonably clean install of FSX.

Even this was not as easy as it sounds, as there were some glitches in the first go-around.  Long story short, after a second install of FSX I was up-and-running - albeit with a basic FSX setup.  I then had to re-install FSUIPC4, but even that was not without problems as it did not recognize my serial numbers from the previous .ini   Anyway...   I finally got FSUIPC 4 installed correctly, then set about working out the FSX/JoyStick conflicts so my JetMax TQ would function.  Fortunately, the saved FSUIPC4.ini did reload correctly with serial number recognition and all the settings for my TQ worked correctly.

At that point, I felt brave enough to fire up my Sim-A computer to see if it would be recognized.  Fortunately it did, and I am now in the process of flying a test flight from KLAX to KSFO.  Seems to be working as before, with the exception that some of the AddOns are not installed, and all my scenery is yet to be re-installed.   Re-installing the scenery and Radios should not be too difficult - just time consuming.

Right now, I have the GTX680 doing a single 5670 x 1080 screen and FSX is filling the space nicely.  However the proper viewpoints are not exactly set correctly and that will need to be addressed.  I need to get back to the original Window Views previously setup, and re-configured those settings.   I may have some difficulty with the Window View, but fortunately, I saved a txt file with all those settings.  Now I just need to remember where they go...

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback and encouragement.  One's heart sinks a bit when something like this happens, and it feels good that my beloved Sim has a new heartbeat - although it is still in Intensive Care  ;D

I will certainly deeply consider a new configuration/recovery plan for my FSX computer in the very near future.  Something like the Acronis True Image setup mentioned might be a good idea.

Best Regards,
Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

markfire

Glad you are up and running again, albeit slowly!

I too use acronis and it works easy and backs up the whole partition quickly. Restores quickly too.

We'll worth a look.

iwik

Mike,
Sorry to hear of all your drama. Nice to see you are up again and ready to go. A good simmer
is never beaten.
True Acronis is a great Backup program. Use it all the time, both Western Digital and Seagate
provide it free. Win 7 has one to but personally don't like it.
Good luck with the rebuild.
John(Blueskydriver) reminded us about backing up emails to preserve keys, which I had not
done, so his prompt and your difficulties made me do so.

Blueskydriver: Thanks

Regards
Les

rhysb

The main issue I have found with FSdreamteam stuff is the file that runs it all, if you install a new bit of scenery or GSX and you have already installed scenery items running an older version for some reason FSX doesn't like it!!

If you search in the add/remove programs area it's in there so remove it and start again, that has always sorted the issue out for me.

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate