Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
539 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 546
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 539
Total: 539

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Building a projection screen

Started by Aerosim Solutions, November 24, 2014, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerosim Solutions

Hi all,
Here's a few pics of my projection screen frame that I have just built for my sim. It is made from rectangular hollow section steel 50mm x 25mm x 2mm. I had the curved sections rolled by a local company and the radius is 2.25m. The vertical frames are in two pieces and there is a join at the centre pillar. The structure is self supporting and gable piece is added just as a support for the three rails that will support my BenQMW811ST  projectors. I managed to get hold of a single piece of 0.6mm aluminium sheet which is 2.5m x 9m, this came from a bus building company and it already has white primer on one side which is a bonus. This sheet will attach to the frame with a building adhesive for a seamless projection surface. More pics when it all comes together.
[smg id=1102]
[smg id=1103]
[smg id=1104]

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

sagrada737

You are amazing Gwyn!   Everything you do is with perfection!

Your efforts on this projection screen project look impressive.  Nice score on the sheet metal screen material - looks like it fell into your lap.

I'm intrigued by the screen's shape...   You have a consistent radius, then a flat section.   Can the blending software smooth this out, or do you expect there be some distortion? 

Also, have you considered the new Optoma 1080 HD short throw projectors?

Best wishes on your project.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Aerosim Solutions

Thanks Mike, much appreciated!
According to my calculations most of the straight sections which are only a metre long will be behind the aft side windows in peripheral view . The warping software should still be able to smooth it there.
I scored my projectors brand new at a great bargain price from MickC and I'm using one of them at the moment on a temporary flat screen. I was considering switching to HD projectors (which is what Mick did after selling them to me), but these BenQs are so crisp I don't think I really need to spend another 2K on HD units, I'll see how they go first. Our jumbo sim has 3 Optoma 1080 HD projectors which are great but I think the standard projectors being not quite as crisp actually enhance the realism. A computer generated image is less obvious if you like! Our Worldflight team are very happy with the display from the BenQ units and we all agreed that they are fine so I'll stick with them for now. Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Sam Llorca

Nice piece of work, love it, nice house! Can I move in? Not a bad taste in car either! I need to move to Australia. Lol, just kidding Gwyn, very good on the screen,keep up the good work. Cheers.

Trevor Hale

Nice Job Gwyn,  Ummm one question though!!!  How does it fit under the car port to get to the Shed in the back yard? LOL
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Aerosim Solutions

OMG Trevor I never thought of that, I need to move house LOL!!
The screen is two piece and there is a join in the centre pillar and the gable just bolts on. The clearance in my shed is 2.1m so I made my screen 2.05m, it will be tight but it will fit. I really need to extend the shed by 2m in length so I don't lose too much workshop space. I have a second larger CNC machine coming and I will need to do a lot of reorganzing in there before I start doing Aerosim parts again, plus there is the C172 sim to finish off....it never ends!!
The Subaru is a rocket, so much fun. Leonie is scared of it and won't drive it!!

Rally car sim???
[smg id=1106]

Cheers Gwyn

kingchiro

Gwyn,
Just trawling through the messages and came across this one. Your Projection screen and frame is perfect and just the way I was about to go. I'm in Victoria so prices and availability should be similar.
Any approx costing for the materials and labour ?
Also here we are 5 months later. Any thoughts on the projectors ? Still your Benq's ? I am totally paralyzed in decision making when coming to the projectors. Don't want to bring on the divorce too quickly if I have 3 paper weights to pay for !
Regards
Mark

navymustang

The projection system I have designed for a customer is very similar but uses rolled steel in a tear-down configuration.  It uses a soft screen that is stretched using bungy cords.  The designed was implemented by Northern Flight Sim here in Florida.  That means you could order it from him and have it trucked shipped to your location.
I am using a single video card driving 4 BenQ short throw projectors at 1920x1080 resolution.  The entire display (screen and projectors) was less than $6,000.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

blueskydriver

Hi James,

Do you have a website, photos and especially, videos of you sim projection setup?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: kingchiro on March 22, 2015, 03:57:40 AM
Gwyn,
Just trawling through the messages and came across this one. Your Projection screen and frame is perfect and just the way I was about to go. I'm in Victoria so prices and availability should be similar.
Any approx costing for the materials and labour ?
Also here we are 5 months later. Any thoughts on the projectors ? Still your Benq's ? I am totally paralyzed in decision making when coming to the projectors. Don't want to bring on the divorce too quickly if I have 3 paper weights to pay for !
Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,
The steelwork was supplied and rolled by a local company and it cost about AUD$400. The welding and painting in etch primer took a long day! The screen material I bought is 1.2mm thick aluminium sheet 2.4m x 9m. I bought this from a bus & truck body builder for $800, this means the screen won't have any joins in it. Materials all up was about AUD$1500. Here in Perth we have a sim owner Leo who produces an aluminium frame projection screen that utilizes a stretched vinyl sign material, I could put you in touch with Leo if you like, it's a very smart structure and much light than my steel frame. Leo is a member here. Cheers Gwyn

kingchiro

Gwyn,
thanks for the reply. I am waiting on a quote on your frame and 6mm sheeting. Problem is no matter where I ask the width now only comes in 1.2m width rolls.
Not much choice either 2 lengths of 1.2 m horizontally giving a combined height of 2.4 m,   (which is still in the ball park ) or multiple vertical 1.2 m wide sheets. Back to one horizontal  line between the sheets or multiple vertical lines.
Anyway will hopefully have the quote tomorrow so at least you have given me a ball park figure.
Will let you know about contacting Leo if I need another option.
Will be in touch again.
Thanks for the reply.
Mark   

kingchiro

James,

BenQ seems to be the common projector. I am leaning towards three BenQ 1080ST 's.
or 1085ST.
Anyone have any better suggestions within reason ?
I am looking at the prices of going Gwyn's direction for the screen but your version is an option. Unfortunately postage to Australia is in the realms of fantasy land if anything is sizeable.
Thanks for the suggestion.....and yes some pictures would be helpful
Mark

B747-400

Great job, Gwyn!
Looking forward to see the progress!
BR Hans
Hans G. Schuetz
http://B747-400.net

navymustang

Three pictures taken a month ago on the progress with the 220 x 40 FOV screen.
Note - the wood framing is a temporary structure to hold the projector platform at the same height as the customer's ceiling.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate