Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 12:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
557 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 557
Total: 557

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Connecting ground from multiple powersupplies

Started by kurt-olsson, December 27, 2016, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

I know in theory that this should not be a problem but want to check anyway to be safe.

For my sim i will be using 5V,12V and 24V.

5 and 12 comes from the same powersupply.
I will use powerbuses connected to my powersupplies.

I want to connect all the grounds to one "ground-powerbus" from all my supplies.

That way i will have only 4 cables max going into my panels/modules.
For example: 5v,12v,24,ground and usb cable seperatly.

Any problem mixing powersupply grounds to a common powerbus?

Ridgenj

Peter, grounding is the most important step you will take. Try to use sockets that are all in the same circuit and best is to have a ground bar. USB hooked to your PC might be in another grounded circuit and can create a differential between circuits. As you know electricity flows in all directions where it founds a load differential. Not an electrician so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bernard S

kurt-olsson

I think i will try to end up with the same solution as scott.

https://youtu.be/v2Vx_mZJjUo

Nice setup with the powerbusses!

bernard S

i am just.going to add my two cents yet again ... you really need to start giving serious consideration to your wiring ..and ask yourself ...roughly how many wires am i running ..in my case over a couple of thousand and over 20000ft usef so far .. i tell you this because even a couple of hundred wires if not managed from the beginning will come back to bite you so...

how and where am i running wires
how am i going to connect each end
am i going to run wires to point a to point b or some other method
how am i going to identify wires
how am i going to trace a fault
how to i test
do i run to a central point
how do support wites frame or tray

i can not put fwd strongly enough ..... do a patch field even if itd is one level of indirection

RayS

...and for the love of all that is holy and good: Document your wiring.  8)

Ray Sotkiewicz

kurt-olsson

Well, with my OEM stuff, all internal wires are allready in place and i bought DIN contacts that will have 5V,24V and ground cables. I will also mount a usb panel. Thats really it for cables that will be outside my panels.

I really like the powerbusses in scotts video, but i will try to have my power supplies closer since i dont need 24V 400Hz power supply hehe.

I just need a strategic place of my busses...

kurt-olsson

Quote from: RayS on December 30, 2016, 10:36:56 AM
...and for the love of all that is holy and good: Document your wiring.  8)

Yes! I bought tape that i mark evry single cable with. When you are into wiring all seems clear, but then you come back 4weeks later... you understand nothing if there is no documentation. :)

bernard S

grrrr maybe there is accent divide here somewhere ..there are only two ways of doing this ...its either right or its wrong ..my way is right..end of story here  is example of what i am trying to get across to you ... although this a duel supply the principles remain the same ..power cords going to this box still go through patch box .. I have been down this road more than once lol and learned the hard way

XOrionFE

Bernard,
Can you show us more pictures of your WHOLE project?  We get little snippets here and there but I dont think I have ever seen your full build?  Is there another thread I missed?   What are you building and show us more pictures of your 20000ft of wire, etc.

Thanks,
Scott

Trevor Hale

I actually agree with Scott. I would love to see a thread of your entire project. Could you please show us a picture of different angles of your setup.

Personally I would like to see a picture from around the front of your pit. And actually another shot of your Displays. The pic you showed us look almost like a colomated display with the projectors on the top.

Also. Love your posts but "Your way may not always end the only right way" ha ha ha
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Ridgenj

You guys will be amazed to see what he has done with an original 747 cockpit

kurt-olsson

My project will focus of minimizing cables and replace it by software. 20000ft of wire sound alot! I will have 3 cables to each panel around 30cm long each, thats it. My question is about connecting the power supplys, the other part is pretty much covered. :)

RayS

A few other wiring considerations. (Others may agree, others not...)

In this hobby I learned early on a couple of interesting things about wiring:

1. Never run power and data wires in parallel or next to each other.

2. Power and data lines should intersect at roughly 90 degrees if they have to pass next to one another.

3. All power/device grounds should be connected to each other. Floating grounds are the stuff of nightmares.

4. A caveat to #3: If you are running some relatively noisy devices, say... cheap chinese LED dimmers, isolate those mothers onto their own power busses. (Including their own grounds)

5. If you think a 1/4 inch wire retainer/clip is going to be big enough, you will probably be wrong.

6. If you think a 1-inch wire retainer/clip is going to be big enough, you will probably be right.

7. There's not enough beer/wine/vodka in the world that will make wiring mistakes feel any better.

8. Smoke Alarms. Use them. :-)

Ray Sotkiewicz

kurt-olsson

Thanks Ray!

Smoke alarmmis important! :) I will implement also a "kill switch" and for each panel i interface i will do a "full powerup test".

But one thing for sure, the simulator will never run unattended.

I think the strategic placing of supplies/hub will be important also.

Power in will be split in three section, overhead panel, mip and throttle/pedistal. That way each big module will hopefully just have power in cables and one usb to its hub.

Watched videos of your sim Ray, if i would do it all over i might go for a smaller plane, looks like louds of fun!!!

bernard S

there is also alot of wisdom with johhny walker too

kurt-olsson

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate