Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
120 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Are TV's the way?

Started by rhysb, September 17, 2012, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicd

Anybody who decides to build a home cockpit and then attempts it is not rational. Being a freakin nutter is a prerequisite :)

I don't need 270 degrees, I just want it. I do a lot of visual flying in the sim and hand-flying with accuracy is a specialty I work on. Plus, I'm used to looking behind me in real life flying .. judging downwind, base turn etc etc. So in the sim I don't want to look behind me for the threshold and see a black void or a wall. It's an important part of flying immersion for me.

Now.. where did I put that medication ....

Maurice

Let's face it Nick, you started this whole mess (multiple projectors) and you will never be happy until you take it to its logical conclusion, i.e. a full motion CAE type simulator. :) After all, 270 degrees is just not enough, you need to be able to see all way up & down and maybe part of the wing as well :)
But hey, maybe it's just jealousy talking and I just don't want to hear about anyone having something so much better than what I have ;D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

fsaviator

Quote from: Maurice on October 08, 2012, 07:51:19 PM

Then the real question is why do you think you need to have 270 degrees? Do you really need to see what's behind you? But don't answer that question...you've obviously blown your last bit of sanity, so I don't expect to hear a rational explanation  ;D

Maurice

How else can you look back and see if the engines are turning? ;D

Seriously though...  I am in this process right now...  I have spent the weekend working on my visuals so I can get the projectors and screen mounted before I pack the room with the sim.  I forgot how much I forgot about this process
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

blueskydriver

Now, this makes me think...just get another curved screen, 3 more projectors, another TH2Go, and a good FSX computer to run the behind you images. Right now, all I would need is the screen and uh...the room, but that might be possible, if I move out all the computers and racks. Then again, you guys would hate me and Maurice would likely fly down too kill me!!!

Oooohhhh! If only I had the money I would get Scott's projectors since his are the same as mine and that means I'd have 6 matching projectors... Uhhhhhh...okay, my Oxy intake might be a little higher then normal lately, so don't take me serious...uhhhhh, well if I had the money...

Nick, you're right...I am a "freakin nutter" and proud!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

John, you have to stop smoking that stuff you know it's not good for you.... ;)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jskibo

Beginning to think 3 50" or 55" HDTVs might be the way to go for me.  Space wise the projection is just not going to work well. 

I have a smaller version downstairs with three 40" LEDs on a custom mount for driving and GA simulation and I like it.

Might be selling off the PJs I have and start TV shopping
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Jetcos

iPilot B737 in Dubai

3 x 55" Panasonic LED TV's
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

jskibo

Steve that looks awesome!  Such a tease!

How's the feel from the seat?  Pretty good?

Jetcos

Hi John,

It looks good, you have a full view and very crisp.

But having flown our devices with full curved screens (Nat set it up) and proper visuals to flying with 3  (or even 5) TV's it is a tough call.

I seems to be all about space and budget.

Steve Cos

Nat Crea

Steve!

Hopefully I can convince you once and for all in KL!  ;D

Nat

Jetcos

Looking forward to it Nat.

Heading to Brisbane to see a 2 projector set-up for one of our B737's this week. Wondering how that will look? Will try and get pictures and fly it.

2 projectors....hmmmmm

Steve Cos

XOrionFE

Well over the past day or two I have been working hard on my rebuild of my cockpit.    I will post some pictures and a thread about it soon but in light of this thread I have also been playing around with my projectors, FSX/Wideview, and the new X-Plane 10 64 bit which just came out.    I am fortunate to have options and with my current 3 computer visuals setup I have been testing both FSX and X-Plane to try to find the best fit.    I was disappointed to find that my warping software (Fly Elise Immersive Desktop Lite) was not 64 bit compatible and was told by Nikola that I had to purchase the Pro version in order to support 64 bit.   Well, I felt that if I was going to spend the money I would go back to using Nthusim instead as it was always more stable to me with my graphics and so I downloaded demo copies of the standard single projector version for my left and right displays and reloaded my old license of the multi-projector license for my center screen but only using one channel.  The results with X-Plane 10 64 bit were stunning to say the least.   With 64 bit I am able to crank up the rendering higher taking full advantage of my 16 gig of memory in each PC (you can only use 4 gig max in FSX...).

Anyway, I liked it so much I bit the bullet and bought the two extra licenses of Nthusim and setup the initial warping (no edge blending, just butting).   With my projectors running at 1600x1080 each and my rendering settings in X-Plane cranked up I believe I reached my Utopia.   Ease of setup and running of three computers networked, great resolution for my projectors, excellent frame rates, and stability.    I made a couple videos last night flying around but they came out crappy because I was holding the iphone camera while recording and was too close to the windshield.   I then made a quick video flying around Vancouver with the camera mounted.  No fancy procedures and in fact I had no guages running in SIm-A because I am waiting for 64 bit support in XPUIPC but here is the quick video starting with a touch n go at dusk followed by a return to the airport in the dark for another landing.   I will try to make some more videos of the setup time permitting tonight.

http://youtu.be/mR2kdyz3w8Q

Scott

jskibo

Dammit Scott, there you go again setting the bar even higher :)

Looks awesome.  How much work to get the ND/PFD's working again?  Or do you have to wait for XUIPC 64 to be released?

I've been TV shopping.  Torn between sizes still, 55", 60" or 65".  Plyed around with P3D on my triple 40" setup.  Looks good but having problems dialing in the undocked views left and right to match the horizon and angle of the center monitor.  Can almost get the right angle in the camera view setting, but horizon is off a bit.  Tried playing with the eye height in the center to match it up, but ran out of time.

Heck if I switched to Xplane10, which I really like, I would eventually need 5 computers for the 5 TV's, or do something goofy like 1 for the front expanded view across three, then separate PC's for the two sides with one display each.  Don't think that would look right.

Good job once agian!

Flying_Fox

Scott, you did it again! Excellent smoothness.

However, in order not to overcomplicate everything  ;), I will stay with FSX so far until I have my sim "completed" at least by Maurice's standards  ;)  Then I will think.  :angel:

How do you rate XPlane sceneries/visuals at the settings levels that you have achieved - compared to, say,  ORBX sceneries?

Thanks
Nick

Kennair

Another excellent XP10 demo Scott.  I've just started with the 64bit version myself and can confirm the same higher res smoothness.  I've also just purchased 3 x 42" 1080p LCD's for the highest res visuals.  Although not as immersive as wrap around projectors, they'll certainly do me fine and I had to settle for 42" as my sim room isn't capable of holding any bigger.  Unfortunately I don't have 3 PC's to run separate views so will have to make do with a stretched view in XP for the moment.

Would love to know your render settings in XP10-64 also Scott?

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

fsaviator

Very nice Scott.

So...  is that stock XP10 scenery for Vancouver?  I was stunned by the detail, even at night, of the runway, the trees, and the airport off to the right.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

rhysb

God I love the night environment in xplane 10 just wish I could get the scenery I have for FSX!
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

fordgt40

Rhys

Fully agree, I tried X-Plane and loved it but for the ground scenery. So went back to FSX, sadly :)

David

XOrionFE

Thanks guys.   The scenery is not default.  It is part of "Inside Passage" from Scenery4xp.com.   They also make Canadian Rockies and Final Frontier.  I bought all 3 for $54.    They also make a number of larger single airports.   

It is all excellent scenery.    In my opinion Orbx in FSX sets the bar for daytime scenery but some of this in X-Plane  can come close.    I do own a lot of Orbx which I am happy to fly in my GA sim.   What I really like probably the most from X-Plane is nightime flying and airport environments.   I dont feel even Orbx stacks up in this case with the lighting effects that X-Plane has by default.

I think though to be interested in X-Plane you have to set aside some of the scenery in favor of the stability, ease of setup, speed, and newer technology that X-Plane has to offer.  We must hope that over time scenery will catch up and from what I have seen over the past 6 months more is being added all the time.   I am awaiting Northern California from Realscenery to come out an cant wait so I can use it while flying on Pilot Edge.

More videos to come....

Scott

rhysb

Scott,

Your video got me testing the new 64bit version and im really impressed on the new performance. HDR is now perfect as before it did take a huge drain on my system!

I just cant get over how good the night lighting is with HDR on!

Rhys B
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

XOrionFE

Check out some of the scenery at x-aviation.   Good stuff.   

Scott

jskibo

Considering starting with three 60" Panasonic Plasma TVs now

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60U50. They've been as low as $699 lately.

sagrada737

Is anyone using the Toshiba 55L6200U55" thin bezel monitor?  Here is a link to some specs:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_05255L6200/Toshiba-55L6200U.html?tp=35945

At a price point of $1,700 it is not the cheapest monitor solution on the market, but I'm very intrigued by the ultra-thin bezel on this particular monitor.  It seems like it might be a good outside display solution for an FSX TH2G 3-monitor setup.  Any comments on this?

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jskibo

$1429 at amazon, free ship.....

Seems a lot for a thinner bezel though.

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on December 05, 2012, 04:34:04 PM
$1429 at amazon, free ship.....

Seems a lot for a thinner bezel though.

Not thinner but rather no bezel at all. Pretty amazing stuff.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate