Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
113 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 100
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Dad in WWII

Started by jskibo, September 27, 2011, 09:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

A bit off topic and feel free to dump it if not appropraite:

I was sorting through ome of the things my Father had left to me and found quite a bit of his pictures from WWII.  He was a Radioman and Waist Gunner in B-26s in the UK (Great Dunmow) and then France (Beuamont-Sur-Oise).  When his outfit (386th bomb group, 544 bomb squadron) transitioned to A-26's, he left for Italy and B-25's.

I scanned some of the photos and thought I would share since they are Aviation related....

Less than 4 years to retirement......

Bob Reed

Nice! There is a museum here that has a flying B26.. I have not yet had the opportunity to go see it in person. When I do I will grab some pics of it.

jskibo

That's the only flying one left in the world! 

There's a museum in Texas that has the B25 (front one with the girl artwork) in it.  It still lives on.

jskibo

Two more:

"BarFly" in the first picture has a good history.  She made it 175 missions without a loss, then cracked up on takeoff on the 176th (Dad was not in it then).

Bob Reed

Quote from: jskibo on September 27, 2011, 09:48:49 AM
That's the only flying one left in the world! 

There's a museum in Texas that has the B25 (front one with the girl artwork) in it.  It still lives on.

I don't think it is the last flying one, but I will check. There are a lot of flying B25s around all over the world. Well a "lot" is figurative compared to the number that  where built.

jskibo

Oh, thought you meant the B26.  Fantasy of Flight in Florida has the last one.  CAF had one and lost it.  Very few static models left as well since AAF crushed almost all in Arkansas following WWII.  Then renamed the A-26 Invader, B-26 for Korea.

Bob Reed

Quote from: jskibo on September 27, 2011, 10:06:57 AM
Oh, thought you meant the B26.  Fantasy of Flight in Florida has the last one.  CAF had one and lost it.  Very few static models left as well since AAF crushed almost all in Arkansas following WWII.  Then renamed the A-26 Invader, B-26 for Korea.

I am talking about a B-26. Waiting for more details on it. I have asked a couple questions.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate