Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
146 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 157
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 146
Total: 146

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

B737NG OEM build

Started by jeffreyk, March 19, 2018, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffreyk

Hello fellow builders!

A couple of months ago, I introduced my project on this forum. I intended to share my building progress through my Facebook page, but I came to the conclusion that this website would be pointless if everyone only used Facebook instead of this wonderful platform to share amongst builders.

I'm starting my first post with the most recent updates of the  build. If you're interested you could check my Facebook page to see older posts. I'm keeping the Facebook page and will update this topic as the build progresses.

Here you can see a window and pitot heat panel from a 737CL. As I'm trying to create a NG cockpit I need to modify this panel to make it look like a NG panel. The main differences are the different lightplate and only 8 annunciators in stead of the 9 of the pitot heat system.

I decided to completely rewire the unit, since the logic inside the unit makes use of 115VAC/400Hz connected to the probes. Of course I'm not going to use actual probes on my sim so rewiring was done.

Yesterday I picked up a APU EGT indicator, which unfortunately is not visible in the above picture. Anyway is this the current state of my sim build progress.

I'm constantly searching the internet to source parts I require for my overhead panel. And sometimes I stumble across these great opportunities, and although I'm not planning on starting on the MIP anytime soon, parts like the AFDS units as seen above make their way into my private 737 stock haha.

That's it for now. I'm going to find a way to interface my EGT indicator with Prosim, preferably without using a phidgets card (although the most logical choice) but a DIY solution is much more fun :)

If you have any questions or advices, feel free to drop a message over here or on my Facebook.

Greetings,
Jeffrey

https://m.facebook.com/b737ngproject

mickc

Gday mate,

Nice to see you here too as well as Facebook ;)

jeffreyk

Hello Builders,

Yesterday I decided to connect my OEM starter switches I had for quite some time now.
I used Arduino and a homemade PCB with MOSFETS for the solenoid functions.

What I thought would be an easy job turned out a bit different, mostly because I'm not a
software developer and writing a sketch consists using a lot of Google and using bits and pieces
of other projects. As long as I get the desired result that's fine with me :)

The problems or better said, the challenges I found where that when performing measurements on the starter switch I found that it had some interesting switching logic.

A Cole starter switch consists of five microswitches, all being activated by a cam which releases or depresses the lever of the microswitch at certain positions of the starter switch.

Microswitch 1 would only be activated when the switch is placed in GRD position.
Microswitches 2 and 5 would be activated in GRD and CONT position.
Microswitches 3 and 4 are active in FLT position.

Because the GRD position uses microswitches 1, 2 and 5, I used some simple logic code in my sketch to determine whether the switch was in GRD or in CONT. This however didn't work! When switching from OFF to GRD the code would command the switch first to CONT after which it went quickly to GRD.

I found that the problem was caused by the cam not activating the microswitches at the exact same time, which resulted in the Arduino seeing the CONT position for a few milliseconds.

After a lot of trial and error, the Arduino debounce sketch was my savior. I did some fine tuning and now the starter switches are working as a charm.

Now I also have a nice piece of code that I can use for all my switches to prevent multiple commands due to deboucing of switches.

I have included a video where the switches are demonstrated. If you're interested keep and eye on this thread because I'm going to do some more interfacing with the APU/GEN panel soon.

Thanks for reading and if you're having questions or any advice, please let me know :)

Cheers,
Jeffrey

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DXTBsFLVzWY

jeffreyk

Hello everyone!

I spent my Saturday on getting my APU/GEN and window/probe heat panels working.

With success :) uploaded the video to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Kja9vSMkAr8

Greetings,
Jeffrey

jackpilot

Jack

Steenos

That looks better than my opencockpits ugh! Haha nice job.

jeffreyk

Hello everyone,

Received my CL AFT overhead panel. Will be converted to match an NG :)

I used pictures from NG overhead panels to determine the ''correct'' location for the korry's.

The nose gear korry fits nicely!

All four holes have been cut-out. Time to fit the korry's in :)

Greetings,
Jeffrey

jeffreyk

Hello everyone,

Received a Phidgets analog output card as this was the best option vs a DIY solution.

I connected my APU EGT indicator and it works great :)

Here's a video and a picture!

https://youtu.be/Apy9NXGJGSA

Have a nice day ;)
Jeffrey

jeffreyk

So after a time of doing nothing I've bought myself a ISDU and a LE devices panel.

The LE devices panel unfortunately is completely toasted as something on the circuit board makes the output to the LED's 28Vdc. However I'm going to replace a few parts and all LED's and hopefully it's going to be functional again.

The ISDU has been tested and works perfectly. I'm not going to upload anything about that since all credit goes to Cockpitconcept and Mickc who already worked everything out. Mick has videos of the ISDU online.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate