Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 08:41:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
742 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 742
Total: 742

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

m.youtube

Started by blueskydriver, December 02, 2012, 06:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

As many of you know that Apple so wonderfully dropped the youtube app from the ipad, and the only thing to use is the iphone version of youtube. Of course it comes up to small on the ipad screen and ruins the point of youtube on a mobile device.

However, there is hope! It just takes a little extra effort from all of us. Whenever you post a youtube link, you usually post it with something like this (with www dot youtube dot com/whatever; I used the word dot for the actual character to make my point without creating a hyperlink):

737 Home Cockpit Approaching Innsbruck

In this example, the actual hyperlink gets replaced because of the forum site; it normally reads: http//www dot youtube dot com/MiThNYfiwCA (again dot is used for the character)

Anyway, that link above will open the iphone version of the youtube app. If you would also post the same link with a letter m in place of the www, the link will open it via youtube's webpage version of the ipad app. So, the link would be:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MiThNYfiwCA

Give it a try if you have an ipad.

So, to help everyone see your youtube videos in their full glory, would you please make the two different links. You could even put "Ipad users link only" above the one for the ipad...

By the way, both links are for Scott's sim. If you have an ipad, you will see exactly what I mean with this. More importantly, my whole reason to do this is because the first link gets changed due to forum, which means I would not see the actual true hyperlink. Now, that means I cannot copy paste it from the forum over to the ipad to make the change myself. Also, if I just click on the link, the iphone app opens, but even there the true hyperlink does not show up. Oh you can find it, but after going thru 5 steps to get there, and only then can it be copied back over to the ipad. However, I would still have to change it using the m replacing the www...that is way too much to do just to watch a video. Some might say "just don't watch it on the ipad".

Well, I watch a lot of the videos in the sim when cruising at flight level on a long flight (at least an hour or more). Therefore, I'd like to see all the great videos that everyone is posting while in that phase of my flights, so your simple second post with change will help me and everyone else...

Thank you,

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

Thanks John,

I have been using a Youtube app on the Ipad called Jasmine available in the Appstore which I really like.   

Scott

blueskydriver

Scott, I will take a look at Jasmine...thank you for the information.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on December 02, 2012, 06:32:09 PM

Anyway, that link above will open the iphone version of the youtube app. If you would also post the same link with a letter m in place of the www, the link will open it via youtube's webpage version of the ipad app. So, the link would be:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MiThNYfiwCA

Give it a try if you have an ipad

I don't understand what you are saying John. Both links open in the same way for me on the IPAD.  And Scott, with Jasmine, I get the message "Embedding disabled by request  Watch on YouTube. And if I click on YouTube, nothing happens. But other videos open in full screen with Jasmine.

I'm confused  ???

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

Hi Maurice,

I forgot too mention that if you update to Ipad iOS 6 or higher that is when Apple dropped the YouTube App. So, if you're still using an older version it'll still work correctly. However, if you do update, that is when the problem starts...

Which version of the iOS are you currently using right now?

John

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on December 03, 2012, 11:00:27 AM
Hi Maurice,

I forgot too mention that if you update to Ipad iOS 6 or higher that is when Apple dropped the YouTube App. So, if you're still using an older version it'll still work correctly. However, if you do update, that is when the problem starts...

Which version of the iOS are you currently using right now?

John

I'm on version 6 and currently updating to 6.01

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

blueskydriver

Hey Maurice,

I see what is going on now. When Apple updated to 6 they completely removed the YouTube App. Thus, Youtube would not directly link into Safari. So, many people installed the Iphone App including myself; however, Youtube change the way things worked on their end and that is where m.youtube came from.

Anyway, I updated to Ipad version iOS 6.01 first and the top link would still open the Iphone YouTube App. So, I thought to just the delete that to see what happens, and now the top link switches to m.youtube and opens in Safari via YouTube. Thus, both links work the same way.

Therefore, my conclusion is too remove the Iphone YouTube App at this point. Also, just to check, you do not have an YouTube App/icon of any kind right? If you have no YouTube App at all, it will verify my testing and in turn, void this entire thread, since there be no need to do two links...

Thanks for your help,

John

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate