Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 06:52:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
717 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 717
Total: 717

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

The idea of simple but advanced home sim with dual projectors

Started by bejay, September 24, 2013, 01:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bejay

Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I am with flight simulation from the day one, decades ago. 25+ years ago I have build an f-16 cockpit, when we only had C64 available - amazing for that time but I only reached 80 %. I also hold a private pilot licence.  After a break of some years due to family etc I now want to build a biz jet sim based on FSX. I want to follow a straight, as simple as possible but as advanced as needed approach for the right feeling. So no Goflight etc stuff but the "real thing". However, I cannot invest in a high end home sim. Although it leaves me speechless what others have achieved in this field when time and money are no issue. For me, it comes down to the idea of a solution with a powerful main pc driving dual projectors for visual (1?? degrees) and another pc for driving gauges on monitors behind bezels. I have read numerous posts but still have not found the ultimate and save way to go. But I am pretty sure there is one. So is there anybody who has such a solution running? A solution that really works? A path I can follow with confidence? Maybe even some kind of buying list? Many thanks for supporting this!

ETomlin

Hi Bejay

I'd like to invite you over to take a look at our Eco Series Backer Panels. These are the very same backer plate used for our high-end back lit panel, but the backer itself is engraved for folks that, like yourself, want to build something that looks nice yet costs quite a bit less. All the details and pricing can be found here-

http://flightlevel180.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=123

Feel free to contact us and we can get you even more details via email or phone.

Thanks,
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

jackpilot

Jack

ETomlin

Thanks Jack

We had a hand-full of customers that really wanted to build the LJ45 but could not afford at the time to buy both panels and hardware. This solution allows more flexibility and is future-proof for the builder.

All the best,
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

bejay

Folks,

My main focus is the dual projection system: Which projectors, resolution, FOV, frame rate, pc/grafic card. Is there someone out there with a solid working solution?

Nat Crea

Hi Bjorn

I don't think you'll get the magic one-shot answer/solution to your question...
too many variables and preferences involved.
Not to mention most people here use 3 or more Projectors/TV's.
Break down your visual system into smaller components/questions.

Nat

saabpilot

Hi there,

As far as I know there is either one or three projectors (or TV screens used) not two.
This as you need frontview and fwd left and right views.
Those can be stretched to 220 degrees FOV.
The latest Nvidia cards support 3 projectors.

Suitable projectors are e.g. the Benq with ST suffix.
They are able of the 0.5 short throw neccesary for a 737 cockpit.
At the moment no short thow (0.5 or less) HD projectors are available other than super expensive ones.
Another possible solution is large (55-60 inches) LED TV, but then you have to live with some minor disturbing bezels.
Easy to set up, no screen and warping software required.
HD views possible with the latest Nvidia cards.

If you use 3 projectors, best screen solution is a semicircular one, then requiring a "warping program".

A single projector use a flat screen of say 100 inches with a sole frontview.
Drawbacks are lack of speed feeling and immersion as well as a more pixellated view.
Graphic card and PC requirements are substancly less than for the three projector setup.
Unfortunately the fun factor too.

Best,
Bjorn
Stockholm

Sent from Samsung via Tapatalk 4

Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

bejay

....thank you for your first input. I came up with the idea of two projectors just to get good frame rates. Therefor I would not mind to get less FOV, say, 160 or so. As far as I know edge blending software would work with two pj as well. But again, I feel highly insecure ... I just do not want to spend xxxx cash for trail & error.

Bjorn

Bob Reed

I used 2 Plasma screen TVs for some time as my out the window views. It actually worked very well. Down side was, because of the bezels, if you lined up the runway in the center of the plane, you could not see the runway during approach. So I would keep the runway to the left of center which turns out made the crabbing much less. Now with 2 projectors I think you could do pretty well.... Just   :2cw:

ETomlin

If you're starting out on a budget, and are serious about flying the aircraft, then I'd go with a single HDTV or Projector and then focus on your hardware that you interact with the aircraft with. Why? Several reasons. To start with you want to get the most bang for your buck, so compromise on the elaborate visuals and fly with a single screen. Many of us have done it for years with no bad effects at all. It's not so bad, I promise. Secondly, when you're really focused on flying a jet, you're not looking out the front window all that much after take off or until landing. Once you're able to, then you begin to expand both your visuals and hardware as able. None of us here built our sims in a small amount of time, or all at once. It's too expensive and time consuming to do it fast and all at once.

:2cw:
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

Sam Llorca

I agree with Eric, on my early days of sim building I only had a couple of 7" CRT  monitors and a few switches, man I was in heaven!!!.
But today there is a lot of choices out there, to me the outside view is not so important unless you want to fly a small 172 and look out the window.
What ever your choice is, make it a happy one, you know your budget better than anyone else.
Enjoy!!!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate