Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
724 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 762
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 724
Total: 724

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Northern FlightSim projection screen

Started by navymustang, June 06, 2016, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navymustang

Just set up my new 200 degree HFOV 14 ft diameter projection screen from Northern Flight Sim in Florida.
Projectors will be set up over the next week. Using three Optoma GT1080 with FlyElise Immersive Display Pro as the Warp & Blend solution. Will initially drive from a single video card (waiting on a GTX1080). If frame rates need improving, may switch to a three PC setup, one for each channel.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Sam Llorca

Aerosim Solutions

I have the same set up Jim and have no frame rate problems with my GTX980 card. I used a Th2Go as recommended by the FlyEliseNG manual. FlyTampa Sydney with rain and AI traffic gets it down to low 20s but my average would be low 30s. Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

navymustang

More pics of work this weekend on the design and build of the projector platform and the first trial run of the projectors using the new screen.

Note, the long threaded rods were there because I didn't have a second pair of hands to help lift the board. So they were cut to proper length after the lower tray assembly was lifted into place with the nuts and washers.

Waiting on my dongle-based copy of Immersive Display Pro to start the alignment process.
Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Ridgenj

HI Jim,.I got the same.screen from Art.and have also three Optima GT 1080. I was.planmimg.to use a master and three slaves,  waiting for the Nvidia  too. My plan was to use the high end for the master and Gtx 960 for the three  IC's

As usual I.am delayed like 5 month  from my original timetable  and have time to see how others are progressing.
The only difference is that I will be using x-plane 10

How is the HUD progressing. Got a 28V 400Hz power unit for Rob A.
Cheers
Luis

Ridgenj

Dear Jim, what is the distance from screen to lens when you fitted the projectors at the ceiling
Cheers
Luis

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

navymustang

Luis,
Approximately 6 feet. I can give you a precise measurement if needed. I am using the Fly Elise Immersive Designer Pro software to create the projector set up.

My three new PCs from Rave computer just arrived with NVidia 1080s in the 2U chassis. Using WideView and WideTraffic on a host visual to synch the three projector PCs.
Just for fun, set P3D to standard on all parameters and set FPS to unlimited. Got 240 FPS. However, when setting the autogen buildings, etc to a value that is more realistic visually, I now ideal between 40 and 60 FPS. My host PC will be driving the 3 visual PCs at 35 FPS.
Using FlyElise Immersive Display Pro and Calibration Pro on each of the 3 visual PCs.

HUD installation is next. The cockpit trim panel is in place - that will guide the design of the projector mounting brackets. Then I will align the collimating glass to the projector.
Should be working by end of year.

AngeloC

Lookin real good Jim! Man, feels like just yesterday I was there hitting TOGA!

Ridgenj

Many thanks  Jim, I got already the Strix  1080 for the host and Strix GTX 1070 OC for the IGs.
Should  I just  order 1080 for all 4 units.
Do you use I5 for the IG or all on I7?
HUD is down in my list but please share once you have it up.
Cheers
Luis

navymustang

I am using a 970 card for the host driving the 3 visual PCs which all have 1080s.

All computers are I7s.

I'll post a major report on the HUD once she is close to operational
Jim

Ridgenj

Thanks Jim, the first time I saw this concept it was described by Nat Crea. In his concept the host/server should have the powerful card with no local  rendering and feeding  the IC"s which could be lower cards and lower CPUs since the muscle work is being done by the host.
My current config is I7 6700K plus Strix 1080 and 3 x IG's I5 6600 plus Strix 1070 OC.
Weather engine  is FSGW plus REX and Mytraffic  are sitting both in their own PC's.Display are also distributed in two PC's. I just upgraded my entire networked PC's and got the Optoma GT1080's. I use Ethernet cards as much as I can.

Cheers
Luis

bernard S

The magic number for a HUDS is 14 ..that's the measurement from the eye point once you set the combiner with the finger test ;-) ... I assume you gutted the projector and are using an everyday power supply and how did you up the anti as so.easy lcd tft not bright enough !

navymustang

The only thing I did to the stock Rockwell projector was remove the CRT. All other components are intact. I still need to complete the alignment and mounting before I can say whether or not the display is bright enough.
Jim

bernard S

Hi.Jim... as you know I have a HUDS that is fully operational my issue is mounting I brought x2  sets off our man (orginal units) now converted for sim use ..the CRT is x2 as bright as lcd or tft .. the issues I face are

A ... Weight  of the projector and a housing for it so it does'not look like after thought the 74 internally is small so the location points for it require that one  is  very short person

B ... The combiner glass from the Rockwell unit is huge and as it is exceptionally tight between my MIP and top of window my Combiner glass would have to be permanently down

C... The 74 was never designed to accept a HUDS although AF1 has one and a local company are working on an STC for fitting

navymustang

I have actually completely removed the eyebrow windows form my sim and have a grey pleated cloth fabric there to allow for the room I need.

My surprise is how close the projector front lens is from the combiner glass.

bernard S

Yes'14 inches from eye point really throws you at first

Ridgenj

Current idea will be to point all sceneries from the IG'S to a cloud server. Beau (P3D3 Guru) and Jim suggested this approached at the same time.
I have a FreeNAS server using a high end server and 10 TBs. I have an Intel Card that clear possible bus bottlenecks.
Has someone here used this approach for multichannel rendering?

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate