Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 08:32:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
102 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New Optoma HD Projector

Started by FredK, August 20, 2014, 10:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredK

The new Optoma HD projector GT1080 appears to be ideally suited for a cockpit application.....

See the following link: http://www.optoma.co.uk/projectordetails.aspx?PTypeDB=Home%20Entertainment&PC=GT1080

Native Resolution: 1920 X 1080
Throw ratio: 0.50
Brightness: 2800
Contrast Ratio: 25,000

HDMI input only

Also, the vertical angle of projection is set so the projector can be nominally positoned significantly higher than the screen (about 10-12 inches) enabling convenient overhead clearance with little or no need for keystone correction.

Just released in Europe, not yet available in the U.S.  Early reviews appear to be very good.

Street price is very reasonable at about $800.

This (times 3) could very well be my Christmas present this year!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

fordgt40

Hi Fred

A good spot, thanks  :)

Just one puzzling thing in the specs. It says it is HD with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 which is great. However, a few lines further down it says Maximum resolution is UXGA 1600 x 1200  :(

Odd, or perhaps I am not understanding something

David

FredK

David -

I think that is a typo since it really makes no sense at all.

On the U.S. website (which was apparently posted just today) they have "Maximum Resolution" specified as WUXGA (1920 X 1200). That would make more sense since that would be more "pixels" than the "Native Resolution" (1920 x 1080).  The UXGA would be less "pixels". So it is safe to say it is true 1920 x 1080.  I would recommend a call into the company to be absolutely sure about that though for any major investment.

Link for U.S. website:

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/GT1080

.......or maybe there is just a pixel shortage in the UK right now????

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

fordgt40

Hi Fred

I think you are right! There is not a shortage of pixels in the UK - just a lack of management and experience to proof read important documents.  :(

I now need to get out the graph paper and draw cockpit outlines to see if I can use the projectors  :)

Regards

David

Jon Boe

Nice.  Be great to get a report from someone who can validate the image quality

Jon
B737 MAX.  FDS DSDT.  205 degree U Screen, 3-projector system with P3D V4.5.  Sim-Avionics software.

milezee

Hi,

has anyone tried this projector yet?

I'm nearing purchase of a single beamer. Its either this or the BenQ 1080st.

Jon Boe

I couldn't wait and purchased three of them.  1920 x 1080 native is what you get.  No optical zoom, just digital zoom and I felt that the .50 throw ratio was maybe a little greater than that.  I replaced BenQs with a .51 throw ratio and my images are a bit smaller with the new ones at the same point.

Image is outstanding and you have all of the tools built in to optimize intensity and color balance if need be.  The mounting holes are much closer together than either the Mitsubishi or BenQ projectors that I've used in the past but the universal mounts will work.

Cheers,

Jon
B737 MAX.  FDS DSDT.  205 degree U Screen, 3-projector system with P3D V4.5.  Sim-Avionics software.

milezee

Nice!

I'm still juggling ideas vs budget vs space

Top of list is possible single beam 1080 short throw to a curved screen.

Also considering 2 x 1280x720 vertical, but then blend is down the middle.
3 x 1280x720 vertical works better and still inbudget. Is there much to gain in resolution + fov versus a single 1920x1080 in that case.

I could go 2 x Optomas 1080 ST, but I'm not gonna have the gfx beef to drive that for a while, am considering a single regular titan or GFX980 for now.

Anyone's views appreciated.

RayS

I currently run 2 short-throws onto a curved screen.

I do have 3 projectors but am holding off until I can redesign my screen.

Some observations with using 2 projectors:

1. Align both screens so that there's no image overlap. If you do, the issues of image overlay will become painfully evident at night and it will bother the heck out of you.

2. When you do align the 2 projectors, make certain that the edges vertical alignment are near perfect. You'll need a crosshatch laser leveler for this.

3. Although you may buy identical projectors, unless they are matched optically at the factory, you will probably notice slight color variations. Your warping software should be able to dial both images to match.

4. My current screen is 120 degrees around. Even with 2 projectors, the stretching will introduce a slight resolution/brightness loss. Not bad, but once you get 3 projectors aligned, you'll be amazed at the difference.

5. My projectors are mounted to a metal plate attached to the ceiling. The projectors are held in place by super-strong neodymium magnets attached to the projector base. This allows for minute mechanical adjustments as necessary.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something... Let me know if you want any other information.

Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate