Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 09:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
56 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

LED annunciators with LINDA and Arduino

Started by OJ149, February 06, 2021, 12:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJ149

Hi I'm new here and wondering if I could have some help.

I'm trying to build an overhead panel with LED annunciators. So far I've managed to get some switches connected to an Arduino acting as a joystick, and using LINDA have them act as switches inside the aircraft. The next step for me would be to try and get some LEDs to act as the annunciator lights in the aircraft.

Using LINDA I've managed to find the Lua Variables for the lights I want, but I'm not sure how to have LINDA communicate with the Arduino to output the Lua Variable to the LED.

Any ideas guys?

Many Thanks
Oscar

ame

I'd like to help, however I have never heard of LINDA and neither has Google it would seem.

I got a couple of hits, but nothing useful.

It's possible you are thinking of using a project that is so old nobody remembers it, or so obscure nobody is using it. If there is a thriving LINDA community then they are well hidden.

Can you provide a link to the instructions you have followed so far? It's good that you have it working to get data in to the simulator. It might only be a small step to get data out, or it might not be possible at all.

ame

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't call the LINDA community "vibrant" but it does look like it's not quite dead. Obviously the OP should really be asking for help there.

I couldn't find any examples of using LINDA for output. It seems to be a Lua scripting layer on top of FSUIPC. LINDA is not open source, so the number of core developers is small. FSUIPC is also not open source, and you have to buy it to use LINDA.

Going up one level, I couldn't find an obvious way to get FSUIPC to do it either.

The closest thing I found that might work is Mobiflight:
https://www.mobiflight.com/en/tutorials/led-parking-brake.html

So, to answer your question, it seems you can't get there from here. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

navymustang

It might not be applicable to your efforts, but I use Air Manager for everything. It is designed to create instrument displays, but it also functions perfectly to drive Arduino cards of all types with pre-built code modules (examples) that can be downloaded from a library.

My helicopter sim uses Air Manager and I currently have three Arduino Mega cards running with it, along with native Lua code invoked via Linda to interact with the outside world. So for example, I use Air Manager to talk with the Arduino cards, but use Lua with Linda to talk to the Leo Bodner cards.

There is a free trial period for you to evaluate.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FSAddon_boss

Quote from: navymustang on February 08, 2021, 05:25:21 AMIt might not be applicable to your efforts, but I use Air Manager for everything. It is designed to create instrument displays, but it also functions perfectly to drive Arduino cards of all types with pre-built code modules (examples) that can be downloaded from a library.

This interesting...... I own AirManager and didn't know this. Would it then substitute a tool like Mobiflight for activating switches and LEDs on my cockpit panel ?
Best regards,
Francois
retired

ame

Quote from: FSAddon_boss on August 02, 2021, 10:20:11 PM
Quote from: navymustang on February 08, 2021, 05:25:21 AMIt might not be applicable to your efforts, but I use Air Manager for everything. It is designed to create instrument displays, but it also functions perfectly to drive Arduino cards of all types with pre-built code modules (examples) that can be downloaded from a library.

This interesting...... I own AirManager and didn't know this. Would it then substitute a tool like Mobiflight for activating switches and LEDs on my cockpit panel ?

AirManager sucks just as badly as all the others. There's a bunch of documentation and examples. Pick one and we'll talk you through it.

_alioth_

I know link2fs, air manager and mobiflight software..

At the end of the day, I really prefer to write my own LUA script through FSUIPC to send and receive data from p3d and arduino.
One lua script for each arduino/teensy.

You have complete control of the variables, but, you have to code everything.

In fsuipc support forum you can find a lot of info.

Arturo.

FSAddon_boss

Many thanks Arturo ! Am looking into all options before deciding what heading to take ! Would love to have a cockpit that's portable to any of the 4 main sims, although I am currently looking at FSX first, since all my investments have gone into that sim over the years.
Best regards,
Francois
retired

jackpilot

Quote from: FSAddon_boss on August 03, 2021, 07:22:24 AMMI am currently looking at FSX first, since all my investments have gone into that sim over the years.
Hi Francois
I would start straight with P3D which is basically FSX legacy on steroids.
Your investments should "keep their value" on that platform and you would enjoy the bonus of 64 bits.
My two cents
Jack 

Jack

FSAddon_boss

Yes, I have V5 on my machine, and most of the add-ons work on it. But I'd have to install A LOT of things to make it look anywhere near current FSX ...... I think. Started it a few times and it looks so barren  :-[

I can put the decision off for a little while, getting into this Arduino stuff first. P3D also uses FSUIPC, correct?
Best regards,
Francois
retired

jackpilot

Quote from: FSAddon_boss on August 04, 2021, 04:12:37 AMStarted it a few times and it looks so barren 

P3D also uses FSUIPC, correct?

Check your settings because P3D is anything but barren
Yes for FSUIPC

Default P3D :

Jack

FSAddon_boss

Have yet to try it on my new computer...... maybe things have changed then  ;D  ;D
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate