Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
134 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Help regarding FLAP detents in FSUIPC

Started by dodiano, September 26, 2009, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodiano

A question regarding FSUIPC how do you assign detents for example for the Default 737? I try to do it in the Buttons/switches assign but you only have Flap 1 through 4 basically anyone can help? I am using Switch for each position!

Thanks!

Trevor Hale

Quote from: dodiano on September 26, 2009, 05:04:36 PM
A question regarding FSUIPC how do you assign detents for example for the Default 737? I try to do it in the Buttons/switches assign but you only have Flap 1 through 4 basically anyone can help? I am using Switch for each position!

Thanks!

Roberto, 

I have only ever seen anyone use a potentiometer to set the variables for each Flap setting.  I am sure you can assign a flap value with the button by setting the offset.

I recall Peter Dowson in the other forum refer in a post to (8 settings) would divide the total offset max value into equal chunks 8 times.  (4 Settings) would divide it into 4 equal chunks.

Basically, what I am getting at, is once you do the math, set the offset to each value in each button press.  You may need some trial and error, but I though you should be able to do it.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

As far as I remember the flaps can be calibrated as an axix, assigning a value for each physical detent? no? yes?
(still working on My TQ, Flaps not yet done))

Jack

Trevor Hale

Quote from: jackpilot on September 27, 2009, 10:22:27 AM
As far as I remember the flaps can be calibrated as an axix, assigning a value for each physical detent? no? yes?
(still working on My TQ, Flaps not yet done))

Jack, that is the best way to do it.  with a pot and the Axis.  Roberto is using switches though, a little tougher.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

dodiano

Yeah Trev,

Going back to the Axis idea... The thing is LEVEL D 767 has each offset for the flaps so basically my Switch idea works but the rest simply won't so I have to make the Flap Axis again... My 767 Throttle Quad will have the switch per position I guess the G-737 will have to stick with Axis!

Regards!

Trevor Hale

Quote from: dodiano on September 27, 2009, 08:22:09 PM
Yeah Trev,

Going back to the Axis idea... The thing is LEVEL D 767 has each offset for the flaps so basically my Switch idea works but the rest simply won't so I have to make the Flap Axis again... My 767 Throttle Quad will have the switch per position I guess the G-737 will have to stick with Axis!

Regards!

Actually Roberto.. there is an even better way of doing it.  I have never done it, however there is a way in FSUIPC to assign a "Button press" for each section of the axis.  In essence you would still use a pot to control the flap lever, but for each range you can assign a keypress for it if that makes sense.. 

So if you are saying that the Level D needs button presses to assign the flap settings, inside fsuipc you can say that when the pot is within this range you send this keypress, and when it is within this range you assign this keypress etc..

Hope that helps.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

I think the problem with that is within FS there is only flap up/flap down keypresses with no settings. The flaps just extend or retract to the next setting.

Wouldn't this be a problem determining whether the flaps were retracting or extending? Or are there other selections available within FSUIPC for flap buttons?

A pot would sure take care of the problem, though it might require a re-work of the quadrant.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

hexpope

Just thought that I would add this answer to the thread in case if anyone else searches for an answer in the future.

I have used buttons and configured them this way for each flap detente.

In FSUIPC settings (Buttons / Switches) I pressed the appropriate button and selected FS Control, and ((Flaps set)) with inputting the following parameter for each flap stage / button pressed

0     = 0 (Fully Up)

1000  = 1

6000  = 5

9000  = 15

12100 = 20

15000 = 25

16363 = 30 ( Fully Down )

That is for a Posky 777 air model. Other aircraft would be different I gather, but at least you get the idea.

jackpilot

Just a reminder in the same vein, (helping TQ builders) if you use a simple pot  for flaps.
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=686.msg5243#msg5243

Jack

NeoMorph

I've used that for the ATR 72 Condition Levers which would normally need eight switches, Jack.

Definitely makes it easier to work with. It sorted out my reverse thrust too (which was giving me nightmares tbh).
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

mikeh

just for info - my atr TQ is using encapsulated reed switches for the flaps, prop condition levers, gust lock, and hand brake
the reed switches are embedded in the TQ body and the magnets attached to the moving segments. as the magnets come infront of the reed switches they close and sioc/ fsuipc programming does the rest.  No pots, sliders or moving parts!
ATR72 build project

jackpilot

Hey Mikeh
Not sure that it is an easier solution to implement vs a single 2 wires pot and  FSUIPC calibration.
:D
Jack
SIOC Challenged Builder

Jack

NeoMorph

Might not be easier Jack but pots wear out... those reed switches will be working when the pot is history. That's one reason that some people use hall effect sensors instead of pots.

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

jackpilot

Speaking of which , Phidgets sell a mag sensor... works fairly  well. I use it for the rudder system, where travel can be an issue for a slider or a geared pot.

(In any case changing a pot costs peanuts, even the ceramic variety, and takes no time.)

Jack

fordgt40

I have dozens of pots and only three reed switches in my sim. Guess what, one of the reed switches failed after only a few cycles  :(

jackpilot

This is what Dzus (clips?) are made for! :D

Jack

NeoMorph

Thanks Jack.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate